AMD Interview Questions in Texas

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online for Physical Design position in Austin. Phone screening was pretty easy. Couple of questions on all the basic steps in the RTL-GDS flow: synthesis, timing, PnR etc. Got onsite call in 3-4 days. Had 6 tech interviews and 1 casual interview on-site. Each one focused on different aspects: PnR and Floor-planning, architecture, timing, digital circuits, SRAM and Power. Some of them were pretty rigorous, others could be cracked if you had done your homework.

Interview Questions

• How do you do power distribution on a chip?   Answer Question
    • How does setup and hold timing look like for a dual-phase clocking?   Answer Question
    • What are the pipeline stages in a state-of-art microprocessor?   Answer Question
    • How many gates in the critical path of a Carry-look-ahead adder?   Answer Question

Engineering Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

4 interviews with 3 team leads and the hiring manager. Multiple hardware failures and symptoms given for triage with real world failing components. Sub-systems were differentiated by team lead interviewing. System debug is expected to be performed during interview process. Talking through each step as triage is applied.

Interview Questions

• The system (P.C.) under test configuration was laid out powered up upon a lab bench with Memtest 86+ running actively, the question asked " This system has a failure, you must find the failure you have 15 minutes". Note:the memory failure that is happening each time in different bank and /rank when the failures happen. Memtest 86+ is running with faults actively on test 1, faulting.   1 Answer

SMTS Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

I worked there previously. I was referred by a manager. People checked with their peers who'd worked with me before and then interviewed me over the phone. I was re-hired without an onsite interview.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

After a brief phone screen, you move on to the on-site interview. These interviews are intense - generally 5 or 6 one hour interviews with engineers and managers of all levels. Very technical. Make sure to study up. If you get stuck, the interviewer will help spur you on - they want to know how you reason through a problem if you don't already know the answer.

Interview Questions

• "Have you ever looked at how a real processor is designed?" (in response to a description of my graduate design project. Out of the 5 or 6 interviews, at most one will try to push your buttons, and maybe none. But be ready to handle yourself in case it happens.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

Submitted resume through university contact. They got back to me immediately and a phone interview was scheduled in one week. All communication was through e-mail. The interview was strictly a skill test focused on just the basic questions on posted requirements.

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter went great - or so I thought. We spoke for 45 minutes and he said I would hear something in 24-48 hours about next steps. The recruiter asked me questions that were indicative of being interested in moving forward. After a week of not hearing anything, I contacted him. He said he'd follow up and again, never heard back. I would've appreciated a "thanks but no thanks" instead of letting me wonder what happened!

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, just caught off guard that I was asked the following questions in a phone screen: How many square feet is your house? How many bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. What's your current salary? What salary are you expecting? How much is your bonus? How many people would be moving with you? How many other companies are you currently interviewing with?   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

The recruiter was an outside contractor. All my interactions were professional and friendly. I was brought in for a second round of interviews to meet the Sr. Director and Director, which helped to increase my interest in the company overall. At the time, AMD was benefitting from a new product that was competitive to (exceeded in many ways) Intel's offering. AMD had also just landed a big customer that I worked for. Although, I found and applied for the position on my own online, AMD was very careful to ensure they were not poaching. Given this, my process took a bit longer. It was difficult to get an offer because AMD needed me to write a letter that showed my interest in them and my managers acknowledge (which I was not comfortable with) before they'd make me an offer. We eventually worked out the details and I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember. The interview process was very standard and not tricky or difficult. Possibly due to my level and the uniqueness of the role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was an aggressive offer - 30% pay increase from where I was. However, the base was intended to compensate me for my salary and bonus at my current position.

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Got a call through employee referral.

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Four phone interviews, with basic engineering questions about software development/electrical engineering.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate just accepted.

Processor Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I got email for phone interview. In the interview they told me about the project and then there were some technical questions. Questions were basic and were expected. 1. Difference between cache consistency and cache coherency 2. What is setup and hold time 3. What is Virtual functions 4. What is generic programming 5. What is difference between virtual functions and generic programming 6. Questions about how simulators work 7. A question which was on calculating FIFO buffer length

I got better offer from other company