AMD

Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at AMD

Interview Details – 1 phone-scrren + 1 onsite interview
On-site interview had 6 rounds
All rounds were technical and were divided into specific topics like power, timing, logic, scripting etc.
Lunch was informal and did not involve any questions
In general, the focus was on the basics of each topic and most rounds started off the with the resume.

Interview Question – Design of a circuit to generate a pulse which is high for one cycle and low for next two cycles was unexpected. This is essentially a state-machine design question and is common.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AMD in June 2013.

Interview Details – Very good. Manager is very nice

Interview Question – not meet. everything went well   Answer Question

Interviewed at AMD

Interview Details – Got a phone screen talking about background and projects did at school. The next week went to onsite on Sunnyvale. A nice place.
Meet with 7 team member in that team. each about an hour. Different member have checked differnet area of ASIC design and verification aspects/
Overall, a nice experience.

Interview Question – How to input test signals to test chip after frabrication.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at AMD in October 2009.

Interview Details – Asked course related questions. Vlsi , computer architecture, perl , digital design

Interview Question – Not very difficult. Just a list of real time issues were addressed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as t was recession. Any job was okay for me in this field..

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online - interviewed at AMD in May 2012.

Interview Details – Learn the Basics. Rest will go on smoothly.

Interview Question – Questions on CMOS capacitance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The compensation was decent. Did not negotiate

Austin, TX

I interviewed at AMD in July 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview went on for 2 hrs. The manager was interested in my background and projects. Got an onsite interview call in 2 days. I had 6 rounds in the onsite interview, concentrating mainly on digital circuit design. Two of those rounds were implementation design, concentrating on RTL.

The questions were mostly from basics of circuit design. They tested timing, which is an important thing to prepare. FSM based design was tested.

Interview Question – Timing questions like critical path, setup and hold violations and ways to prevent them, dynamic logic and problems with timing there etc.   View Answer

Fort Collins, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AMD in June 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring manager contacted. Setup time and date. Same time HR called me. Spoke with the hiring manager and in a couple of days got an invitation for onsite. They took care of my travel and stay. Everything was fantastic. Gave me an intermediate car and stayed at Hilton, right opposite to AMD.
The interview started @ 9, was welcomed by the HR and then the hiring manager. Each rounds were an hour long. But the interviews were so great that never realized when it was done.
Took me to lunch.
The interviews were very discussion oriented and they focused on how I was tackling a problem and building on a solution.
Overall I liked the interview process.

Interview Question – Cache transaction policy   View Answers (2)

Austin, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at AMD in March 2011.

Interview Details – One of the Senior Engineers mailed me to schedule a phone screen,I had phone screen the following day,interviewer was pretty nice ,most of the time he explained about the job ,and asked a few basic questions (how would you decide best P/N ratios for speed etc).
            Onsite was scheduled a week after this .It consisted of 7 rounds 45 mins each.First one was totally on resume .Second one was on Electromigration ,IR drops.Third interviewer asked pretty basic questions about circuit design like wires ,coupling noise,interconnect speed ,variations in sram,sizing for sram.Fourth round consisted of questions on semi-custom digital design like implement three input NOR gate using two input nand gates,description of adders,state machine implementation .Fifth round was on basic device physics like band diagrams in inversion etc.Sixth round was on timing ,they will ask you to draw some kind of flip-flop and then the setup hold times related to it.The last round I wasn't asked much ,just general questions about the job ,and work place.

Interview Question – given three different capacitors which are being charged by PMOS ,which will be the most critical for Electromigration   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's my first job and I am pretty happy with what they are offering ,so didn't care to negotiate.

Very Difficult Interview

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at AMD in October 2011.

Interview Details – Referred by my friend through his manager to manager of that group. Got a call for intial telephonic screening then I got a call for fac-face interview. I was interviwed by 3 persons in 1:1 fasion for around 31/2 hrs.
They completely concentrated on Memory related stuff and ofcourse some questions repeated.

The best part of interview is thier way of approach, and the technical stuff in their questions. There was no HR round which benifited for say.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Bangalore (India)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at AMD in June 2011.

Interview Details – u should be technically sound for interview and interview depands upon the hiring group

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – try to do more negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at AMD

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMD Design Engineer II interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by AMD employees and interview candidates.