AMD Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015

Engineering Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD.

4 interviews with 3 team leads and the hiring manager. Multiple hardware failures and symptoms given for triage with real world failing components. Sub-systems were differentiated by team lead interviewing. System debug is expected to be performed during interview process. Talking through each step as triage is applied.

Interview Questions
    • The system (P.C.) under test configuration was laid out powered up upon a lab bench with Memtest 86+ running actively, the question asked " This system has a failure, you must find the failure you have 15 minutes".

Note:the memory failure that is happening each time in different bank and /rank when the failures happen. Memtest 86+ is running with faults actively on test 1, faulting.

View Answer

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AMD.

Submitted resume through professor's recommendation. Got phone interview in two weeks. Asked a lot of technical questions, including object-oriented concepts, digital circuit basic questions and something relevant to parallel computer. Also described some projects that I had worked on. The interview took about one hour. The interviewer had accent that was quite hard to understand...

Interview Questions
    • Design a FSM of Moore Machine to detect 0110 sequence.   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMD.

Multiple interviews: HR, Hiring manager and with other stake holders. Do not leave you hanging. Good communication from the recruiter. As the company is global with distributed functions, most of the interviews were phone interviews.

Physical Design Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD in January 2015.

Applied through a former co-worker. Got a call from hiring manager. It was a quick 30 min phone interview. After this, got invited to on-site interview. On-site interview was not tough, except for few difficult ( for me ) technical questions. I could answer 80=90 %. But sometimes I found it hard to understand why some interviewing persons tone was as if you have done something wrong, just because you went there to get interviewed, and they are the boss of you now. I found it hard to understand why a candidate must be treated as if he/she is inferior person than person at AMD. I felt sometimes that tone of person interviewing was hostile without any provocation. At least to me it seemed odd. But once I got over it, it was ok. Also some people and AMD were very good in treating you with common courtesy/good manners.

Sales Ops Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at AMD.

nothing unusual, very standard questions and interview process. one phone interview with HR recruiter and one on-site integer with a group of 5 people (sales and peers). the recruiter called for an offer and followed up by email. a very smooth process once accepted an offer.

Interview Questions
    • no unexpected question. if you know the job, you can answer them easily.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

It was very casual yet structured. I like my interview here better than else where where people treat interviewee like prisoners. It depends on the interviewer, but a lot of interviewers in other tech companies just can't communicate with people

Intern Interview

Phone interview and then Meetup. Informal and very relaxing. Asked some technical questions as well as behavioral. Great experience and felt un-pressured. Answered all questions moderately well, but didn't get contacted back.

Co-Op Engineer Interview

It was fairly simple. Got initial interview call from HR. He scheduled 30 mins of tech interview with the team I was part of. Asked me 3-4 questions on data structures, SQL, strings and Java. Got an offer

Design Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD.

1) 5 Rounds of interview covering software, verification, logic design, Computer Architecture and Physical Design (little)
    2) Logic Design round was difficult since tough questions about verilog coding and design using it were asked
    3) Computer Architecture - covered tomasulo, cache, pipeline, interrupts etc...
    4)Software - Toughest....questions asked were like how to design good application, how many lines of C++ code have you written, perl pattern matching questions

Co-Op Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD.

I had just one interview in which the interviewer tried to estimate my academic experience in the fields of physical design and verification. Some other skills like working on Linux and knowledge in scripting are also tested.
    I had a complete review of my resume.