AMD Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online, get contacted by email, phone arranged in 1 day. Basic question of resume and simple logic and layout questions. What is your relevant technical experience in this area? Setup hold time, transistor size, glitch reduction

Interview Questions

• Solve problems of parasite cap during building the layout   Answer Question

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Multi step process. Did an initial informal one on one with one of their presenters at a meet and greet hosted at my university. Submitted resume via e-mail. Did follow up phone interview with direct manager I would be working under. Then contacted by HR to fill out paper work. Rather smooth and painless process.

Interview Questions

• Familiarity with utilizing c++ and linux to handle advance math and physics problems.   1 Answer

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Had a total of 6 rounds. Every interviewer was good and friendly. First, Manager tells you about the team and work there. Then I was interviewed by 5 other members of the team.

Interview Questions

• 1. Programming questions like Fibonacci series. 2. Some questions related to Perl Programming. 3. Some questions on state machine design. 4. Synthesizable and non synthesizable constructs in Verilog. 5. Be thorough with the stuff on the resume.   Answer Question

Design Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AMD in April 2015.

Interview

Got an email from the hiring manager for phone screen schedule on the next day of my online application. Was invited to on-site right after the phone screen. On the day of onsite, there were 5 sections ranging from circuit, logic design, comp arch and device. Had another Design Engineer II who worked there for one year took me for a lunch. Make sure you know everything about what you have on your resume. Make sure you really have a SOLID knowledge background in your area of study.

Design Verification Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boxborough, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD (Boxborough, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through University. Got call from Hiring Manager , 45 min of call , asked regarding the background , skills and knowledge about the programming skills. Next round was technical, questions pretty much based on verilog and c++. After 2 days , got a call for on-site interview. 5 people took the interview about 30-45 min each. Questions based Design concepts and Verification Methodology, C/C++, Verilog and Scripting.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online for Physical Design position in Austin. Phone screening was pretty easy. Couple of questions on all the basic steps in the RTL-GDS flow: synthesis, timing, PnR etc. Got onsite call in 3-4 days. Had 6 tech interviews and 1 casual interview on-site. Each one focused on different aspects: PnR and Floor-planning, architecture, timing, digital circuits, SRAM and Power. Some of them were pretty rigorous, others could be cracked if you had done your homework.

Interview Questions

• How do you do power distribution on a chip?   Answer Question
    • How does setup and hold timing look like for a dual-phase clocking?   Answer Question
    • What are the pipeline stages in a state-of-art microprocessor?   Answer Question
    • How many gates in the critical path of a Carry-look-ahead adder?   Answer Question

Engineering Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

4 interviews with 3 team leads and the hiring manager. Multiple hardware failures and symptoms given for triage with real world failing components. Sub-systems were differentiated by team lead interviewing. System debug is expected to be performed during interview process. Talking through each step as triage is applied.

Interview Questions

• The system (P.C.) under test configuration was laid out powered up upon a lab bench with Memtest 86+ running actively, the question asked " This system has a failure, you must find the failure you have 15 minutes". Note:the memory failure that is happening each time in different bank and /rank when the failures happen. Memtest 86+ is running with faults actively on test 1, faulting.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AMD.

Interview

Submitted resume through professor's recommendation. Got phone interview in two weeks. Asked a lot of technical questions, including object-oriented concepts, digital circuit basic questions and something relevant to parallel computer. Also described some projects that I had worked on. The interview took about one hour. The interviewer had accent that was quite hard to understand...

Interview Questions

• Design a FSM of Moore Machine to detect 0110 sequence.   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD.

Interview

Multiple interviews: HR, Hiring manager and with other stake holders. Do not leave you hanging. Good communication from the recruiter. As the company is global with distributed functions, most of the interviews were phone interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through a former co-worker. Got a call from hiring manager. It was a quick 30 min phone interview. After this, got invited to on-site interview. On-site interview was not tough, except for few difficult ( for me ) technical questions. I could answer 80=90 %. But sometimes I found it hard to understand why some interviewing persons tone was as if you have done something wrong, just because you went there to get interviewed, and they are the boss of you now. I found it hard to understand why a candidate must be treated as if he/she is inferior person than person at AMD. I felt sometimes that tone of person interviewing was hostile without any provocation. At least to me it seemed odd. But once I got over it, it was ok. Also some people and AMD were very good in treating you with common courtesy/good manners.