AMD Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

Program Manager Interview

The 1st round was pretty casual and was conducted offsite with their HR relationship manager. The 2nd one was in their headquarter office and was a very intensive interview and you realized how smart those people were :) But relax just be yourself and show your understanding of the company and how your past experience matches well with the JD

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to sell AMD chips to an Intel customer?   View Answer

Design Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AMD.

Got an email for a phone interview. Set it up real quick. It last about 45 mins. Detailed computer architecture concepts on pipelining, cache design, out-of-order. Mealy-Moore advantages and disadvantages. Not too tough if your basics are good.

Interview Questions
    • Give some examples of test vectors you may want to use to verify a CPU cache   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Telephone interview first, then on site interview of a whole day with all team member. Verilog questions and digital circuit designs

Member of Technical Staff ASIC/Layout Design Engineer Interview

1st round - phone interview
    2nd round - face-to-face interview by 5 persons, including managers and experienced engineers.

Interview Questions
    • Basically all are common tech questions. A experienced interviewee should be able to answer them.   Answer Question

ASIC Layout Design Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD.

I got an interview invitation through email. The interview was 2 hours, full technical. Questions asked were from perl (explain the regex that the manager wrote on a whiteboard), write code for a counter in verilog, What is sensitivity list?
    Then showed me a C question and to find error in it?
    Also asked me to draw a state diagram for a bit pattern (3 bits on in a row)
    A question about timing involving flip flops was also asked?

The manager was nice and said that the reason why they ask questions from different areas is to see which one the candidate is good in. So that they can put him/her there.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that difficult, you just have to try. Don't blank out!   Answer Question
    very smooth.

Design Engineer I Interview

Phone interview went on for 2 hrs. The manager was interested in my background and projects. Got an onsite interview call in 2 days. I had 6 rounds in the onsite interview, concentrating mainly on digital circuit design. Two of those rounds were implementation design, concentrating on RTL.

The questions were mostly from basics of circuit design. They tested timing, which is an important thing to prepare. FSM based design was tested.

Interview Questions
    • Timing questions like critical path, setup and hold violations and ways to prevent them, dynamic logic and problems with timing there etc.   View Answer

Senior Design Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMD.

30mins phone call followed by 45min 4 member interview

not negotiated

Member of Technical Staff Interview

head hunters company arrange the interview, asked me providing CV, and arrange interview time, the interview was in Taiwan, 4 interviewers attended this interview, they belonged to product development department and yield analysis department, questions in the interview including semiconductor process, manufacture, devices, and physical failure analysis skills. and after 1 month, there was another telephone interview, interviewer was a high level manager of product department.

Education Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD.

The position I was applying for was an Education Intern back in Summer 2012. This was in regards to a position that was very research intensive. They were very prompt, within a day I received an interview request.

I think, due to my resume and the past projects I've worked on (which were very research intensive), the interview was more behavioral. A few questions that I remember they asked include:
    1. Tell me a little about yourself.
    2. Please describe your most recent project.
    3. Please describe a situation in which you faced a problem and how you resolved it.

The woman I spoke with was very upfront about how I have the experience she was looking for and entertained a few questions from me about the position and the company.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't experience any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Although this is a great position, after careful deliberation upon receiving the job offer, I declined for the reason that this position wasn't exactly in the industry or the position that I wanted.

Software QA Technologist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AMD.

Had t 2 interviews for a contract position, the interviewers were nice and friendly. In the fist interview mosltly technical qustions were asked most of which I answered correctly. The second interview was 2 weeks later for which I had to follow up with HR. Second Interview comprised of mosly behavioural questions. I heard from them on the same day after a few hours!

Interview Questions
    • In the second intervie, many behavioural questions were asked. I did not face much difficulty in answering the questions but probably the most difficult one were related to my plans and if I will be staying in the company for a longer period. Overal it was an easy interview for me.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as it was my first job in Canada.