AOL Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
126 interviews

Production Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AOL.

I applied online for an internship position and was contacted by one of their recruiters about a full time entry-level position via email. First there was a phone interview with the recruiter, then there was coding skills test followed by another phone interview with one of the senior members of the team where they asked basic questions about school, projects I worked on, and work experience. I did good on both of those interviews and was asked to come in for an in person interview that lasted about three hours. The first part consisted of another coding skills test (very basic things on HTML, CSS, and some jQuery), which lasted about 20 mins. The test was then followed by four different one-on-one interviews with the members of team, some of which asked more coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • You have two water buckets: the first can hold 3 gallons of water and the second can hold 5 gallons of water, how do you fill the 5 gallon bucket with exactly 4 gallons of water using these two buckets (the 3 gallon and 5 gallon bucket)?   View Answer

Publisher Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at AOL in August 2014.

Started with phone screen a week after applying for the position. Did an in person interview about a week after with four people in 2 hours. Then came back a week later to meet with one last person. Good communication throughout the process. Cared a lot about analytics and attention to detail.

Interview Questions
    • Specific examples of analytical experience   View Answer

Homepage Assistant Editor Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at AOL in July 2013.

The interview process started by speaking with an HR recruiter who asked the typical questions. Then I had an in person interview with 2 editors. Then I completed a very extensive edit test where I had to write articles for the web, write headlines, pitch stories and edit articles

Interview Questions
    • If you were programming the homepage today which 3 stories would you put in the best spots?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at AOL in June 2014.

Technical phone interview - Took around 45 mins and was asked few object oriented questions and a program to know the largest set of contiguous numbers in a given set of numbers

Face to face - 6 persons interviewed and a additional cultural ambassador interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AOL in April 2014.

Had 1 technical interview session in codility consisting of 4 questions.
    Then I was assigned a 24 hr timeline project to complete (developing a web application)
    Then onsite interview consisting of 5 30-minute sessions followed by a discussion with a cultural ambassador who focuses on your overall fit into the company's culture
    Finally a Skype session with the hiring manager since he couldn't meet me on the day of the onsite interview

Interview Questions
    • The technical questions were pretty much standard. Nothing out of the ordinary.
      The cultural discussion session had a lot of questions for which there is just no right answer. Most of them are questions that look for your opinion on things like team building, building trust with your teammates, etc etc.
        Answer Question

Ad Ops Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in January 2014.

Had my resume forwarded to recruiter through a former employee. Spoke to recruiter about various internship positions available and placed a preference on multiple ones. After that, I interviewed with hiring managers for the positions, starting with my top choice, moving on to the next one until I was placed.

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in February 2013.

The person that I would be replacing appeared to be extremely busy, making hundreds of phone calls per day. The job appeared to be very exciting, but very busy. The other workers were all interesting people, with strong resumes and Internet backgrounds. They told me that I had the job, subject to approval by corporate. The only problem was that because the company was part of a major corporation, the hiring decision needed to be approved by the corporation, and the approval took months and months and never came.

Interview Questions
    • Can you wait and not accept your other job offers until corporate approval is received for the AOL job offer?   View Answer

Data Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sterling, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at AOL in February 2014.

I got an email saying AOL want to chat with me about the Data Analyst Internship position in more depth. So I schedule a phone interview with HR. The interviewer just asked me regular behavior questions and some details about your former experiences written on your resume. But I was told that the company only accept current student who working for a degree.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked some details about your former experiences.   Answer Question

Curator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at AOL in March 2014.

Three to four weeks after my application, I was contacted by HR via email to arrange a phone interview. I was then asked to complete an editorial test. As someone with several years of experience at a major news organization I can honestly say that I found the direction of the test to be very unclear (and I have passed editorial tests at Bloomberg and similar places). I spent a good portion of my weekend on this test, I was called in for an interview with a senior exec (Balthazar) who acted friendly. The whole process (from the online application, HR interview and in-person interview ) took a significant amount of time, but I never even received a thanks, but no thanks email from HR. I have landed a great job since, but I feel companies should realize that their recruiting processes leave a lasting impression....

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult (or behavioral) questions. And nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Reston, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at AOL in February 2014.

The recruiter was very communicative and supportive and acted as a champion. Several phone interviews with hiring manager followed by an in person interview with the hiring manager and a team member. it appeared they were in a state of flux and overwhelmed, resulting in a lack of clarity as to the role focus and responsibilities expect that there were "lots of contracts". Very little talk of business relationships, value of partners, deals, goals, etc. No response for weeks after the interview, then was informed AOL ended up putting the job on hold and not hiring.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult, but lacked creativity. It was difficult to know if they knew what they were looking for in a candidate but if I had to guess, it was someone to sit behind a computer and just do contracts.   Answer Question

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!