AOL

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AOL in June 2014.

Interview Details – Technical phone interview - Took around 45 mins and was asked few object oriented questions and a program to know the largest set of contiguous numbers in a given set of numbers

Face to face - 6 persons interviewed and a additional cultural ambassador interview.

Interview Question – More behavioral questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AOL in April 2014.

Interview Details – Had 1 technical interview session in codility consisting of 4 questions.
Then I was assigned a 24 hr timeline project to complete (developing a web application)
Then onsite interview consisting of 5 30-minute sessions followed by a discussion with a cultural ambassador who focuses on your overall fit into the company's culture
Finally a Skype session with the hiring manager since he couldn't meet me on the day of the onsite interview

Interview Question – The technical questions were pretty much standard. Nothing out of the ordinary.
The cultural discussion session had a lot of questions for which there is just no right answer. Most of them are questions that look for your opinion on things like team building, building trust with your teammates, etc etc.
  Answer Question

Ad Ops Manager Intern Interview

Ad Ops Manager Intern
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in January 2014.

Interview Details – Had my resume forwarded to recruiter through a former employee. Spoke to recruiter about various internship positions available and placed a preference on multiple ones. After that, I interviewed with hiring managers for the positions, starting with my top choice, moving on to the next one until I was placed.

Interview Question – What do you see as the future of digital media?   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Office Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in February 2013.

Interview Details – The person that I would be replacing appeared to be extremely busy, making hundreds of phone calls per day. The job appeared to be very exciting, but very busy. The other workers were all interesting people, with strong resumes and Internet backgrounds. They told me that I had the job, subject to approval by corporate. The only problem was that because the company was part of a major corporation, the hiring decision needed to be approved by the corporation, and the approval took months and months and never came.

Interview Question – Can you wait and not accept your other job offers until corporate approval is received for the AOL job offer?   View Answer

Data Analyst Intern Interview

Data Analyst Intern
Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AOL in February 2014.

Interview Details – I got an email saying AOL want to chat with me about the Data Analyst Internship position in more depth. So I schedule a phone interview with HR. The interviewer just asked me regular behavior questions and some details about your former experiences written on your resume. But I was told that the company only accept current student who working for a degree.

Interview Question – Interviewer asked some details about your former experiences.   Answer Question

Curator Interview

Curator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at AOL in March 2014.

Interview Details – Three to four weeks after my application, I was contacted by HR via email to arrange a phone interview. I was then asked to complete an editorial test. As someone with several years of experience at a major news organization I can honestly say that I found the direction of the test to be very unclear (and I have passed editorial tests at Bloomberg and similar places). I spent a good portion of my weekend on this test, I was called in for an interview with a senior exec (Balthazar) who acted friendly. The whole process (from the online application, HR interview and in-person interview ) took a significant amount of time, but I never even received a thanks, but no thanks email from HR. I have landed a great job since, but I feel companies should realize that their recruiting processes leave a lasting impression....

Interview Question – There were no difficult (or behavioral) questions. And nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Senior Business Development Manager
Reston, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at AOL in February 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter was very communicative and supportive and acted as a champion. Several phone interviews with hiring manager followed by an in person interview with the hiring manager and a team member. it appeared they were in a state of flux and overwhelmed, resulting in a lack of clarity as to the role focus and responsibilities expect that there were "lots of contracts". Very little talk of business relationships, value of partners, deals, goals, etc. No response for weeks after the interview, then was informed AOL ended up putting the job on hold and not hiring.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult, but lacked creativity. It was difficult to know if they knew what they were looking for in a candidate but if I had to guess, it was someone to sit behind a computer and just do contracts.   Answer Question

NOC Analyst Interview

NOC Analyst
Dulles, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – I was interviewed over the phone initially with no real "IT" experience.. a month later was called again to continue the face-to-face interview process.. Overall took a month to complete all interviews.

Interview Question – Programming experience was difficult as I had minimal experience during college.. and was advised even the best colleges out there, most students do not pass AOL's programming tests.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated at a higher rate and it was accepted. I knew what my experience and background would be worth along with my Master's Degree. I wouldn't take anything less than what I asked for.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – The college recruitment team was fantastic. They were very personable and kept me up to date on everything that was going on. I was originally bought in to interview for one position which I didn't get. However, after a couple of months, I was called up and asked to if I wanted to come back in for a different position involving software analysis and user-end communication. I obliged. Was bought in for one interview, where I interviewed with a few team members and a few days later was told that I had the job. They were very fast in all communications and helpful to me.

Interview Question – There were no really technical questions, mostly personable questions, and experience questions.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Dulles, VA

I interviewed at AOL in December 2013.

Interview Details – I had my first phone interview on December 12, 2013. The process took 2.5 months. After the phone interview they called me for the 2nd round which included two interviews with the Manager and the head of the team. They were both general and involved mostly behaviourial questions. After clearing this round, I was asked to come for the last round in January, 2014. It involved an interview with the Head of Finance Department and the Cultural Ambassador. I was told that I would be informed regarding their decision in 2 weeks time. However they informed me after 1.5 months that they lost the headcount for the position and had decided not to hire anyone. Overall experience was okay. The interviews were very general. But the follow up process was extremely slow.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions as such.   Answer Question

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!