AOL

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – Tech exam
Phone interview
Onsite: culture, tech and team interviews
Great office
Good vibe

Interview Question – Some tech questions more suitable to graduate as they would be something that you may cover when learning coding but haven't used since then.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was with a third party as I'm there a long time and my first 6 months was as a contractor.
Things have changed significantly since I started here. Interview process is much more detailed now and is OTT IMO.

Software Engineer, Intern Interview

Software Engineer, Intern
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – Applied through college for Software Engineering Internship very early in the college year. They like to wrap up their internship quest before the end of November to get the best candidates before other companies. (Very good idea)

Got called for a 20 min phone interview which contained questions such as:
- General Object Oriented Questions
- Behavioural Questions e.g. Describe a time you had a conflict with a teammate.
- Questions about HTML. How do you insert an image using html.
- Object oriented questions.
- Then it's your turn to ask questions.

A few days later I was notified about progressing to the next stage. An interview at their office in Dublin.

I get to the office a week later. And there are 3 interviews lined up.
One written examination.
One interview with two developers.
One interview with a cultural ambassador.

Written Exam: 45mins
Handled by the lovely HR staff, they give you an evaluation form to fill out.
-Questions on HTML
-Questions on CSS
-Questions on Javascript
-Questions on java:
-- Reverse a string
-- Reverse a string using an array

Interview with 2 developers: 45mins
- Very friendly, nice guys who put me at ease straight away and were able to have the odd laugh throughout the interview.
- Object oriented questions... polymorphism, class hierarchy, etc.
- Talking about your previous projects
- Possibly sketch out architecture of your project on whiteboard
- Couple of data structure questions.
- What technologies have you read about recently that you find interesting.
- Basically making sure you are competent.

Cultural Ambassador: 20mins
- Very nice, friendly and chatty woman.
- This interview is laid back, but still very important. If you fail this, then you have no hope of being hired.
- More behavioural questions here about previous team experiences and how you dealt with them.
- They want to make sure you'll fit in with everyone on your team.

At the end, the HR girl showed me around the beautiful building that they have.

Good experience, amazing building, amazing people.

Interview Question – What technologies have you read about recently that you find interesting..... I stumbled through this answer, as I was not prepared for it.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Associate Software Engineer
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in April 2013.

Interview Details – 1 coding challenge, 1 Telephone interview, followed by 5 hour on site session.Followed by hiring manger 1 week later. On site session involved interview with 2 senior developers, 1 cultural embassador interview, 2 managers interview. Returned to the office the following week for hiring manager interview and an offer was made the following week. Very challenging process but I learned a lot about the company and also about myself.

Interview Question – Draw your previous companies architecture   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AOL in September 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiting team. A practical Java test followed by a 30 min tech screening. Then I was invited to a 4 hour Skype call, which includes another round of online Java/SQL/Web test, 1:2 tech interview, cultural ambassador from HR and manager interview. Technically not challenging, I think I hit most of the answers. Only after 2 days I was told all tech tests/interviews are good but I fail to provide specific example in some of the behavioural questions, thus not good enough for this role. The HR team is actually very good. Very nice and efficient in coordinating the interviews/tests, even gave me a call back explaining everything in the end. The interviewers of technical round are very friendly, good communication, nice to talk to, detailed answer to my questions. But cultural ambassador and manager interview is tougher, 2 solid hours of behavioural questions, duplicated questions, no project experience asked, no response or feedback, no smile on their face. All leads me to believe that managers are not particularly looking for someone with good technical skills and project experience.

Interview Question – Just be prepared and careful with your answer for all the behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Mobile Developer Interview

Mobile Developer
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – Did two over the phone interviews followed by a day on site

Interview Question – Some C and infrastructure questions.   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AOL in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had a chance to be interviewed by AOL Dublin. The entire interview process took around 2 weeks. After submitting application, hiring coordinator contacted me for the purpose of establishing contact and getting clue if I am still considering the job application.

The interview started with on-line coding test consisted of two easy tasks. That is followed by phone interview lasted around 1 hour. Interviewers were quite polite, supportive and friendly asking good questions on Java syntax, collections, threads, and web services. They made me feeling very comfortable answering each question, so I had no issues related.

In a day after that, hiring manager contacted me again to schedule 1:1 interview through Skype since I have not been in Ireland that time. The 1:1 interview consisted of Java, JavaScript, JSP, SQL and Web-related question sections summing up to overall 30-35 questions. It is a very good way of assessing candidates on technical ability to deliver the working code without using IDE or syntax assistants. So, the questions were practical requiring writing real code and knowing specifics on method signatures and return types. It covered collections and threading in Java as well as SQL and Entity Relationships in databases. The 1:1 interview is the most important since it takes on-line through Skype if you are not present in Ireland.

After that, I should have been participated in Cultural Assessment interview, but, since I made some mistakes and did not solve any problems in JSP section I did not pass 1:1 interview. So, I have not been proposed an offer. Hiring manager contacted me 2 days after 1:1 interview and politely explained me the intentions and assessment measurements taken by engineering team to make decision on my profile. That was really good sign for the international company having hundreds of applicants on a monthly basis and spending their time for each new applicant. So, AOL got really good internal corporate culture.

Interview Question – The questions were more or less reasonable and logically sequential. There were no surprises or out of topic discussions, so if you are applying for Java software engineer position, prepare for Java related questions.   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AOL in July 2011.

Interview Details – C++ technical interview over the phone 30 min. They asked basic questions regarding memory (dynamic and static, heap and stack), OO (polymorphism, inheritance, copy constructors, etc) . 1:1 HR interview the normal stuff

Interview Question – They weren't difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation

Development Manager Interview

Development Manager
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at AOL in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter whom I knew, he plugged me into the process so I didn't apply or anything. I went through a phone interview, then a series of interviews with different people - all of them happening one after another on one afternoon/evening, which was quite convenient. In the end I wasn't offered the position and was never given any reason why. It was frustrating - the recruiter who got me included in the process also tried to get this answer from AOL but didn't hear back from them.

Interview Question – Questions were not challenging.   View Answer

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!