AMD Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

CMO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

Successive one-hour interviews with key executives, including CEO. The process was typical of what would expect at a senior level. The interviews were collegial and conversational, focusing on viewpoints, strategic know-how and situational handling. Everything was handled professionally, from arranging travel to having an internal HR person escort me to the various meeting rooms to meet with each executive.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified to handle this challenge?   1 Answer
    • What can you point to in your past that demonstrates an ability to lead change, and turn around a situation?   1 Answer

Graphic Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AMD (Markham, ON (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

On- site interview in their company with the team manager, the overall process takes about 1 hr. Talked about the AMD team, and what their team did. Some C++ questions, GPU and computer graphic basic questions. No behavior question at all. The manager did not prepare some specific, and not sure what he really wanted.

Business Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD in September 2014.

Interview

Interview process is smooth and hirer did not pose alot of challenging questions but rather the usual stuffs. Total of 3 rounds with hiring manager/HR and Vice President of APAC region

Client Graphics Validation Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AMD (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

On campus interview. The interview was scheduled through the jobmine service provided by the university of Waterloo. The interview was 1:1. It was scheduled with the manager of the team I was gonna work with. He himself was a University of Waterloo grad and hence was familiar with hiring coops.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me about my interests in the computer hardware. If I liked to do some hands-on work with computer hardware. Asked about lab equipment stuff. Some questions related to computer hardware. Asked about scripting languages that I felt comfortable with.   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied through school career fair, one round of interview lasting one hour. I got the result 2 months afterwards. The interview was consisted with 2 senior employees from AMD and me. During that time it was a SMTS and a senior designer who interviewed me. They asked basic questions from their fields, including designing hardware components using Verilog. They also asked software questions, such as debugging a program, write an algorithm for some scenario, or a math problem that is very open ended.

Interview Questions

• Mostly hardware related. Such as design basic hardware components using Verilog. Also debugging C++ language programs.   1 Answer

Design Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AMD in March 2013.

Interview

I got an email for a quick phone call. I then had 5 one-hour Skype sessions with 5 different people, with 15 minute breaks between each person. Each person had different areas of expertise and were all on the team that I was interviewing for. I got questions ranging from work habits to technical questions. I didn't have any written questions because this was a video call, so all of my answers were verbal answers.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the most challenging problems you came across and how did you debug it?   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Had a total of 6 rounds. Every interviewer was good and friendly. First, Manager tells you about the team and work there. Then I was interviewed by 5 other members of the team.

Interview Questions

• 1. Programming questions like Fibonacci series. 2. Some questions related to Perl Programming. 3. Some questions on state machine design. 4. Synthesizable and non synthesizable constructs in Verilog. 5. Be thorough with the stuff on the resume.   Answer Question

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMD (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was for a month with two interviews of two hours each. I had a great impression from the interviewers and it was a nice experience although it was very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm that makes a knight, in chess, be in all the places of the board only one time.   1 Answer

SMTS Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMD (Markham, ON (Canada)) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview followed with onsite interview twice. First onsite interview was in a small meeting room with two people. Second interview was in a big meeting room with a group people.

Interview Questions

• Generic questions about previous working experience. Some questions on C/C++.   Answer Question

Software QA Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

So far I have received a phone call. It was fairly simple and she was friendly. I was too nervous and kind of hesitated. I was expecting behavioural questions and I had a sheet of notes in front of me. Didn't get to use it at all. There were a few other ones than stated below, but nothing behavioural, just 'about me' questions. Update: I got an face to face interview with two other people. They were very friendly and great. I was really scared waiting for them to come, but after meeting them made me relax naturally, maybe because they were not old? Here are most of the questions they asked: - Tell me more about yourself - If you have a bug and the developer can't fix it, what will you do? - If you have 10 things to finish by the end of the day and you cannot finish it, what will you do? - What kind of monitor do I have? - What kind of gfx card do I have? - What kind of games do I play? - What is the resolution for 1080p? (I actually messed this up) - Explain AMD's edge removal technology (when dual monitors are together) - What are the modes you can do when you use multiple monitors? (looked like they were asking for the modes from catalyst, not from windows) - You say you're tech savvy, what websites do you follow? - What experience you have with OS and what have you used? - Whats youre idea of a quality product? If we have 8million lines of code, is that quality? - What was the hardest programming thing you did? - What experience in building computers you have? - What type of display connectors are there (vga, dvi ... )? - What is the difference between DVI and HDMI? There was only 2-3 behavioural questions, the conversation steered more to my experience at previous job. They said if I get the job, i'll hear from them in two weeks. There were a few other ones. I felt like I underrepresented myself and screwed up the simplest technical questions. Anyhow, what a learning experience.

Interview Questions

• She first started off by asking me what my current compensation/salary is and what I expect.   1 Answer
    • What my work experience was "What did you do" and "what were your responsibilities" at each previous job I had   1 Answer
    • Asked if I had any experience in software processes   1 Answer
    • Asked if I had any experience in multimedia connectors (HDMI, DVI etc)   1 Answer
    • Asked why did I pick this job and where else did I apply   Answer Question