AMRI Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Updated Jul 30, 2014

Research Scientist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AMRI.

I was contacted after a few weeks once I submitted my application online. HR got a hold of me first and the phone interview went smoothly (basic questions). Then I was interviewed via phone again with a scientist and was asked basic questions about the laboratory setting. Within a few weeks I was brought on site for a 4 hour long interview process with 7 different scientists.

Research Scientist II Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AMRI.

Initial HR screen, then phone interview with chemist who had researched my papers and asked a series of questions about my work a long with various chemistry questions, safety questions, which reagent would you use, what type of product would be formed from various reactions… After the phone screen I completed an onsite interview that consisted of a 45 min presentation and then several one on one interviews with both chemists and HR.

Interview Questions
    • The phone screen took about 1.5 hours and was much more in depth that most companies.   Answer Question
    Very small negotiation was possible.

Research Scientist Interview

I had an HR interview and a technical interview both over the phone. The HR interview was mostly about questions about my resume and the technical one was a bit harder.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interviewer asked a bunch of "quickfire" organic chemistry reactions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMRI in September 2013.

- Got a call from HR about phone interview. Communicated via mail to set up an interview date.
    - Phone interview from a scientist there. Asked some basic chemistry questions like what is a TLC, how would an HNMR look of ethyl acetate, how to columns work, etc.
    - Got invited to have an on-site interview the following week. Asked to do an optional presentation. (Do it)
    - Did the presentation, interview with 4 chemists. It was very informal. They pretty much opened the floor to me to ask any questions.
    - Final interview is with HR where you discuss salary and any last minute questions. Salary is pretty much non-negotiable because they don't really care about what you think. Overall, the interview with the chemists went better than great. However, the HR interview was awkward.
    - It really doesn't matter how hard you try. Don't stress on it. After I got into the company, I realized that they hire anyone that moves. Is that a bad thing?.. hmm..

Interview Questions
    • - I can't recall, but an unexpected question was to name a sugar.   View Answer
    No negotiations. Filomena (HR managaer at the time) flat out said we are paying you this much because we said on the phone that we would. So if you could negotiate on your initial phone interview (somehow without being disregarded right there) then go ahead.

Research Scientist I Interview

multiple interviewees, lasted about all day, included a tour of the facilities.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find any of the questions particularly difficult. No format to the interviews.   Answer Question

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at AMRI in June 2013.

The first phone interview was with HR and asked many focused on my experiences with collaboration and my managers' (advisors') style and level of interaction. The second phone interview was with a chemist and he described the pace and scope of the job much more thoroughly. The onsite interview was a day of one-on-one interviews and a 30 minute presentation by myself to about 25 chemists. There was a long delay before a decision was made, and HR kept me reasonably informed with weekly contact.

Interview Questions
    • Several interviewers on the onsite visit asked technical questions based on their own research, essentially probing basic knowledge and problem-predicting ability.   View Answer
    The HR rep suggested two start dates and I chose the later, which necessitated her resending me the offer letter to sign. It didn't seem like it was a problem for HR.

Manufacturing Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMRI.

It was disorganized. One time the manager that was to interview me was in a meeting, the next time, he was out sick. No call to say don't come. Unprofessional for a 1.5 hour ride one way for an interview.

Overall the process went smoothly after the snafu's in the beginning

Interview Questions
    • Were you ever expected to do something without being properly trained on it, and if so, how did you handle the situation, did you perform the task or become vocal about your abilities?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMRI.

Be professional as usual and be specific about why you want the job.

Interview Questions
    There was no such thing. You get what you get, or you refuse the offer.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AMRI in February 2013.

Applied directly through AMRI's website. After about a week, was contacted for an initial interview with HR to go over basics and gather background information. This resulted in a second phone interview with the departmental manager, which was based on technical knowledge of equipment and instrumentation. On-site interview about 2 weeks later which involved a research presentation, followed by a tour and additional interviews with members of the research group and V.P. of Analytical Services.

Interview Questions
    • There was not a most difficult or unexpected question. Since they are partially supported by contract for higher business, it is important to understand that there are many interactions outside the company and being able to relate how you can benefit AMRI in this roll, in my opinion.   Answer Question

Research Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rensselaer, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rensselaer, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AMRI in November 2012.

There was a 30 min telephonic interview , all technical questions. After 2 weeks I got a call from HR for on site interview, they asked me to prepare 45 min presentation. They have called all labs for presentation(30) chemist and manager. Then there was individual interview including HR, hiring manager and future colleagues for 30 min each. It was schedule for 8 AM to 3PM including lunch with colleague. After last interview HR suppose to meet me and call taxi to air port, she was busy and she passed message to me taxi is called please go to main gate. I went to gate and waited 1 hour for taxi, security gourd call two time to HR to make sure taxi is called and she says yes. At last I asked for taxi phone number she gave me and I called taxi and within 5 min taxi came, I asked taxi why you did not came before and he says no one called me I was free from last two hours, that was really disappointed why they lied to me, I would of miss my flight. HR is lier. After 3 weeks I wrote followup email and they replied me we are still considering you but your expectation is too high, I wrote them I did not gave any figure how do you know my expectation? Send me your salary range I will think if its suitable for me. They sent me regret letter.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing special all was basic questions related to job what you are doing now.   Answer Question