AREA203 Digital

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

SEO Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AREA203 Digital in January 2012.

Their recruiter posted the job on a popular subsite of a social news site, and I replied to it. The recruiter seemed very excited and was anxious to get me in on a phone interview. The company was willing to pay for relocation, which is awesome. Chattanooga seems like a great place to work, and I was open to relocation at the time.

So, I was setup with a phone interview with three people. Now, for those of you who don't know, doing a phone interview with three people is incredibly awkward. All three are on a singular speakerphone (it's hard enough to hear one person) and asking questions at random times. Again, whatever. I perform pretty well on interviews regardless of the situation.

So, we get on the phone and little to my surprise, it's incredibly hard to hear. The phone interview last for about an hour with questions ranging from past SEO experiences, how you've envisioned ROI, and what you've done during Panda 2.2. I answered all of them with responses that are quite detailed.

Recruiter comes back and says I'm the top candidate. Awesome. Then, the communication stops. I end up calling him back every few days to check on the status of the position (granted, I was interviewing for 5 other positions at the time) to let him know my status. He tells me that they like me, he just wasn't sure of the next steps.

Finally, I'm at a point where I have two offers on the table. I call Area203 back, after not hearing from them for a week (after I had come to them with another offer the week before) and the recruiter attempts to get in contact with the hiring team, to no avail. I accept another offer, and politely decline further consideration.

Area203 seems eager to hire, with all of the recruiter's posts on Reddit and Twitter, but when it comes down to the actual process, they fall flat on their face. This is not the recruiters fault as he was a consummate professional the entire time but the hiring team's. If you're looking for "the best of the best" don't leave the best of the best on the market for that long. My impression was that they wanted to do a Skype interview (after the one hour phone interview) before they met me in person, so that may be your next step.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the process. Any SEO professional who is in the market for a position may want to look elsewhere, at least if you're decent at what you do.

Interview Questions