AMD Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Jul 19, 2015

Client Graphics Validation Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AMD (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

On campus interview. The interview was scheduled through the jobmine service provided by the university of Waterloo. The interview was 1:1. It was scheduled with the manager of the team I was gonna work with. He himself was a University of Waterloo grad and hence was familiar with hiring coops.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me about my interests in the computer hardware. If I liked to do some hands-on work with computer hardware. Asked about lab equipment stuff. Some questions related to computer hardware. Asked about scripting languages that I felt comfortable with.   Answer Question

Software QA Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

So far I have received a phone call. It was fairly simple and she was friendly. I was too nervous and kind of hesitated. I was expecting behavioural questions and I had a sheet of notes in front of me. Didn't get to use it at all. There were a few other ones than stated below, but nothing behavioural, just 'about me' questions. Update: I got an face to face interview with two other people. They were very friendly and great. I was really scared waiting for them to come, but after meeting them made me relax naturally, maybe because they were not old? Here are most of the questions they asked: - Tell me more about yourself - If you have a bug and the developer can't fix it, what will you do? - If you have 10 things to finish by the end of the day and you cannot finish it, what will you do? - What kind of monitor do I have? - What kind of gfx card do I have? - What kind of games do I play? - What is the resolution for 1080p? (I actually messed this up) - Explain AMD's edge removal technology (when dual monitors are together) - What are the modes you can do when you use multiple monitors? (looked like they were asking for the modes from catalyst, not from windows) - You say you're tech savvy, what websites do you follow? - What experience you have with OS and what have you used? - Whats youre idea of a quality product? If we have 8million lines of code, is that quality? - What was the hardest programming thing you did? - What experience in building computers you have? - What type of display connectors are there (vga, dvi ... )? - What is the difference between DVI and HDMI? There was only 2-3 behavioural questions, the conversation steered more to my experience at previous job. They said if I get the job, i'll hear from them in two weeks. There were a few other ones. I felt like I underrepresented myself and screwed up the simplest technical questions. Anyhow, what a learning experience.

Interview Questions

• She first started off by asking me what my current compensation/salary is and what I expect.   1 Answer
    • What my work experience was "What did you do" and "what were your responsibilities" at each previous job I had   1 Answer
    • Asked if I had any experience in software processes   1 Answer
    • Asked if I had any experience in multimedia connectors (HDMI, DVI etc)   1 Answer
    • Asked why did I pick this job and where else did I apply   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD (Markham, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied to career site on amd.com. Was contacted through email for two interviews. First interview was about previous experience/soft skills, Second interview was more technical. Was then contacted a week later with offer.

Hardware Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

very good and nice interviewer! Most of the questions are very technical including verilog coding, state diagram. Do not really have time to prepare it and review the verilog coding in advance, but the interviewer is very good and lead me to solve the problems. He smiles and respect you the whole time whether you can solve the question or not.

Hardware Engineer Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I went in for an interview with 3 interviewers and it was mostly a standard interview where I answer some questions. I also had to share my previous experiences that are relevant to hardware development. Overall the interviewers were friendly and gave a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Write a code for: Given an integer, print all prime numbers up to that integer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2014.

Interview

I appplied to n internship position through school. Received interview request with in 2 days. I was interviewed by the panel of two; supervisor and manager. Interviews starts with technical questions followed by behavioral questions. Overall interview process was ok.

Interview Questions

• They gave me 5 technical questions written on a paper and I have to solve it. Questions were related to MOSFET, D latch, timing diagram e.t.c After that a bunch of behavioural question including why AMD, why electrical engineering, what would you do if there is conflict in a group, and some questions from group project and work experience written on resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through University/college career portal. Got the interview around a week later. There was the project manager and another employee at the interview. They talked about the position a little. Was not a very technical interview. Asked about resume and projects that were completed. Asked about what I knew about AMD and chips.

CAD Department PEY Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AMD in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through my university. The interview was about 1 hour long, mostly technical questions, about verilog, timing analysis of digital logic and power dissipation. The questions weren't difficult, but the interviewer seemed strangely critical of my answers. I'm not sure if he was doing it on purpose, but he came off a little harsh.

Interview Questions

• How to reduce static and dynamic power dissipation in CMOS logic   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at AMD.

Interview

I applied through university. Just had one interview. There were two interviews and both of them were nice. Both of them were Hardware Engineers. I am mainly focused on Software. But this position required both HW and SW skills so I was interested. They asked me a mixture of hardware and software questions. Mainly hardware. They asked me to write Verilog and C. Most of the questions were pretty straightforward and basic.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to write the Verilog code for a D-Flip Flop. I had forgottend verilog, so I asked them if I could write it in pseudo-code. I dervied and wrote the code from first principles. I think this impressed them.   Answer Question

I got another offer from another company that was paying more.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AMD.

Interview

Applied through the school internship program job board. Had an on-campus interview with an engineer. Talked about my past experiences, then went onto questions regarding digital logic and Verilog programming. Then I was invited for an on-site visit to meet the team and check out the work environment. Received an offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• A vending machine takes pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters. A can of pop costs 25 cents. When the amount of money inserted is equal to 25 cents, the machine dispenses the pop. When the amount of money is over 25 cents, the machine dispenses the pop and change. Draw the state diagram for the vending machine.   Answer Question