Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Software Engineer, Intern Interview
I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at AOL.
Applied through college for Software Engineering Internship very early in the college year. They like to wrap up their internship quest before the end of November to get the best candidates before other companies. (Very good idea)
Got called for a 20 min phone interview which contained questions such as:
- General Object Oriented Questions
- Behavioural Questions e.g. Describe a time you had a conflict with a teammate.
- Questions about HTML. How do you insert an image using html.
- Object oriented questions.
- Then it's your turn to ask questions.
A few days later I was notified about progressing to the next stage. An interview at their office in Dublin.
I get to the office a week later. And there are 3 interviews lined up.
One written examination.
One interview with two developers.
One interview with a cultural ambassador.
Written Exam: 45mins
Handled by the lovely HR staff, they give you an evaluation form to fill out.
-Questions on HTML
-Questions on CSS
-Questions on java:
-- Reverse a string
-- Reverse a string using an array
Interview with 2 developers: 45mins
- Very friendly, nice guys who put me at ease straight away and were able to have the odd laugh throughout the interview.
- Object oriented questions... polymorphism, class hierarchy, etc.
- Talking about your previous projects
- Possibly sketch out architecture of your project on whiteboard
- Couple of data structure questions.
- What technologies have you read about recently that you find interesting.
- Basically making sure you are competent.
Cultural Ambassador: 20mins
- Very nice, friendly and chatty woman.
- This interview is laid back, but still very important. If you fail this, then you have no hope of being hired.
- More behavioural questions here about previous team experiences and how you dealt with them.
- They want to make sure you'll fit in with everyone on your team.
At the end, the HR girl showed me around the beautiful building that they have.
Good experience, amazing building, amazing people.
- What technologies have you read about recently that you find interesting..... I stumbled through this answer, as I was not prepared for it. Answer Question
Interviews for Top Jobs at AOL
- Software Engineer (14)
- Intern (5)
- Senior Software Engineer (5)
- Marketing Manager (5)
- Business Analyst (4)
- Manager (3)
- Analyst (3)
- Project Manager (3)
- Associate Software Engineer (2)
- Account Manager (2)
- Product Manager (2)
- Senior Business Development Manager (2)
- Business Development Manager (2)
- Senior Director (1)
- Accountant (1)
- Applications Analyst (1)
- Architect (1)
- Legal Administrative Assistant (1)
- Summer Intern (1)
- Information Security Analyst (1)
- Interactive Designer (1)
- Research Manager (1)
- Human Resources Director (1)
- Service Delivery (1)
- Production Coordinator (1)
- Brand Marketing Manager (1)
- Marketing Program Manager (1)
- Senior Software QA Engineer (1)
- Ad Sales (1)
- Associate Editor (1)