AMD Design Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

3.4

Design Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AMD in April 2015.

Interview

Got an email from the hiring manager for phone screen schedule on the next day of my online application. Was invited to on-site right after the phone screen. On the day of onsite, there were 5 sections ranging from circuit, logic design, comp arch and device. Had another Design Engineer II who worked there for one year took me for a lunch. Make sure you know everything about what you have on your resume. Make sure you really have a SOLID knowledge background in your area of study.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for AMD

Design Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD.

Interview

1) 5 Rounds of interview covering software, verification, logic design, Computer Architecture and Physical Design (little) 2) Logic Design round was difficult since tough questions about verilog coding and design using it were asked 3) Computer Architecture - covered tomasulo, cache, pipeline, interrupts etc... 4)Software - Toughest....questions asked were like how to design good application, how many lines of C++ code have you written, perl pattern matching questions

Design Engineer II Interview

Interview

1 phone-scrren + 1 onsite interview On-site interview had 6 rounds All rounds were technical and were divided into specific topics like power, timing, logic, scripting etc. Lunch was informal and did not involve any questions In general, the focus was on the basics of each topic and most rounds started off the with the resume.

Interview Questions

• Design of a circuit to generate a pulse which is high for one cycle and low for next two cycles was unexpected. This is essentially a state-machine design question and is common.   Answer Question

Design Engineer II Interview

Interview

Got a phone screen talking about background and projects did at school. The next week went to onsite on Sunnyvale. A nice place. Meet with 7 team member in that team. each about an hour. Different member have checked differnet area of ASIC design and verification aspects/ Overall, a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• How to input test signals to test chip after frabrication.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Very good. Manager is very nice

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

2 phone screen and one on site, the phone screen is about fundamental of language and computer architecture, and on site takes a whole day and takes 5-6 rounds. The question is not that difficult

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2012.

Interview

Phone interview went on for 2 hrs. The manager was interested in my background and projects. Got an onsite interview call in 2 days. I had 6 rounds in the onsite interview, concentrating mainly on digital circuit design. Two of those rounds were implementation design, concentrating on RTL. The questions were mostly from basics of circuit design. They tested timing, which is an important thing to prepare. FSM based design was tested.

Interview Questions

• Timing questions like critical path, setup and hold violations and ways to prevent them, dynamic logic and problems with timing there etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD (Fort Collins, CO) in June 2012.

Interview

Hiring manager contacted. Setup time and date. Same time HR called me. Spoke with the hiring manager and in a couple of days got an invitation for onsite. They took care of my travel and stay. Everything was fantastic. Gave me an intermediate car and stayed at Hilton, right opposite to AMD. The interview started @ 9, was welcomed by the HR and then the hiring manager. Each rounds were an hour long. But the interviews were so great that never realized when it was done. Took me to lunch. The interviews were very discussion oriented and they focused on how I was tackling a problem and building on a solution. Overall I liked the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Learn the Basics. Rest will go on smoothly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The compensation was decent. Did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

One of the Senior Engineers mailed me to schedule a phone screen,I had phone screen the following day,interviewer was pretty nice ,most of the time he explained about the job ,and asked a few basic questions (how would you decide best P/N ratios for speed etc). Onsite was scheduled a week after this .It consisted of 7 rounds 45 mins each.First one was totally on resume .Second one was on Electromigration ,IR drops.Third interviewer asked pretty basic questions about circuit design like wires ,coupling noise,interconnect speed ,variations in sram,sizing for sram.Fourth round consisted of questions on semi-custom digital design like implement three input NOR gate using two input nand gates,description of adders,state machine implementation .Fifth round was on basic device physics like band diagrams in inversion etc.Sixth round was on timing ,they will ask you to draw some kind of flip-flop and then the setup hold times related to it.The last round I wasn't asked much ,just general questions about the job ,and work place.

Interview Questions

• given three different capacitors which are being charged by PMOS ,which will be the most critical for Electromigration   Answer Question

Negotiation

It's my first job and I am pretty happy with what they are offering ,so didn't care to negotiate.