AOL Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

Marketing Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in June 2010.

Initial phone interview. First on-site interview was with the hiring manager and HR. Follow up on-site interview with HR. The atmosphere was energetic. Employees on the younger, trendier side. Dress is business-casual, leaning toward casual.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a mistake you've made at work in the past, how you handled it, and what the resolution was.   Answer Question
    No negotiation occurred regarding salary, but there was wiggle-room with regards to the number of stock options granted.

Senior Digital Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at AOL in December 2013.

The interview process was very straightforward

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected questions include what I actually liked to do outside of work.   Answer Question

Network Operations Center Technical Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at AOL.

The process was very thorough and when interviewing candidates, the picture of what the job entails was explicitly presented to the individual as we were a 24/7/365 shop.

Interview Questions
    • if there were 3 light bulbs in the basement and 3 switches upstairs without designation of what switch was for which light how would you determine what switch was for the first light, the second light and third light.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Online application
    Web test
    Phone interview
    F2F interviews (3)

Interview Questions
    • Some questions were very difficult graduate math questions   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at AOL.

First round a call from the recruiter to know more about candidate.
    Second round skype interview with a team lead, was asked to build a simple calculator android app.

Patch Local Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at AOL in July 2013.

I sent in a resume and clips through the usual channels but then I emailed two of their local editors whom I'd met at an industry function and asked them to put in a good word. This led to a 25-minute phone interview.
    The recruiter who called from New York got a feel for my local knowledge but she seemed more interested in my work methodology than in how much I knew. It seemed like the job of local Patch editor involved more content management, and blogger outreach, than it did real journalism.
    To the recruiter's credit, she did volunteer salary info before I got a chance to ask about it. When I found out how lot it was, I respectfully expressed that I didn't think I'd be a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Are you prepared to work out of your car and out of coffee shops? We don't have an allowance for office space.   View Answer

Manager Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at AOL.

Be prepared to discuss your background and how you can benefit the company
    Know the organizations culture

Interview Questions
    • If I asked your boss where you can improve the most, what would they say?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in October 2013.

I was contacted 2 days after applying for a phone screening. It was more of a phone interview than screening. It then took over 3 weeks to hear anything back.

Interview Questions
    • What type of social media tactics would you employ to get more followers/users?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at AOL in September 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter. The first phone screen was scheduled in a week. This call was with the hiring manager. In this call, we discussed my previous work experience, why the position I am interviewing for interests me, what value I can add and what kind of products interest me.

I was then invited for an onsite interview. Met the recruiter, hiring manager, two product managers, one developer and a cultural ambassador.

Hiring Manager: In this interview, the hiring manager was basically gauging my product acumen. Questions were like- what is your favorite product and why? What can you do to improve mail? How can you make it more social? What is your idea of social, give specific examples.

Product Managers: In these interviews, the product managers were gauging how I deal with day to day activities. Questions were like- How to resolve design and technical conflicts between your product direction and an engineer's idea of product direction? Some discussion around Free and Premium models, specific ideas to improve mail esp contact, event and calendar management.

Developer: In this interview, the developer was focussed on understanding how I work with engineers. Questions were like- How do you resolve conflicts between design and engineering, how do you decide product direction, how do you handle conflicting/changing priorities, what are you strengths and weaknesses?

Cultural ambassador: In this interview, the HR tried to gauge how my attitude and values align with respect to that of the company. Questions were like- have you worked with a difficult personality, how did you handle it? What would you do if your manager is difficult and is a micro manager? What does your ideal job like? What did you think of the previous interviews?

Recruiter: This was basically exchanging pleasantries, showing around the office, gauging my interest in the position and company. The recruiters were great and kept me engaged throughout the process of getting approval for my offer. That helped me know that they were working on the next steps. I enjoyed working with such friendly and genuine recruiters.

After clearing the onsite interview, I spoke with my hiring manager's manager on a phone since he was based out of another location. His focus was to gauge my business acumen and the ability to see the big picture. Questions were like- How do you finalize and pitch a product idea? How do you get buy in?

After my interview, I was invited to join a birthday party for one of my team members. I thought that was very warm of the team.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter came back with a number. I said I expected x because of a,b reasons. They said they'd see what they can do. Came back within 24 hours with the exact number that I had asked for.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in November 2011.

Applied through University. Got a call from HR who asked initial questions about experiences with systems and websites. Then HR called again and scheduled an phone interview with the hiring manager and a skype interview with three other members from the team.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would negotiate with business team to reduce workload on your tech team?   View Answer
    • Explain how you have used html or any other programming language before?   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.