AOL

Updated Feb 2, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL in April 2014.

Had 1 technical interview session in codility consisting of 4 questions.
Then I was assigned a 24 hr timeline project to complete (developing a web application)
Then onsite interview consisting of 5 30-minute sessions followed by a discussion with a cultural ambassador who focuses on your overall fit into the company's culture
Finally a Skype session with the hiring manager since he couldn't meet me on the day of the onsite interview

Interview Questions
  • The technical questions were pretty much standard. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    The cultural discussion session had a lot of questions for which there is just no right answer. Most of them are questions that look for your opinion on things like team building, building trust with your teammates, etc etc.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for AOL

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AOL.

applied online and interviewed at AOL.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, 1 hour per interview

Interview Question – too much behavior questions

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AOL.

2 interviews, 1 hour per interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AOL in March 2011.

I had applied online through the company website. After a couple of weeks I had a telephonic interview followed by a 1:1 interview at their office. They verbally offered me the position the next day which I accepted. Although it did take much time for them to send the official offer letter.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate the joining date and the duration of the internship, although I didn't have much say on the salary as it was intern position and the company had strict policies regarding salaries.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at AOL.

Started off with a general knowledge test about java,sql,c++ etc. Nothing too difficult, how to reverse a string etc.

A technical interview interview followed this. Around 45 minutes long, detailed questions about your knowledge of certain languages such as java, also some general technological questions at the end, "what is a bit, how many bits in a byte" etc.

Another interview followed this, a short 15 minute HR interview. You get told the goals of the company and you have to show how you are a team player and stuff like that. This interview was a bit strange, they seem to take it quite serious.

Interview Questions
    • They go into detail about your personal projects so be prepared.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at AOL.

I applied via college placements office. Interview was arranged about two weeks after submitting CV.

Along with a few others from the college, I was invited for a two hour long interview session in the AOL office. It consisted of a written test that went over very basic knowledge of general coding (string and array problems), solved in your preferred language. Then some simple javascript, SQL and CSS questions. I say simple, but if you're rusty you could easilly slip up! A quick revision session using a short cheat sheet of the fundamentals of each would be fine.

After the test, there is a 30 minute interview with a technical manager and an engineer, Very relaxed and the people carrying out the interview are very nice, and relaxed. They understand some things may not be fresh in your memory, as in college you learn one thing and move straight on to another. But of course if you slip up on the fundamentals here it will not be good.

Be prepared to discuss iteration, selection, recurssion, boolean logic, data types, classes, data structures etc. You don't need to solve any problems, just clearly show you understand the fundamentals. Writing on a white board can help flesh out what you have in your head that might not translate to your words very well.

Lots of questions about past projects and your contributions will also come up.

The last thing is a cultural interview with a member of HR for about 15 minutes. It's just to see if your core character is in line with AOL's core value's.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the differences between iteration and recursion. Not really a difficult question, but I jumped in a bit quick on describing recursion in laymans terms (cinema row analogy) instead of actually pointing out the differences between the two.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AOL.

two interviews, approachable interview process, but cultural fit is a weird one. asked a mixture of technical and general questions. some questions were repeats. they do take their time and are not always responsive to feedback. maybe, they were looking for a particular look of a candidate. be prepared for any sort of questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AOL in April 2014.

I had a phone interview with a senior software engineer and didn't go any further. I answered everything correctly and in depth. I didn't remember exactly the MVC pattern's components though and in my feedback that was the reason of the rejection along with bad communication skills. They said I was asking the interviewer to repeat his questions (which never happened) and that suggests bad communication skills.

Interview Questions
    • Apparently the MVC pattern is very important for a Software Engineer, even for a "non-Web" role.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL in September 2013.

Contacted by recruiting team. A practical Java test followed by a 30 min tech screening. Then I was invited to a 4 hour Skype call, which includes another round of online Java/SQL/Web test, 1:2 tech interview, cultural ambassador from HR and manager interview. Technically not challenging, I think I hit most of the answers. Only after 2 days I was told all tech tests/interviews are good but I fail to provide specific example in some of the behavioural questions, thus not good enough for this role. The HR team is actually very good. Very nice and efficient in coordinating the interviews/tests, even gave me a call back explaining everything in the end. The interviewers of technical round are very friendly, good communication, nice to talk to, detailed answer to my questions. But cultural ambassador and manager interview is tougher, 2 solid hours of behavioural questions, duplicated questions, no project experience asked, no response or feedback, no smile on their face. All leads me to believe that managers are not particularly looking for someone with good technical skills and project experience.

Interview Questions
    • Just be prepared and careful with your answer for all the behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AOL.

Telephonic technical interview held by a nice, friendly person.
    All basic questions were asked just to confirm whether you hold a relevant experience & knowledge.
    All the questions were basic & simple. But HR/Recruitment team didn't respond back about my feedback/status although I gave all the answers in technical round. Interviewee should be informed about their status.