AOL

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at AOL in February 2013.

I was recruited through my school's job board. They were actually very friendly and sent me an e-mail asking me to interview with them and I gladly accepted.

There was three interview stages, and they ran for a total of about 1.5 hours. Many of the questions were behavioural, and they wasn't anything too out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • The cultural ambassador wants to assess your attitudes about dyanamic work environments... asks many behavioural questions that must be tied back to AOL's values   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AOL in February 2013.

The person that I would be replacing appeared to be extremely busy, making hundreds of phone calls per day. The job appeared to be very exciting, but very busy. The other workers were all interesting people, with strong resumes and Internet backgrounds. They told me that I had the job, subject to approval by corporate. The only problem was that because the company was part of a major corporation, the hiring decision needed to be approved by the corporation, and the approval took months and months and never came.

Interview Questions
    • Can you wait and not accept your other job offers until corporate approval is received for the AOL job offer?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AOL.

2 interviews, 1 hour per interview

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AOL in November 2012.

I was just reading through some of the Glassdoor reviews on AOL and one poster mentioned that the company lacks standard policies and procedures. I can see why this statement was made based on my experience.

I saw the initial job post online and applied (resume and cover letter). About a week later I heard from a recruiter requesting a phone screen. A few weeks later we finally got on the phone. I felt that the recruiter was using somewhat of a combative tone when discussing my perceived lack of experience related to the job and my salary requirements. I got off of that call feeling that I had little chance of getting a call back. I got an email the next day stating that the hiring manager wanted to talk to me.

I spoke to the hiring manager later in the week. It was a pretty straightforward conversation…quick walk through my resume, questions around what I wanted to do in my next position, and more information about the position. I received an email the following week to schedule in-person interviews on the Dulles campus a couple weeks later.

I was scheduled for 6 onsite interviews (some were actually video interviews with people offsite). The interviewers were in adjacent groups and from the manager through VP level, including another talk with the hiring manager. The interviews mainly consisted of me talking about my related job experiences and what I was looking for in a new position. There were some questions about AOL, it’s product offering, and my impressions of how the company should proceed moving forward. Make sure you know some of the basic facts of the company like CEO, stock price, product offering, competitors, etc. A couple of the interviews also had case-like questions with one breaking out into a full-blown case. Be prepared for the possibility of case questions, bring a pen/paper and be ready to do some math…nothing too strenuous though.

A few days later, I was scheduled to do another phone interview. That call was pretty pleasant as most of the time was spent with me asking questions. I got off of this call feeling pretty good and expecting to hear next steps pretty quickly. A week, then 2, then 3 went by with no word from AOL. At the 4 week mark I decided to email the recruiter and ask if I was still being considered for the position. The recruiter immediately responded and said that they would circle back with the team to get more information. That was 4 weeks ago…so it has been a total of about 8 weeks since I have heard anything official.

At this point it’s safe to assume that I am off of their radar, but it’s very TACKY and UNPROFESSIONAL of them to put me through all of those interviews, then not have the decency to communicate with me and let me know what is happening with the process, or at least keep me in the loop. It says a ton about how things probably operate internally there.

The people that I interviewed with were all nice, pretty laid-back, and seemed to really enjoy working at AOL. The offices were well-lit and colorful…more of a start-up environment than that of a company that has been around for decades.

Interview Questions
    • What is the P/E ratio of AOL? Do you think this is high or low?   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL in November 2012.

First, there is the phone interview to filter through the real candidates.

Then, you will have to come in for an in-person interview that will typically take 2 - 3 hours. The talent acquisition team has a comprehensive interview process the focuses on behavioral questioning. You need to be consistent with your answers with every interviewer you have. There is an entire booklet of questions that hiring managers can choose from to have his or her team ask you.

The cultural ambassador interview is probably the most unpredictable. You will be presented with scenarios and your response will be judged on how well they align with AOL's values. SO, LEARN AOL's values (www.corp.aol.com) prior to your interview. The cultural ambassador actually gives you a grade and it can affect your compensation. They take this stuff seriously.

Interview Questions
    • How have you exhibited AOL's values in your previous position(s)?   View Answer
    There isn't much negotiation. So be prepared to play hard ball.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL in September 2012.

Phone screen followed up by in person interview. I was supposed to interview with four people, starting with a peer and then finishing with the most senior. Instead, I interviewed with the most senior person first. It went well, but be prepared for questions designed to trip you up if you haven't done your HW (who is AOL's CEO?). Pretty easy, but also be prepared to answer questions seemingly unrelated to the role (why did you decide to go to the college you went to?).

After that, I was supposed to meet with this other guy who was on the phone. He was obviously not interested in our appointment, because his call went well into our scheduled time. After five minutes of them fumbling around trying to figure out what I should do next, I was put in an office and given a number to call to conduct a phone interview with someone who was working at home that day. Pretty standard. The most annoying part was that the guy I was supposed to be meeting with basically barged in while I was on the phone, and forced me to interrupt the call just to let him know I who I was speaking to. It was totally obnoxious.

After the phone call, oddly enough, I was told that the other people I was supposed to talk to were busy. Including the guy who interrupted me. What a coincidence! I saw him on the way out and he didn't even say hello or sorry or acknowledge me. Pretty rude.

I didn't even get a follow-up message. I emailed the recruiter a week later and she said the role had been filled. Gee, thanks for the update :)

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AOL in July 2012.

The 6 hour interview process went smooth, but I felt my personal portfolio presentation was overly analyzed by people who didn't even have their own work public. Everyone was generally more critical than they should of been considering only 2 out of 8 of the interviewers had portfolios. I was shocked that I never received feedback after several attempts as to why they passed, even the recruiter didn't really know. Strange experience

Interview Questions
    • So explain your process when dealing with engineers who have their own way of interpreting your designs   View Answers (2)

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at AOL in May 2012.

HR interview then interview with supervisor - a lot of behavioral question from HR then the interview with supervisor was chill

Network Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at AOL in May 2012.

Great communications / email exchange / scheduling.
    Went through 2 phones interviews , received document to provide answers to - high level naming convention / design questions.
    Some points were technical - need to have some Internet related experience

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AOL in April 2012.

Everyone there was very knowledgeable and personable. They asked good questions and gave me a very good impression of the company and its culture. All around good experience.