AOL

Updated Feb 2, 2015

Tax Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AOL in October 2013.

campus interview

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of attention to detail.
      Could come from your past work experience, or study.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AOL in October 2013.

I was contacted 2 days after applying for a phone screening. It was more of a phone interview than screening. It then took over 3 weeks to hear anything back.

Interview Questions
    • What type of social media tactics would you employ to get more followers/users?   Answer Question

Principal Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at AOL.

Once past recruiter multiple interviews with hiring manager and potential co-workers

pretty cut and dry here it is, take it or leave it

Contract Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AOL.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter within AOL. I went through 2 phone screens; one with the recruiter and one with the hiring manager. I was then brought in to meet with a group of 6 people (2 at a time) who asked questions about my background, previous experience and gave me scenarios to answer. I was brought back a third time to meet with the SVP, the interview lasted about 20 minutes. From there I met again with the hiring manager and talked about next steps.

Interview Questions
    • "How much do you know about agency terms?" This was in regards to the terms and conditions for a media contract for a specific agency partner.   Answer Question
    They're pretty strict in regards to what they offer for a base salary, but there is a little room to negotiate.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AOL in September 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter. The first phone screen was scheduled in a week. This call was with the hiring manager. In this call, we discussed my previous work experience, why the position I am interviewing for interests me, what value I can add and what kind of products interest me.

I was then invited for an onsite interview. Met the recruiter, hiring manager, two product managers, one developer and a cultural ambassador.

Hiring Manager: In this interview, the hiring manager was basically gauging my product acumen. Questions were like- what is your favorite product and why? What can you do to improve mail? How can you make it more social? What is your idea of social, give specific examples.

Product Managers: In these interviews, the product managers were gauging how I deal with day to day activities. Questions were like- How to resolve design and technical conflicts between your product direction and an engineer's idea of product direction? Some discussion around Free and Premium models, specific ideas to improve mail esp contact, event and calendar management.

Developer: In this interview, the developer was focussed on understanding how I work with engineers. Questions were like- How do you resolve conflicts between design and engineering, how do you decide product direction, how do you handle conflicting/changing priorities, what are you strengths and weaknesses?

Cultural ambassador: In this interview, the HR tried to gauge how my attitude and values align with respect to that of the company. Questions were like- have you worked with a difficult personality, how did you handle it? What would you do if your manager is difficult and is a micro manager? What does your ideal job like? What did you think of the previous interviews?

Recruiter: This was basically exchanging pleasantries, showing around the office, gauging my interest in the position and company. The recruiters were great and kept me engaged throughout the process of getting approval for my offer. That helped me know that they were working on the next steps. I enjoyed working with such friendly and genuine recruiters.

After clearing the onsite interview, I spoke with my hiring manager's manager on a phone since he was based out of another location. His focus was to gauge my business acumen and the ability to see the big picture. Questions were like- How do you finalize and pitch a product idea? How do you get buy in?

After my interview, I was invited to join a birthday party for one of my team members. I thought that was very warm of the team.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter came back with a number. I said I expected x because of a,b reasons. They said they'd see what they can do. Came back within 24 hours with the exact number that I had asked for.

Patch Local Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AOL in July 2013.

I sent in a resume and clips through the usual channels but then I emailed two of their local editors whom I'd met at an industry function and asked them to put in a good word. This led to a 25-minute phone interview.
    The recruiter who called from New York got a feel for my local knowledge but she seemed more interested in my work methodology than in how much I knew. It seemed like the job of local Patch editor involved more content management, and blogger outreach, than it did real journalism.
    To the recruiter's credit, she did volunteer salary info before I got a chance to ask about it. When I found out how lot it was, I respectfully expressed that I didn't think I'd be a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Are you prepared to work out of your car and out of coffee shops? We don't have an allowance for office space.   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL in July 2013.

i only had one interview - I am trying to switch industries (from finance to online media). The interviewer seemed to believe that I needed tech experience to do this job well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the analogies between financial trading and the Adtech space right now   View Answer

Homepage Assistant Editor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AOL in July 2013.

The interview process started by speaking with an HR recruiter who asked the typical questions. Then I had an in person interview with 2 editors. Then I completed a very extensive edit test where I had to write articles for the web, write headlines, pitch stories and edit articles

Interview Questions
    • If you were programming the homepage today which 3 stories would you put in the best spots?   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AOL.

Applied on LinkedIn and received an email to set up the phone interview on the very next day.

Interview Questions
    Pleasant. They wanted to make sure I received a fair wage.

Legal Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at AOL.

I was originally hired via a temporary (staffing) agency to work there, so my interview process wasn't the normal process I expect. But there wasn't anything unusual about the process either. Standard questions asked about one's experience, how one handles certain situations, etc. It has been several years, so I do not remember specific questions at this time.