APA Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.1

Interview

I submitted an application online and received a response within 24 hours stating I would not be considered as a candidate. Although disappointing, I appreciated the quick turnaround and communication of their decision.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at APA (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied to the job about three weeks after it was posted. About a month later, after I presumed I wasn't in the running, they called me to offer me an interview. I went in and met with the HR business manager, who asked me a few very basic behavioral questions for 10-15 minutes or less. I then met with the hiring manager, who also asked very simple, "what-would-you-do-if" scenario questions. From there, it became more of a casual conversation where I asked about APA culture and an average workday and what the best things about APA are. I was doing pretty well, so they brought in the head of the department to meet with me to talk about the position and my interests, also fairly informal. I was free to go afterwards, the meeting spreading to about 45 minutes. Three days later, my HR rep contacted me to say she would be emailing my references. About two weeks passed (I think my HR manager was out of town for a week) and I received an offer over the phone.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses? How do you stay organized? What is your experience with sensitive documents?   Answer Question

Site Visit Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at APA (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I was called in my hiring recruiter. She asked me a few questions to make sure I met the minimum requirement. She then told me I would meet with the hiring manager for the position I applied for. We went to the hiring managers floor and she asked me a series of questions and told me about the position. I then met with her team which were five professionals who I would be working with.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at APA.

Interview

Process took one week, not very structured interview. Was given job right away without having to say much. Must have been looking for someone last minute-- continued to state that it would be a great opportunity for me. Discussed social media use on the job, although this was not what I was expecting to be doing with my background.

Interview Questions

• None were difficult--mostly asked about my major and interests. Felt more like a casual conversation.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at APA.

Interview

Had a lengthy phone interview and was then contacted by HR that they were not moving forward with my application. The staff members seemed nice, but I was caught off guard when they turned to HR to reject me, when that was my first interaction with HR.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at APA (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

Met with direct manager, human resources rep and group interview with team. Overall questions focused on ability to handle processes related to administrative duties. Two to three weeks between interview and job offer. Met with direct manager, human resources rep and group interview with team. Overall questions focused on ability to handle processes related to administrative duties. Two to three weeks between interview and job offer.

Coordinator (Administration) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at APA (Washington, DC) in August 2010.

Interview

I interviewed with the APA a few weeks ago. It was a relatively easy interview process. First, I met with the HR Director; I actually shown up about 15 min. early for the interview and she had me waiting in the lobby for another 40 minutes! She was extremely nice though; she just looked over my resume and took down a few notes while making small talk. She then told me that I was to interview with my would-be supervisor. So, I waited another few minutes until my interviewer came to get me and take me to her floor. She was very nice and funny; although she read off a prepared sheet of questions, it was a very easy and relaxed interview. She asked me the usual questions: What were your responsibilities at your previous job? Why should I hire you over any other applicant? Just be prepared to answer questions about your job capabilities rather than so much about the company. However, you should read up on the specific office that you are interviewing for (i.e. education, women, accreditation, etc.). Each office has its own specific webpage seperate from apa.org. After interviewing with my would-be supervisor, she took me over to her boss' office for the final stage of the interview. Her boss was very sweet and asked me just a few questions, one of them being "What would you do if you were in a situation at work in which a colleague had a differing opinion regarding how to handle a specific project?" After the interview, my would-be supervisor asked me to write her an e-mail explaining why I wanted the job. She was very straight-forward and said it was to measure my follow-up and writing skills. About 10 days (which was a little longer than I should have waited) after sending the first e-mail I sent a second. I got a response right away saying that they were still in the interviewing process and I should expect a call soon. I know that they have called up at least one of my references, so I am hoping for a job offer this week.