APL

Updated Aug 16, 2014
Updated Aug 16, 2014

2.9

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at APL.

I was referred to the company by an industry contact. I told him he could recommend me. They contacted me for a phone interview, and that was followed up by an in person interview. In person I met with a vice president, then had lunch with a group of senior managers. We discussed the position and the work I was doing at my current firm throughout the meeting(s), which lasted a few hours.

Interview Questions
    • The job dealt with purchasing. They asked about my experience in purchasing commodities.   View Answer

Sales Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at APL.

A friend who works at a staffing firm suggested I submit my resume for this position opening. APL was trying to hire very quickly and the process moved very fast - I had an interview within 3 days of sending my resume. The interview questions were primarily based off of past experiences and behavioral situations. I struggled with answering some of the questions regarding prior experience, since my background wasn't specifically congruent with the questions they were asking.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about the most difficult sales client you have dealt with and how did you ultimately gave them a satisfactory experience?   View Answer

Customer Service Interview

Received a phone interview with 3 people: two managers and an HR rep. It was very informal, however, I interviewed for a different job than I had expected. Not sure that it matters but the interviewers were all women.

Interview Questions
    • They asked the basic questions about how I have responded to conflict in the past, what my experience has been in transportation and ocean cargo, etc.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at APL in January 2014.

Filled out an application online and a few days later got a call from a recruiter who asked me a few questions. Scheduled me a in person interview and sent me link for an assessment test to test my skills and excel. Went to my scheduled interview. Everything happened within a week.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. They were all Behavioral Interview questions. They did ask me what did I know about APL but I had studied the website so I was able to give them a detail description of the company   Answer Question
    There were no negotiation of pay due to salary based upon the area.

Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at APL.

Basic questions and inquiries into your past positions and duties. They also asked situational questions to see how you acted in the past. For example "name a time you had to manage change..." and so forth.

Interview Questions
    • When they asked to describe a time when you didn't get along with someone. Kind of hard to explain and make it sound good. Perhaps this is why I didn't get it. Maybe knowing this you'll have better luck.   Answer Question

Senior Regional Human Resources Manager for Latin America and the Caribbean Including the Miami Office HQ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at APL.

The annual strategic and operational plan dictates the among of FTEs for the year, HR planning is developed to align HR to company's goals, objectives and tactical plan. Individual within the company are assess through the Talent Program and new hire are closely match to the job qualification of the position. Talent is encourage to be hired to assist and support the organization.

Interview Questions
    • The search of talent in a tight market, how to find the talent for each position within the established timeframe.   View Answer
    • Developed the business case to increase new FTEs in the organization   View Answer
    Very honest and easy to work with the Vice President of Human Resources during the compensation and relocation hiring process

Anonymous Interview

Multiple interviews, and very thorough process, with detailed in-depth questions -- but overall process took way too long.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of what you've done in the past to make a significant and lasting change to your organization.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at APL in June 2013.

Phone screen with HR/recruiting was outstanding, and the hiring manager face-to-face went really, really badly. Supposed to be behavioral and some technical interviewing, and instead went completely down the rat hole on prior experience.

Interview Questions
    • It was supposed to be a few minutes on my background, and the rest was behavioral interviewing. Ever have a case of it started out great, and it went careening into the ditch fast...

Instead the whole hour was questioning my last company's business practices, management's decisions, what or why they would take the approach they did, etc. All of which was fine, but towards the middle of it, I felt more that I was defending the company's decisions, (and they are out of business, so defending or over explaining their poor decisions was not as important as what the lessons learned were).

Possibility I dogged a bullet and maybe this is an isolated experience where the hiring manager and I were not going to jell, and I might have saved both of us a difficult experience.
        Answer Question

Sailor Interview

I was a union hire. Join a union, have all of the credentials necessary, be ready to ship, and then go to your union hall each day and look for work. I wish sometimes that there were a different way of doing things, but it is done out of the union hall and there is not another way into the shipping game

HRIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at APL in November 2011.

A staff agency reached out to for this position. This was followed by an indepth phone interview with the hiring manager.

A group interview then occurred with the Sr HRIS Manager and 4 HR Directors.

Their thoughts and recommendations were then passed onto the Global HRIS Director in Singapore. Three weeks later I was offered the position

Interview Questions
    • Nothing new in the questions except my perception of current technology and how to leverage it within the company. The surprise was that they weren't doing that.   Answer Question