AMD Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

Design Verification Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boxborough, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD (Boxborough, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through University. Got call from Hiring Manager , 45 min of call , asked regarding the background , skills and knowledge about the programming skills. Next round was technical, questions pretty much based on verilog and c++. After 2 days , got a call for on-site interview. 5 people took the interview about 30-45 min each. Questions based Design concepts and Verification Methodology, C/C++, Verilog and Scripting.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online for Physical Design position in Austin. Phone screening was pretty easy. Couple of questions on all the basic steps in the RTL-GDS flow: synthesis, timing, PnR etc. Got onsite call in 3-4 days. Had 6 tech interviews and 1 casual interview on-site. Each one focused on different aspects: PnR and Floor-planning, architecture, timing, digital circuits, SRAM and Power. Some of them were pretty rigorous, others could be cracked if you had done your homework.

Interview Questions

• How do you do power distribution on a chip?   Answer Question
    • How does setup and hold timing look like for a dual-phase clocking?   Answer Question
    • What are the pipeline stages in a state-of-art microprocessor?   Answer Question
    • How many gates in the critical path of a Carry-look-ahead adder?   Answer Question

Product Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD (Manila, Manila (Philippines)) in January 2011.

Interview

The selection process consisted of 1 written exam, followed by 1 one-on-one interview and then 2 panel (over-the-phone) interviews. The first interview was pretty general consisting of questions covering my experience in semiconductor industry, problem solving scenarios and education. The second interview was a panel interview of about 3 people, where they've asked me to explain the architecture of a microprocessor, potential causes of failure when final testing a semiconductor device and debugging techniques. During the third and final interview, I was asked mostly software development questions in C/C++, classes, inheritance, object oriented programming, etc.

Interview Questions

• Explain the architecture of a microprocessor and describe how each component works.   Answer Question
    • What is object oriented programming?   Answer Question
    • Define classes, inheritance, objects?   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would approach debugging a device failure during final testing.   Answer Question

Financial Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AMD (Cyberjaya (Malaysia)) in June 2013.

Interview

It was a simple & easy interview because they are desperate to look for someone who can speak Spanish & Portuguese. It's OK if you dont have any finance background, training will be provided.

Interview Questions

• Do you like long holiday break?   1 Answer

Engineering Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

4 interviews with 3 team leads and the hiring manager. Multiple hardware failures and symptoms given for triage with real world failing components. Sub-systems were differentiated by team lead interviewing. System debug is expected to be performed during interview process. Talking through each step as triage is applied.

Interview Questions

• The system (P.C.) under test configuration was laid out powered up upon a lab bench with Memtest 86+ running actively, the question asked " This system has a failure, you must find the failure you have 15 minutes".

Note:the memory failure that is happening each time in different bank and /rank when the failures happen. Memtest 86+ is running with faults actively on test 1, faulting.

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD (Markham, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied to career site on amd.com. Was contacted through email for two interviews. First interview was about previous experience/soft skills, Second interview was more technical. Was then contacted a week later with offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through University/college career portal. Got the interview around a week later. There was the project manager and another employee at the interview. They talked about the position a little. Was not a very technical interview. Asked about resume and projects that were completed. Asked about what I knew about AMD and chips.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AMD.

Interview

Submitted resume through professor's recommendation. Got phone interview in two weeks. Asked a lot of technical questions, including object-oriented concepts, digital circuit basic questions and something relevant to parallel computer. Also described some projects that I had worked on. The interview took about one hour. The interviewer had accent that was quite hard to understand...

Interview Questions

• Design a FSM of Moore Machine to detect 0110 sequence.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through a former co-worker. Got a call from hiring manager. It was a quick 30 min phone interview. After this, got invited to on-site interview. On-site interview was not tough, except for few difficult ( for me ) technical questions. I could answer 80=90 %. But sometimes I found it hard to understand why some interviewing persons tone was as if you have done something wrong, just because you went there to get interviewed, and they are the boss of you now. I found it hard to understand why a candidate must be treated as if he/she is inferior person than person at AMD. I felt sometimes that tone of person interviewing was hostile without any provocation. At least to me it seemed odd. But once I got over it, it was ok. Also some people and AMD were very good in treating you with common courtesy/good manners.

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMD.

Interview

Multiple interviews: HR, Hiring manager and with other stake holders. Do not leave you hanging. Good communication from the recruiter. As the company is global with distributed functions, most of the interviews were phone interviews.