AOL Interview Questions & Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

2.8

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at AOL in June 2014.

Technical phone interview - Took around 45 mins and was asked few object oriented questions and a program to know the largest set of contiguous numbers in a given set of numbers

Face to face - 6 persons interviewed and a additional cultural ambassador interview.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at AOL in September 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter. The first phone screen was scheduled in a week. This call was with the hiring manager. In this call, we discussed my previous work experience, why the position I am interviewing for interests me, what value I can add and what kind of products interest me.

I was then invited for an onsite interview. Met the recruiter, hiring manager, two product managers, one developer and a cultural ambassador.

Hiring Manager: In this interview, the hiring manager was basically gauging my product acumen. Questions were like- what is your favorite product and why? What can you do to improve mail? How can you make it more social? What is your idea of social, give specific examples.

Product Managers: In these interviews, the product managers were gauging how I deal with day to day activities. Questions were like- How to resolve design and technical conflicts between your product direction and an engineer's idea of product direction? Some discussion around Free and Premium models, specific ideas to improve mail esp contact, event and calendar management.

Developer: In this interview, the developer was focussed on understanding how I work with engineers. Questions were like- How do you resolve conflicts between design and engineering, how do you decide product direction, how do you handle conflicting/changing priorities, what are you strengths and weaknesses?

Cultural ambassador: In this interview, the HR tried to gauge how my attitude and values align with respect to that of the company. Questions were like- have you worked with a difficult personality, how did you handle it? What would you do if your manager is difficult and is a micro manager? What does your ideal job like? What did you think of the previous interviews?

Recruiter: This was basically exchanging pleasantries, showing around the office, gauging my interest in the position and company. The recruiters were great and kept me engaged throughout the process of getting approval for my offer. That helped me know that they were working on the next steps. I enjoyed working with such friendly and genuine recruiters.

After clearing the onsite interview, I spoke with my hiring manager's manager on a phone since he was based out of another location. His focus was to gauge my business acumen and the ability to see the big picture. Questions were like- How do you finalize and pitch a product idea? How do you get buy in?

After my interview, I was invited to join a birthday party for one of my team members. I thought that was very warm of the team.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter came back with a number. I said I expected x because of a,b reasons. They said they'd see what they can do. Came back within 24 hours with the exact number that I had asked for.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AOL in April 2013.

They talk very nice during the interview process, but no communication whatsoever after that.

Interview Questions
    • They just have a set of prepared questions. Interview will be based on that. Won't ask anything about your previous work or anything of that sorts.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AOL in April 2011.

Interviewed with director first. Then onsite interview with the team 1 week after that. Then HR calling for pay rate in 2 days. done.

Interview Questions
    • What is advantages and disadvantages of a PID controller? (the intern position was for data analysis and my background was in control).   Answer Question
    They have an instruction. For internship the negotiation wont go to much or even any change to the original offer.

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at AOL in July 2012.

The 6 hour interview process went smooth, but I felt my personal portfolio presentation was overly analyzed by people who didn't even have their own work public. Everyone was generally more critical than they should of been considering only 2 out of 8 of the interviewers had portfolios. I was shocked that I never received feedback after several attempts as to why they passed, even the recruiter didn't really know. Strange experience

Interview Questions
    • So explain your process when dealing with engineers who have their own way of interpreting your designs   View Answers (2)

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at AOL in September 2010.

I was cold contacted by a recruiter and set up a phone interview. Was told upfront that they were looking for a very senior admin but after discussions it seemed more like they were hoping for a very senior admin who would be willing to do work at a junior level/pay.

Interview Questions

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!