AOL

Relevance Date Difficulty

Android Developer Interview

Android Developer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – First round a call from the recruiter to know more about candidate.
Second round skype interview with a team lead, was asked to build a simple calculator android app.

Interview Question – No difficult question asked   Answer Question

Patch Local Editor Interview

Patch Local Editor

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AOL in July 2013.

Interview Details – I sent in a resume and clips through the usual channels but then I emailed two of their local editors whom I'd met at an industry function and asked them to put in a good word. This led to a 25-minute phone interview.
The recruiter who called from New York got a feel for my local knowledge but she seemed more interested in my work methodology than in how much I knew. It seemed like the job of local Patch editor involved more content management, and blogger outreach, than it did real journalism.
To the recruiter's credit, she did volunteer salary info before I got a chance to ask about it. When I found out how lot it was, I respectfully expressed that I didn't think I'd be a good fit for the position.

Interview Question – Are you prepared to work out of your car and out of coffee shops? We don't have an allowance for office space.   View Answer

Manager Operations Interview

Manager Operations
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – Be prepared to discuss your background and how you can benefit the company
Know the organizations culture

Interview Question – If I asked your boss where you can improve the most, what would they say?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted 2 days after applying for a phone screening. It was more of a phone interview than screening. It then took over 3 weeks to hear anything back.

Interview Question – What type of social media tactics would you employ to get more followers/users?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at AOL in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter. The first phone screen was scheduled in a week. This call was with the hiring manager. In this call, we discussed my previous work experience, why the position I am interviewing for interests me, what value I can add and what kind of products interest me.

I was then invited for an onsite interview. Met the recruiter, hiring manager, two product managers, one developer and a cultural ambassador.

Hiring Manager: In this interview, the hiring manager was basically gauging my product acumen. Questions were like- what is your favorite product and why? What can you do to improve mail? How can you make it more social? What is your idea of social, give specific examples.

Product Managers: In these interviews, the product managers were gauging how I deal with day to day activities. Questions were like- How to resolve design and technical conflicts between your product direction and an engineer's idea of product direction? Some discussion around Free and Premium models, specific ideas to improve mail esp contact, event and calendar management.

Developer: In this interview, the developer was focussed on understanding how I work with engineers. Questions were like- How do you resolve conflicts between design and engineering, how do you decide product direction, how do you handle conflicting/changing priorities, what are you strengths and weaknesses?

Cultural ambassador: In this interview, the HR tried to gauge how my attitude and values align with respect to that of the company. Questions were like- have you worked with a difficult personality, how did you handle it? What would you do if your manager is difficult and is a micro manager? What does your ideal job like? What did you think of the previous interviews?

Recruiter: This was basically exchanging pleasantries, showing around the office, gauging my interest in the position and company. The recruiters were great and kept me engaged throughout the process of getting approval for my offer. That helped me know that they were working on the next steps. I enjoyed working with such friendly and genuine recruiters.

After clearing the onsite interview, I spoke with my hiring manager's manager on a phone since he was based out of another location. His focus was to gauge my business acumen and the ability to see the big picture. Questions were like- How do you finalize and pitch a product idea? How do you get buy in?

After my interview, I was invited to join a birthday party for one of my team members. I thought that was very warm of the team.

Interview Question – None were unexpected. They were very specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter came back with a number. I said I expected x because of a,b reasons. They said they'd see what they can do. Came back within 24 hours with the exact number that I had asked for.

Intern Interview

Intern
Dulles, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through University. Got a call from HR who asked initial questions about experiences with systems and websites. Then HR called again and scheduled an phone interview with the hiring manager and a skype interview with three other members from the team.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would negotiate with business team to reduce workload on your tech team?   View Answer
  • Explain how you have used html or any other programming language before?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Advertising Sales Director Interview

Advertising Sales Director
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at AOL in January 2010.

Interview Details – (1) Met with recruiter (2)Met with the hiring manager (3) met regional managers, (4) met WC VP. (5) present to team, (6) offered job, (7) negotiate. (8) accept.

Interview Question – Present one of our clients to us.   View Answer

Principal Product Manager Interview

Principal Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – Once past recruiter multiple interviews with hiring manager and potential co-workers

Negotiation Details – pretty cut and dry here it is, take it or leave it

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter within AOL. I went through 2 phone screens; one with the recruiter and one with the hiring manager. I was then brought in to meet with a group of 6 people (2 at a time) who asked questions about my background, previous experience and gave me scenarios to answer. I was brought back a third time to meet with the SVP, the interview lasted about 20 minutes. From there I met again with the hiring manager and talked about next steps.

Interview Question – "How much do you know about agency terms?" This was in regards to the terms and conditions for a media contract for a specific agency partner.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They're pretty strict in regards to what they offer for a base salary, but there is a little room to negotiate.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AOL in July 2013.

Interview Details – i only had one interview - I am trying to switch industries (from finance to online media). The interviewer seemed to believe that I needed tech experience to do this job well.

Interview Question – Tell me about the analogies between financial trading and the Adtech space right now   View Answer