AOL

AOL Interview Questions

Updated Feb 2, 2015
Updated Feb 2, 2015

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL.

Non-typical interview process, spoke directly to one of the team members, then interviewed with the other team members, director and manager, got on board rather quick. Interview process was good, the questions weren't too hard and basically experience based.

Interview Questions
    Standard intern pay, didn't bother to negotiate

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at AOL.

Initial HR phone screening. - Simple technical questions.

Second face to face Interview on site. With 3 rounds. First with the team in which project was suppose to be. With few technical questions but basics. Then with Project manager with some question on interest and normal talk. Third with HR head with most of the HR behavioral questions.

took 1 week to say yes or no.

After we both agreed took 1 week to finalized the salary.

Then started the worst nightmare. After finalizing everything and giving verbal confirmation of every thing they ask for 1 week to issue offer letter.

That offer letter never come. The worst part is HR was keep on hiding the real thing behind and keep me hanging for 1 month in wait.

On top of that HR was aware the problem that there is a budget issue with the position and keep on giving me wrong information that there is no budget issue and just asked for few more days.

At the end they said we have budget cut we can't offer and worst part is HR never told me that directly. I only come to know from staffing company in-between.

Very Very unprofessional behavior and played with other carriers.

Interview Questions
    • HR behavioral question are most difficult. Like How to handle a team member who is not performing etc.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AOL.

Had an initial phone interview followed by another phone then in person then phone again. Everything up to the third round were casual, but the fourth one was mostly behavorial, which can be difficult.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AOL.

The hiring process was fine. Telephone interview > face to face interview > job offer. people were hired on skills, attitude, and apptitude. They were not hired on appearance. The dress code was very lenient.

Interview Questions
    • Why are the outsourcing all of our jobs if we are one of the highest performing callcenters in the US?   View Answer

I felt betrayed. I had great teams, with great people. They didn't derserve to loose their jobs.

Analyst Interview

One-on-one phone interview with a recruiter. She asked questions regarding why I am interested in the company, why I am interested in this particular position, and why I am looking to leave my current position. There were also specific questions on the current status of the company as opposed to the company 10 years ago. Additionally, there were some basic technical questions on databases and programming.

Principal Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at AOL.

Submitted online and through a contact there.
    Fit Interview with HR rep
    Fit Interviews with several members of the team.
    Cultural fit / behavioral interview with culture ambassador.

Pretty straightforward questions. Everyone was very friendly and accessible.

Took two weeks for an informal offer. Another week for formal offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your background.   Answer Question
    • How did you improve marketing campaigns at your last job?   View Answer
    • Tell me how you handled a disagreement in the past with a coworker.   Answer Question

Better opportunity elsewhere.

Business Analyst Interview

Applied online. Someone from HR contacts you to trim down the candidates. Next, a manager contacts you and you have a pretty standard conversation. The third interview is in person and they give you 4-5 case studies. These are logic questions and they want to see how you react under pressure.

Production Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AOL.

I applied online for an internship position and was contacted by one of their recruiters about a full time entry-level position via email. First there was a phone interview with the recruiter, then there was coding skills test followed by another phone interview with one of the senior members of the team where they asked basic questions about school, projects I worked on, and work experience. I did good on both of those interviews and was asked to come in for an in person interview that lasted about three hours. The first part consisted of another coding skills test (very basic things on HTML, CSS, and some jQuery), which lasted about 20 mins. The test was then followed by four different one-on-one interviews with the members of team, some of which asked more coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • You have two water buckets: the first can hold 3 gallons of water and the second can hold 5 gallons of water, how do you fill the 5 gallon bucket with exactly 4 gallons of water using these two buckets (the 3 gallon and 5 gallon bucket)?   View Answers (2)

Publisher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AOL in August 2014.

Started with phone screen a week after applying for the position. Did an in person interview about a week after with four people in 2 hours. Then came back a week later to meet with one last person. Good communication throughout the process. Cared a lot about analytics and attention to detail.

Interview Questions
    • Specific examples of analytical experience   View Answer

Community Curator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at AOL in August 2014.

AOL Interview Review

Received a rather unprofessional email stating that they would like me to speak to a recruiter -- I nearly deleted the email without reading because the subject read like spam. But I went ahead and read it, and it said a recruiter wanted to call me, so I set up a phone interview. Talked to the recruiter for roughly 30 minutes and she felt I was a good fit and wanted me to move forward. Then came the massive mess that is AOL's interview process.

The recruiter had me do five, yes five, 30-minute interviews with various people in the company. All of the interviewers were kind and like-minded, so it went well, but the timing was very unorganized and ate a total of three to four hours of my day. Then after speaking to all of the folks, except the hiring manager oddly enough, I heard back that everyone loved me. Then I was contacted about a day or two later to speak to the recruiter, who confirmed my interest and stated the company's interest in hiring me. The final interview was to be with a Brand Ambassador, who made sure I wasn't a scumbag or anything, and that went beautifully. I got an email a few days later saying that they were moving forward with hiring me, they just needed to pass my salary requirements and a letter explaining why they felt I was a good match to a "Hiring Committee." I was assured that I would hear something back within a few days.... They also had me do some basic writing and editing tests, which are the norm for this type of position.

Two weeks went by without a peep. So I sent an email to the recruiter, which was met by a reply stating that they are awaiting information from a manager before proceeding with submitting my info to the Hiring Committee. Another week goes by and the recruiter emails me to let me know "nothing yet." Another week goes by and I get an email from a manager saying that everything is on hold, but not due to anything with me or my potential position within the company. Then another week, or so, goes by, so I email the recruiter, and she doesn't even bother replying.

Finally, after a few more days I email the manager who said that there are "big meetings" regarding headcount, etc. and they cannot do any hiring during those meetings, and she hoped to get back to me early the next week... Well, that was about two months ago today and still nothing at all. Mind you, I put every other potential offer on hold because this job seemed like the best fit for me, and they all but assured me the position was mine. I may have the exact weeklong delays incorrect, but the initial email communication took place exactly five months ago. Five months and no offer, but a whole lot of "please keep hanging on." And here I am today, still hanging on without even the courtesy of an email or phone call to update me after the last word was that I should have heard something at the beginning of the year, and here we are almost into February.

Needless to say, my job search has restarted and has been successful, but all of the ones I had on hold for AOL have since been filled. I will make it my goal to never apply to any position with AOL.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a stressful situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question