AMRI Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMRI (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

HR person contacted me first by phone. That was pretty straight forward HR related questions. Second interview was on phone with a Senior Scientist. That lasted for over an hour and it was mostly about previous research and a bit of technical know how. The last step was an onsite interview where i met a senior scientist followed by the guy in charge of that facility and the HR contact was also listening in through the conference call. The on site only lasted ~2 hours.

Interview Questions

• It was a problem sheet, mostly one to two step transformations.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMRI.

Interview

Went to an open house for AMRI, had short interviews with several different employees. After 3 weeks, I received a letter in the mail saying that my skills could not be utilized.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AMRI (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2015.

Interview

45 min phone screen with the senior scientist. Mostly discussion about organic chemistry and some technical questions. Then they flew me out to their on site location in which the section chief interviewed me in a conference call with HR from the Albany site. I got an offer the day later but turned it down as there was no relocation or room for negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Problem sheet with 1-2 step transformations. NMR problems. Anyone who had an A in sophomore Organic Chemistry would nail it.   Answer Question

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AMRI.

Interview

Phone interview with scientist going over technical details. Invited to on-site interview at two research sites, medicinal and process development jobs. Usual seminar and one-on-ones, lunch and dinner. Everyone was very pleasant. Could not get much information on the research because most of it is confidential, and contract-based.

QC Chemist III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AMRI (Burlington, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

About a week after submitting my application, I had a 30 minute phone interview with the QC Manager during which I was asked to describe in detail all the methods I had developed and validated, the kind of analytes I have worked with, all the analytical techniques I had applied, the instrumentation I had used, the problems I had encountered, the documentation I had prepared etc., etc. Two weeks later I was invited to an in-house interview, in which I first met with the QC manager, who seemed very friendly, knowledgeable and professional. That was followed by a group interview with the whole QC team [it seemed like a nice group] and a brief chat with the HR manager who explained the benefits and some logistic matters. It is worth mentioning that the topic of compensation was never brought up during the whole interview process. Finally, I met with the Director of Quality who after a brief chat told me in no uncertain terms that I was an excellent candidate and they would love to hire me but he didn't think he would be able to get approval due to budgetary constraints and to a more immediate need for a QA supervisor!!! It begs the question: What kind of company would waste time posting "teaser" openings they do not intend to fill and interviewing candidates that they cannot hire????

Interview Questions

• How do you know if an analytical method is stability-indicating?   Answer Question
    • What kind of tests do you perform to assess the precision of a chromatographic method?   Answer Question
    • Q: What is your experience with injectable formulations?   Answer Question

Research Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AMRI.

Interview

I was contacted after a few weeks once I submitted my application online. HR got a hold of me first and the phone interview went smoothly (basic questions). Then I was interviewed via phone again with a scientist and was asked basic questions about the laboratory setting. Within a few weeks I was brought on site for a 4 hour long interview process with 7 different scientists.

Research Scientist II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AMRI.

Interview

Initial HR screen, then phone interview with chemist who had researched my papers and asked a series of questions about my work a long with various chemistry questions, safety questions, which reagent would you use, what type of product would be formed from various reactions… After the phone screen I completed an onsite interview that consisted of a 45 min presentation and then several one on one interviews with both chemists and HR.

Interview Questions

• The phone screen took about 1.5 hours and was much more in depth that most companies.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very small negotiation was possible.

Research Scientist Interview

Interview

I had an HR interview and a technical interview both over the phone. The HR interview was mostly about questions about my resume and the technical one was a bit harder.

Interview Questions

• The technical interviewer asked a bunch of "quickfire" organic chemistry reactions.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AMRI (Albany, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

- Got a call from HR about phone interview. Communicated via mail to set up an interview date. - Phone interview from a scientist there. Asked some basic chemistry questions like what is a TLC, how would an HNMR look of ethyl acetate, how to columns work, etc. - Got invited to have an on-site interview the following week. Asked to do an optional presentation. (Do it) - Did the presentation, interview with 4 chemists. It was very informal. They pretty much opened the floor to me to ask any questions. - Final interview is with HR where you discuss salary and any last minute questions. Salary is pretty much non-negotiable because they don't really care about what you think. Overall, the interview with the chemists went better than great. However, the HR interview was awkward. - It really doesn't matter how hard you try. Don't stress on it. After I got into the company, I realized that they hire anyone that moves. Is that a bad thing?.. hmm..

Interview Questions

• - I can't recall, but an unexpected question was to name a sugar.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. Filomena (HR managaer at the time) flat out said we are paying you this much because we said on the phone that we would. So if you could negotiate on your initial phone interview (somehow without being disregarded right there) then go ahead.

Research Scientist I Interview

Interview

multiple interviewees, lasted about all day, included a tour of the facilities.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find any of the questions particularly difficult. No format to the interviews.   Answer Question