AMD

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at AMD in May 2012.

Interview Details – 2 phone screens, 7 people interviewed me in person; lasted from 7:45AM to 2PM. Got offer in 1-2 weeks. It was very pleasant ; and I liked Austin, TX a lot. Team is highly technical and in general will not take BSing well. Some questions on brainteasers but mostly technical hardware and software related.

Interview Question – About trace driven vs execution driven modeling. Trace driven modeling is faster; and but is less realistic due to not exploring bad paths during branch prediction. Execution driven modeling usually requires the existence of a functional model - in addition to a timing model to do neat things like sampling etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – negotiate frills; like vacation.

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at AMD in January 2009.

Interview Details – onsite interview following phone interview

Interview Question – there were none. All questions were very reasonable   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much was negotiable

Sunnyvale, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at AMD in January 2007.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through another company employee and it caught the attention of a manager who contacted me initially through the phone. He explained to me the project that he was hiring for and wanted to gauge my interest. We talked about potential responsibilities of the role and then arranged for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview took a little more than half-a-day. I was interviewed first by a more junior engineer who described to me the company culture and asked me some basic questions concerning chip-timing. I was then interviewed by a senior engineer, who later became my manager, concerning register files since I had mentioned on my resume that I recently worked on one. He wanted to gauge whether I had a large or small part in the design and whether I understood the most important concepts.

I was then taken to lunch by another senior engineer who told me why I should consider working for the company and the large scope of the project that I would be working on. He also conceded that on a chip this size, that my opportunities for vertical engineering (being involved in every aspect of the project from RTL, design, verification) and the number of block I would own might be more limited than at a startup but that the complexity of the problem was much greater than if I would join a smaller company.

I was then interviewed by the senior manager who contacted me. He asked me about computer architecture, specifically about the ALU Bypass loop (register file, bypass mux, comparator, adder) since I was involved in that area of design at a previous job. He also asked virtual to physical address translation which was also mentioned in part on my resume. This was followed by another interview where with another senior engineer who asked me to solve a tricky problem on transistor operating modes. Last, I was interviewed by a final senior manager about driving large loads through repeaters and how there was a useful upper limit on their sizes.

I was then escorted out of the building and told that a decision would be made quickly.

Interview Question – How might all the different bit fields of the virtual address be used in the process of the CPU converting from virtual to physical addresses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to raise the amount of my base-salary by a little more than 5% after the initial offer. They seemed determined to hire me so I also insisted on about double the number of restricted stock units that were initially offered. Overall, I would recommend that people try to get multiple offers to give yourself more bargaining power but be ready to walk-away if the employer does not come close to your salary target.

Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at AMD in October 2007.

Interview Details – Hiring process not very complicated. Submitted resume to a Fellow at AMD who passed it along to the appropriate hiring manager. Background fit so I got a call and scheduled an interview.

The interview was long and VERY technical. I believe there 7 or 8 1 on 1 interviews, beginning with the hiring manager who just went over the basics and asked if I had questions. Then the fun began. One after another, 7 more people, all technical, interviewed me. The questions were basic, but you had to know your undergrad engineering quite well.

Some questions as I remember them:
1) Basics of inverter in/out curves
2) Logical reduction
3) Device stacking (pros/cons, tapering, total width)
4) device physics (nmos cross section, channel, saturation, DIBL)

Interview Question – In saturation, the channel region pinches off well before the drain. How does current get from the source to drain then? (Since the channel is pinched off, it does not touch the drain)   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – Negotiation wasn't too bad. They wanted to know current salary, which I did tell them since the initial offer was only 2k more than current salary. In all, I got less than a 10% bump up in pay. It was mostly me telling the recruiter why I should be paid more.

Senior Design Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AMD.

Interview Details – 30mins phone call followed by 45min 4 member interview

Interview Question – sorting, RTL coding, perl, C, C++   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not negotiated

Senior Design Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at AMD in April 2011.

Interview Details – They asked about my work and mainly touched upon the basics of digital circuit design, clock dividers etc.

Interview Question – 2L length transistor versus cascaded transistors. What is the tradeoff between performance and leakage.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at AMD

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMD Senior Design Engineer interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by AMD employees and interview candidates.