AOL

2.9

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL in April 2014.

Had 1 technical interview session in codility consisting of 4 questions.
Then I was assigned a 24 hr timeline project to complete (developing a web application)
Then onsite interview consisting of 5 30-minute sessions followed by a discussion with a cultural ambassador who focuses on your overall fit into the company's culture
Finally a Skype session with the hiring manager since he couldn't meet me on the day of the onsite interview

Interview Questions
  • The technical questions were pretty much standard. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    The cultural discussion session had a lot of questions for which there is just no right answer. Most of them are questions that look for your opinion on things like team building, building trust with your teammates, etc etc.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for AOL

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AOL.

applied online and interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, 1 hour per interview

Interview Question – too much behavior questions

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AOL.

2 interviews, 1 hour per interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AOL in March 2011.

I had applied online through the company website. After a couple of weeks I had a telephonic interview followed by a 1:1 interview at their office. They verbally offered me the position the next day which I accepted. Although it did take much time for them to send the official offer letter.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate the joining date and the duration of the internship, although I didn't have much say on the salary as it was intern position and the company had strict policies regarding salaries.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at AOL.

I applied via college placements office. Interview was arranged about two weeks after submitting CV.

Along with a few others from the college, I was invited for a two hour long interview session in the AOL office. It consisted of a written test that went over very basic knowledge of general coding (string and array problems), solved in your preferred language. Then some simple javascript, SQL and CSS questions. I say simple, but if you're rusty you could easilly slip up! A quick revision session using a short cheat sheet of the fundamentals of each would be fine.

After the test, there is a 30 minute interview with a technical manager and an engineer, Very relaxed and the people carrying out the interview are very nice, and relaxed. They understand some things may not be fresh in your memory, as in college you learn one thing and move straight on to another. But of course if you slip up on the fundamentals here it will not be good.

Be prepared to discuss iteration, selection, recurssion, boolean logic, data types, classes, data structures etc. You don't need to solve any problems, just clearly show you understand the fundamentals. Writing on a white board can help flesh out what you have in your head that might not translate to your words very well.

Lots of questions about past projects and your contributions will also come up.

The last thing is a cultural interview with a member of HR for about 15 minutes. It's just to see if your core character is in line with AOL's core value's.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the differences between iteration and recursion. Not really a difficult question, but I jumped in a bit quick on describing recursion in laymans terms (cinema row analogy) instead of actually pointing out the differences between the two.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AOL.

two interviews, approachable interview process, but cultural fit is a weird one. asked a mixture of technical and general questions. some questions were repeats. they do take their time and are not always responsive to feedback. maybe, they were looking for a particular look of a candidate. be prepared for any sort of questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AOL in April 2014.

I had a phone interview with a senior software engineer and didn't go any further. I answered everything correctly and in depth. I didn't remember exactly the MVC pattern's components though and in my feedback that was the reason of the rejection along with bad communication skills. They said I was asking the interviewer to repeat his questions (which never happened) and that suggests bad communication skills.

Interview Questions
    • Apparently the MVC pattern is very important for a Software Engineer, even for a "non-Web" role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL in September 2013.

Contacted by recruiting team. A practical Java test followed by a 30 min tech screening. Then I was invited to a 4 hour Skype call, which includes another round of online Java/SQL/Web test, 1:2 tech interview, cultural ambassador from HR and manager interview. Technically not challenging, I think I hit most of the answers. Only after 2 days I was told all tech tests/interviews are good but I fail to provide specific example in some of the behavioural questions, thus not good enough for this role. The HR team is actually very good. Very nice and efficient in coordinating the interviews/tests, even gave me a call back explaining everything in the end. The interviewers of technical round are very friendly, good communication, nice to talk to, detailed answer to my questions. But cultural ambassador and manager interview is tougher, 2 solid hours of behavioural questions, duplicated questions, no project experience asked, no response or feedback, no smile on their face. All leads me to believe that managers are not particularly looking for someone with good technical skills and project experience.

Interview Questions
    • Just be prepared and careful with your answer for all the behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL.

Telephonic technical interview held by a nice, friendly person.
    All basic questions were asked just to confirm whether you hold a relevant experience & knowledge.
    All the questions were basic & simple. But HR/Recruitment team didn't respond back about my feedback/status although I gave all the answers in technical round. Interviewee should be informed about their status.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL in January 2013.

I had a chance to be interviewed by AOL Dublin. The entire interview process took around 2 weeks. After submitting application, hiring coordinator contacted me for the purpose of establishing contact and getting clue if I am still considering the job application.

The interview started with on-line coding test consisted of two easy tasks. That is followed by phone interview lasted around 1 hour. Interviewers were quite polite, supportive and friendly asking good questions on Java syntax, collections, threads, and web services. They made me feeling very comfortable answering each question, so I had no issues related.

In a day after that, hiring manager contacted me again to schedule 1:1 interview through Skype since I have not been in Ireland that time. The 1:1 interview consisted of Java, JavaScript, JSP, SQL and Web-related question sections summing up to overall 30-35 questions. It is a very good way of assessing candidates on technical ability to deliver the working code without using IDE or syntax assistants. So, the questions were practical requiring writing real code and knowing specifics on method signatures and return types. It covered collections and threading in Java as well as SQL and Entity Relationships in databases. The 1:1 interview is the most important since it takes on-line through Skype if you are not present in Ireland.

After that, I should have been participated in Cultural Assessment interview, but, since I made some mistakes and did not solve any problems in JSP section I did not pass 1:1 interview. So, I have not been proposed an offer. Hiring manager contacted me 2 days after 1:1 interview and politely explained me the intentions and assessment measurements taken by engineering team to make decision on my profile. That was really good sign for the international company having hundreds of applicants on a monthly basis and spending their time for each new applicant. So, AOL got really good internal corporate culture.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were more or less reasonable and logically sequential. There were no surprises or out of topic discussions, so if you are applying for Java software engineer position, prepare for Java related questions.   Answer Question