AMD

3.3

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD in August 2011.

Asked about the CUDA hardware, GPGPU. Scenarious where I could get a segmentation fault, with no error in the code during compilation, what could be the reason. There is enough space, and space is not the issue.

Interview Questions
    • Warps in GPGPU, role of registers in GPU hardware   View Answer
    • Analyse a situation where you get a segmentation fault and whats the reason   Answer Question

Senior Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD in June 2011.

Typical interview.. The interviewers ask only the question they know the answer to.

CAD Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at AMD in April 2011.

6 rounds of interview. I was applying for a Timing CAD position. It was just the basics of timing. I was also asked a few tricky transistor related questions. General Spice, Primetime and Nanotime questions as well.

Interview Questions
    • Transistor pseudo logic questions. I wont say it is difficult. I just wasnt used to it.   View Answer
    Ok... need to push.

Software Engineer Co Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD in March 2011.

I was interviewed for a software position for summer internship. Got three phone interviews. First one was with the manager and he gave a brief description about the position and the work and some behavioral questions. After a couple of days, I got an email from him that I passed his screening and he asked me to schedule interviews with two other team members.
    The interviews with the team members were purely technical. I was asked to code in a shared document. They tested on bitwise manipulations and assembly language. Though I didnt know exact mnemonics, but the interviewer said he will look at the logic and not the instructions.
    The interviews were not very difficult, easy enough if you know some details of C and computer architecture. I didn't have any onsite interview perhaps because it was an intern position thats why.

Interview Questions
    • There was a question about bit manipulations in C, do not remember exactly.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AMD in March 2011.

Phone and in person

Interview Questions
    • Is the applied aocv margin higher in short path compared to a very long path?   Answer Question
    Easy and straight forward

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD in August 2010.

Interviewer asked very detailed knowledge and looked for specific keyword in the answer.

Interview Questions
    • What is the mechanism that works between the driver and sequencer?   View Answer

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

interviewed at AMD in August 2010.

The resume was forwarded by an internal contact. So, the interview setup/scheduling was relatively quick over email.
    3 rounds of interview: two with the team members and one with the director.

The interview with ~7 team members was mainly technical. Question on:
    Digital design principles: setup/hold times and ways to address setup/hold time issues, state machines, finding issues with digital circuits, other logic design questions
    C: handling different endianness, embedded C code optimization issues
    System Verilog questions
    Logical puzzles

After the first two rounds the hiring manager indicated that the feedback was good and he would like me to come in to meet the director.

It took about 2 weeks from that point to receive an offer

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult but some of the questions on System Verilog were very specialized /infrequntly used cases.   Answer Question

Release and Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AMD in April 2010.

One phone followed by a on-site interview. Required to write Perl code on the board.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD in March 2009.

Described working experiences, technical capabilities and project management techniques. Former projects were also discussed and asked by the panel during the personal up front interview. Went to the drawing board to describe the processes, quality control practices that were done by the previous experiences. Asked personal questions regarding plans, rooms to growth and etc.

Interview Questions
    • Can you handle such responsibilities even sacrificing time for the sake of work?   Answer Question

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD in January 2007.

I submitted my resume through another company employee and it caught the attention of a manager who contacted me initially through the phone. He explained to me the project that he was hiring for and wanted to gauge my interest. We talked about potential responsibilities of the role and then arranged for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview took a little more than half-a-day. I was interviewed first by a more junior engineer who described to me the company culture and asked me some basic questions concerning chip-timing. I was then interviewed by a senior engineer, who later became my manager, concerning register files since I had mentioned on my resume that I recently worked on one. He wanted to gauge whether I had a large or small part in the design and whether I understood the most important concepts.

I was then taken to lunch by another senior engineer who told me why I should consider working for the company and the large scope of the project that I would be working on. He also conceded that on a chip this size, that my opportunities for vertical engineering (being involved in every aspect of the project from RTL, design, verification) and the number of block I would own might be more limited than at a startup but that the complexity of the problem was much greater than if I would join a smaller company.

I was then interviewed by the senior manager who contacted me. He asked me about computer architecture, specifically about the ALU Bypass loop (register file, bypass mux, comparator, adder) since I was involved in that area of design at a previous job. He also asked virtual to physical address translation which was also mentioned in part on my resume. This was followed by another interview where with another senior engineer who asked me to solve a tricky problem on transistor operating modes. Last, I was interviewed by a final senior manager about driving large loads through repeaters and how there was a useful upper limit on their sizes.

I was then escorted out of the building and told that a decision would be made quickly.

Interview Questions
    • How might all the different bit fields of the virtual address be used in the process of the CPU converting from virtual to physical addresses?   View Answer
    I was able to raise the amount of my base-salary by a little more than 5% after the initial offer. They seemed determined to hire me so I also insisted on about double the number of restricted stock units that were initially offered. Overall, I would recommend that people try to get multiple offers to give yourself more bargaining power but be ready to walk-away if the employer does not come close to your salary target.