ARM Holdings

Updated Feb 7, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings in February 2015.

I had a technical telephone interview. Most of the questions were about Java, and in particular, about various things that Java did or did not have. Afterwards, there was an in-person interview where we discussed what the team did, my CV, and there was a short technical question about parsing.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fulbourn, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fulbourn, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ARM Holdings in January 2015.

Initial HR phone call, followed by a pre-screening written task and two face-to-face interviews both with the line manager. The first was with a peer and the second was with the senior line manager

Interview Questions
    • The written task listed several tasks the role would typically encounter and asked for your views on them.

Both interviews focused on how you'd address day to day and longer term strategic challenges and personal preferences on how you came to those conclusions. These were fairly detailed and drilling questions.

Answer Question

Graduate Engineer - Modeling Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings in December 2014.

Applied and got an invite for a phone interview several weeks later. They asked me about experience I had on my CV and then asked me some technical questions about C++ and computer architecture. The questions were just covering the basics so if you've had some real world C++ experience (probably 6 months at least) you should know the answers.

The computer architecture questions were also just covering the basics but you should have at least done a small course in architecture beforehand.

Then I got invited for an assessment day, most of which was just hearing about the company and stuff, fairly relaxed. There was a group project with a Lego mindstorms kit where you were assessed but I don't think that part would have a large bearing on your application. This was followed by a 1.5 hour interview where they asked me a few more technical questions on C++ and architecture, which I thought was easier than the phone interview.

Overall very positive experience, but some drawbacks were that it took two weeks to hear back when I made my application and the assessment day was nearly eight hours long! I think the assessment day should definitely be cut down to maybe four hours as it takes up your whole day.

Didn't negotiate salary (£32000) but I got to choose which half of the modelling department I joined (Performance or Fast models)

Software Engineer/Design and Verification/Operating Systems Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings in December 2014.

Applied through the University programme UKESF. Took me about 2 weeks to get a response and another 2 weeks to actually get to the Interview.
    One round only and 3 different face-to-face Interviews which lasted 1h - 1.5h each. All of the interviews were during the same day so it lasted for some time.
    Overall was really satisfied with how each student is treated there just maybe some of the questions were a bit challenging as I was asked almost nothing from the courses that I was studying so apparently University studies did not help at all.

Interview Questions
    • Some basic questions/tasks about C programming (pointers, arrays..), design task for receiving data bytes from the transmitter (C programming), Asked to explain different parts of some old SOC configuration. For people studying only Electronics I would suggest going through Software Engineering lectures from other courses to know about how memory is managed in a SOC and CPU. Ideally read about the Architecture of CPU and Microcontrollers as I was asked this in all 3 Interviews with ARM. I only studied Electronics and had no courses related to this except when we briefly looked into simple microcontrollers without going into detail so it was good decision going through Software Engineering course notes before the interview.   Answer Question

6 MonthHardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ARM Holdings.

Got invited to ARM's hq in Cambridge 1-2 months after applying. I was interviewed by one of their hardware engineers. He asked me first if I knew VHDL which I didn't at the time so he asked me to write a program C. He then asked me optimise the program (remove redundant statements to make it faster etc .). As some counting was being performed in the program , I was asked to design a digital counter that could perform such a function.
    Lastly he asked me to draw the internals of an SoC (System on Chip).

Interview Questions
    • A bit surprised by the SoC questions. I would advise people to look up SoC architectures from companies like Qualcomm etc.   Answer Question

Applications/Embedded Software Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ARM Holdings.

I just completed the Assessment Day stage of the recruitment process and the experience overall, was excellent. The process so far has been as per the recruitment brochure Online Application >> Telephonic Interview >> Assessment Day.

Telephonic Interview:
    It took 1 week for them to get back to me to schedule a telephonic Interview. This lasted for about 40-45 mins and was not very technical but this might not always be the case, so its probably best to be prepared for anything. I suppose at this stage their main focus is to measure the motivation and enthusiasm for the applied role and the company.

Assessment Day:
    Another couple of weeks and I was informed that I made it to the next round and was invited to attend the Assessment Day in about a month's time. Attending the assessment day can be nerve-wracking but they do put in a lot of effort to make the candidates feel relaxed and focused. There is a group exercise that is assessed thats preceded and/or followed by interviews.

I interviewed for Applications Engineering and Embedded Software Engineering positions and the experience was great. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the questions were not hard or easy but tricky.

My advice for anyone interviewing for these roles is to brush up on Computer Architecture Concepts (and its implications on software) and embedded C programming.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked problem based questions where the interviewers presented/described to me, a scenario and asked questions based on that. Personally I enjoyed the questions as they made me really think, and when I was stuck a few times they did give me a nudge which was good.   Answer Question

SoftwareAdvanced Product Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings in October 2014.

1st stage was a phone interview with 3 senior engineers, mainly just to learn more about myself and ask questions on my CV. a few technical questions but nothing too difficult, more of how well you know about computers in general.

2nd stage was a face to face interview with 2 of the 3 same engineers as the phone interview. Went deeper into my CV as well as more challenging technical questions.

Good experience, was quite nervous therefore struggled to articulate myself better.

Interview Questions
    • steps taken to fixing bugs in smaller chips (debugging tools - software & hardware)   Answer Question

Graduate Technical Author Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later and asked to take part in an at-home writing test. The test took about an hour and they called a few days later to schedule a phone interview. Over the phone they mostly just asked about my motivation to work at ARM and why I was interested in this position specifically. They also asked about my technical qualifications (although it was clear from my CV that I don't have an engineering background and they repeatedly stressed that a technical background was not necessary). About a week later they asked me to come for a face to face interview. They asked question after question of "describe a situation when..." and then gave me another writing test. It was clear that the two interviewers could not agree on whether or not it was appropriate to hire people without an engineering background and the interview was very uncomfortable. One interviewer told me they pretty much already knew who they were hiring and was insulting with respect to authors they've hired without previous technical experience. Two weeks later I got an email explaining that they weren't hiring me because they were only hiring people with a mixture of technical and writing experience. Why would you waste my time and yours if you knew you only wanted people with technical experience? It all struck me as very unprofessional.

ARM Holdings Response

Sep 23, 2014Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. There was obviously some disconnect between the recruiter and the hiring manager in this case, and we're sorry you had a negative experience. We'll pass on this information to ... More

Graduate Compiler Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings in August 2014.

One phone interview and one face-to-face. They paid airplane, taxi and hotel. They first sent me a simple problem to implement it (color convertion for 2-D image and blending). Then we talked on the phone for my background, optimizations on the piece of code I wrote. Face-to-face had 3 phases, each with a group of 2 people. First general C questions and a bit of hardware, second compiler stuff and third compiler specific optimizations. Not very difficult but I wasn't well prepared. Very relaxed guys, eager to answer every question about the company and even make a joke.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had a problem with a colleague?   Answer Question

Graduate Implementation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ARM Holdings in August 2014.

This is a telephone interview lasting around 15 mins. The HR mentioned he got lots of candidates to interview, so he spoke very fast. Firstly, he asked me to briefly introduce my background. Then, he asked a lot of details about my previous projects and coursework, such as "what is my MSc individual project", "what kind of development boards have you used", "What is most complex project using C programming language you had done". Finally, he asked me about the directions that I am interested in. He always showed his interests when I talked about different kinds of technologies. Overall, it is an nice experience.

Interview Questions
    • Low-power IC design technology, like power gating, clock gating.   Answer Question