AMD Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

Design Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at AMD.

1) 5 Rounds of interview covering software, verification, logic design, Computer Architecture and Physical Design (little)
    2) Logic Design round was difficult since tough questions about verilog coding and design using it were asked
    3) Computer Architecture - covered tomasulo, cache, pipeline, interrupts etc...
    4)Software - Toughest....questions asked were like how to design good application, how many lines of C++ code have you written, perl pattern matching questions

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AMD in April 2014.

Two rounds. A HR phone screen and a technical phone screen interview. Both ones are very kind and patient. HR just asked some basic resume questions. Technical round was using collabedit to solve some algorithm problems in C

Senior Verification Engineer Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at AMD in May 2011.

Started as a contractor and became full-time Interview was average difficulty. Asked about finite state machine, sequencer, x-propagation, FIFOs, delays . Interview was about 3 rounds and result was fast.

Co-Op Engineer Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at AMD in July 2014.

Interview went on smooth but coming to result dont know why they delay. we dont even know whether we are rejected or under consideration for the position. AMD should improve its interaction with the candidates. They donot even respond to emails once the interview is done.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AMD in January 2010.

one interview then group interviews with 5 people from the group. Met with the hiring manager briefly. Did not hear anything for 3 weeks, internal recruiter said they were busy on other projects. Hiring manager call and extended a offer...no compensation mentioned "HR will iron that out" Turned out he was one of the worse managers in my career

Hiring bonus, base

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online - interviewed at AMD in April 2011.

The hiring and interview process at AMD was implemented quite well. It was handled professionally by the human resource recruiter. First I was contacted by the hiring manager.
    Then the HR recruiter setup my first on-site interview with the manager and a few critical engineers.

My first on-site interview was quite technical since I was interviewed with all engineers.
    There was a lot of detailed discussion of my previous designs. I was asked to draw
    detail circuits from my previous designs on the black board and discussed these circuits
    in details.

In conclusion, the interview process at AMD was similar to interviews at other companies.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the technical questions were quite challenging.   Answer Question

Co-Op Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AMD.

I had just one interview in which the interviewer tried to estimate my academic experience in the fields of physical design and verification. Some other skills like working on Linux and knowledge in scripting are also tested.
    I had a complete review of my resume.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at AMD.

Standard interview questions for programming job. One debugging question. One recursion question. One problem with using gates (come up with some logic). About 6 people. 1 person takes you for lunch at the cafeteria. Hiring process was overall ok. I got proper phone and/or email updates during the process. overall experience was ok. Interviewers were sort of "normal" in the sense that they weren't intimidating nor ultra friendly - just had a normal interviewer poker face.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything extremely difficult of unexpected or out of ordinary.   Answer Question
    they check your last company (at least, if not all) salary, so don't lie.

Coop Interview

The whole process took about 30 days. First a HR round for about 20 minutes and a phone screen of about 75 minutes. After getting selected there is background check.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at AMD in May 2012.

2 phone screens, 7 people interviewed me in person; lasted from 7:45AM to 2PM. Got offer in 1-2 weeks. It was very pleasant ; and I liked Austin, TX a lot. Team is highly technical and in general will not take BSing well. Some questions on brainteasers but mostly technical hardware and software related.

Interview Questions
    • About trace driven vs execution driven modeling. Trace driven modeling is faster; and but is less realistic due to not exploring bad paths during branch prediction. Execution driven modeling usually requires the existence of a functional model - in addition to a timing model to do neat things like sampling etc.   View Answer
    negotiate frills; like vacation.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!