AMD Senior Design Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online for Physical Design position in Austin. Phone screening was pretty easy. Couple of questions on all the basic steps in the RTL-GDS flow: synthesis, timing, PnR etc. Got onsite call in 3-4 days. Had 6 tech interviews and 1 casual interview on-site. Each one focused on different aspects: PnR and Floor-planning, architecture, timing, digital circuits, SRAM and Power. Some of them were pretty rigorous, others could be cracked if you had done your homework.

Interview Questions

• How do you do power distribution on a chip?   Answer Question
  • How does setup and hold timing look like for a dual-phase clocking?   Answer Question
  • What are the pipeline stages in a state-of-art microprocessor?   Answer Question
  • How many gates in the critical path of a Carry-look-ahead adder?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for AMD

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Standard interview questions for programming job. One debugging question. One recursion question. One problem with using gates (come up with some logic). About 6 people. 1 person takes you for lunch at the cafeteria. Hiring process was overall ok. I got proper phone and/or email updates during the process. overall experience was ok. Interviewers were sort of "normal" in the sense that they weren't intimidating nor ultra friendly - just had a normal interviewer poker face.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't anything extremely difficult of unexpected or out of ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

they check your last company (at least, if not all) salary, so don't lie.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

2 phone screens, 7 people interviewed me in person; lasted from 7:45AM to 2PM. Got offer in 1-2 weeks. It was very pleasant ; and I liked Austin, TX a lot. Team is highly technical and in general will not take BSing well. Some questions on brainteasers but mostly technical hardware and software related.

Interview Questions

• About trace driven vs execution driven modeling. Trace driven modeling is faster; and but is less realistic due to not exploring bad paths during branch prediction. Execution driven modeling usually requires the existence of a functional model - in addition to a timing model to do neat things like sampling etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

negotiate frills; like vacation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in January 2009.

Interview

onsite interview following phone interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not much was negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in October 2007.

Interview

Hiring process not very complicated. Submitted resume to a Fellow at AMD who passed it along to the appropriate hiring manager. Background fit so I got a call and scheduled an interview. The interview was long and VERY technical. I believe there 7 or 8 1 on 1 interviews, beginning with the hiring manager who just went over the basics and asked if I had questions. Then the fun began. One after another, 7 more people, all technical, interviewed me. The questions were basic, but you had to know your undergrad engineering quite well. Some questions as I remember them: 1) Basics of inverter in/out curves 2) Logical reduction 3) Device stacking (pros/cons, tapering, total width) 4) device physics (nmos cross section, channel, saturation, DIBL)

Interview Questions

• In saturation, the channel region pinches off well before the drain. How does current get from the source to drain then? (Since the channel is pinched off, it does not touch the drain)   3 Answers

Negotiation

Negotiation wasn't too bad. They wanted to know current salary, which I did tell them since the initial offer was only 2k more than current salary. In all, I got less than a 10% bump up in pay. It was mostly me telling the recruiter why I should be paid more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2007.

Interview

I submitted my resume through another company employee and it caught the attention of a manager who contacted me initially through the phone. He explained to me the project that he was hiring for and wanted to gauge my interest. We talked about potential responsibilities of the role and then arranged for an on-site interview. The on-site interview took a little more than half-a-day. I was interviewed first by a more junior engineer who described to me the company culture and asked me some basic questions concerning chip-timing. I was then interviewed by a senior engineer, who later became my manager, concerning register files since I had mentioned on my resume that I recently worked on one. He wanted to gauge whether I had a large or small part in the design and whether I understood the most important concepts. I was then taken to lunch by another senior engineer who told me why I should consider working for the company and the large scope of the project that I would be working on. He also conceded that on a chip this size, that my opportunities for vertical engineering (being involved in every aspect of the project from RTL, design, verification) and the number of block I would own might be more limited than at a startup but that the complexity of the problem was much greater than if I would join a smaller company. I was then interviewed by the senior manager who contacted me. He asked me about computer architecture, specifically about the ALU Bypass loop (register file, bypass mux, comparator, adder) since I was involved in that area of design at a previous job. He also asked virtual to physical address translation which was also mentioned in part on my resume. This was followed by another interview where with another senior engineer who asked me to solve a tricky problem on transistor operating modes. Last, I was interviewed by a final senior manager about driving large loads through repeaters and how there was a useful upper limit on their sizes. I was then escorted out of the building and told that a decision would be made quickly.

Interview Questions

• How might all the different bit fields of the virtual address be used in the process of the CPU converting from virtual to physical addresses?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to raise the amount of my base-salary by a little more than 5% after the initial offer. They seemed determined to hire me so I also insisted on about double the number of restricted stock units that were initially offered. Overall, I would recommend that people try to get multiple offers to give yourself more bargaining power but be ready to walk-away if the employer does not come close to your salary target.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD.

Interview

30mins phone call followed by 45min 4 member interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not negotiated

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AMD in April 2011.

Interview

They asked about my work and mainly touched upon the basics of digital circuit design, clock dividers etc.

Interview Questions

• 2L length transistor versus cascaded transistors. What is the tradeoff between performance and leakage.   Answer Question

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Markham, ON (Canada)) in March 2010.

Interview

All communications were through email; from sending in my resume, to setting up the interview. The only phone call I had was when the offer was made. The interview was an all-day affair from 9am to ~4pm; and consisted of interviewing with 4 people. The first was a discussion with the hiring manager which was a smooth discussion discussing grad work and confirming the alignment of my degrees with the expectations of the job. Then I had three technical interviews by senior engineers who had no background in my field of study. Each interviewer presented some general problem solving questions; nothing difficult, but nothing that can be prepared for. I was given a tour of the office and met with a couple of people that I would be working with. As it was my first job, the process seemed normal; however, in hindsight there are a couple of red flags that I should have seen. If I were to experience any of these again, I would never accept a position with the company. Red Flag 1. I drove 3 hours for the interview and there was never any mention of reimbursement for gas or mileage. It's the only interview I've had where I've never been reimbursed for travel. Red Flag 2. I was on my own for lunch. Not only did they not buy me lunch, they didn't even accompany me as part of a personality interview. I was just cut loose for an hour. Again, the only interview I've had where this has happened. Red Flag 3. I was never given the opportunity to ask questions. I was grilled for 4 hours and never had a chance to ask anything! Each technical interview ended when the next interviewer interrupted, or the last guy realized his time was up. It speaks volumes to how a company values prospective employees when they don't give the interviewee a chance to do some digging.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question had to do with expected range of a voltage divider given component tolerances, as well as the distribution of tolerances and resulting distribution of output voltage.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was my first job out of school and the salary offer was in my expected range. I requested moving assistance and it was provided.