ARM Holdings

3.2

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer/Design and Verification/Operating Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings in December 2014.

Applied through the University programme UKESF. Took me about 2 weeks to get a response and another 2 weeks to actually get to the Interview.
    One round only and 3 different face-to-face Interviews which lasted 1h - 1.5h each. All of the interviews were during the same day so it lasted for some time.
    Overall was really satisfied with how each student is treated there just maybe some of the questions were a bit challenging as I was asked almost nothing from the courses that I was studying so apparently University studies did not help at all.

Interview Questions
    • Some basic questions/tasks about C programming (pointers, arrays..), design task for receiving data bytes from the transmitter (C programming), Asked to explain different parts of some old SOC configuration. For people studying only Electronics I would suggest going through Software Engineering lectures from other courses to know about how memory is managed in a SOC and CPU. Ideally read about the Architecture of CPU and Microcontrollers as I was asked this in all 3 Interviews with ARM. I only studied Electronics and had no courses related to this except when we briefly looked into simple microcontrollers without going into detail so it was good decision going through Software Engineering course notes before the interview.   Answer Question

6 MonthHardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ARM Holdings.

Got invited to ARM's hq in Cambridge 1-2 months after applying. I was interviewed by one of their hardware engineers. He asked me first if I knew VHDL which I didn't at the time so he asked me to write a program C. He then asked me optimise the program (remove redundant statements to make it faster etc .). As some counting was being performed in the program , I was asked to design a digital counter that could perform such a function.
    Lastly he asked me to draw the internals of an SoC (System on Chip).

Interview Questions
    • A bit surprised by the SoC questions. I would advise people to look up SoC architectures from companies like Qualcomm etc.   Answer Question

Applications/Embedded Software Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ARM Holdings.

I just completed the Assessment Day stage of the recruitment process and the experience overall, was excellent. The process so far has been as per the recruitment brochure Online Application >> Telephonic Interview >> Assessment Day.

Telephonic Interview:
    It took 1 week for them to get back to me to schedule a telephonic Interview. This lasted for about 40-45 mins and was not very technical but this might not always be the case, so its probably best to be prepared for anything. I suppose at this stage their main focus is to measure the motivation and enthusiasm for the applied role and the company.

Assessment Day:
    Another couple of weeks and I was informed that I made it to the next round and was invited to attend the Assessment Day in about a month's time. Attending the assessment day can be nerve-wracking but they do put in a lot of effort to make the candidates feel relaxed and focused. There is a group exercise that is assessed thats preceded and/or followed by interviews.

I interviewed for Applications Engineering and Embedded Software Engineering positions and the experience was great. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the questions were not hard or easy but tricky.

My advice for anyone interviewing for these roles is to brush up on Computer Architecture Concepts (and its implications on software) and embedded C programming.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked problem based questions where the interviewers presented/described to me, a scenario and asked questions based on that. Personally I enjoyed the questions as they made me really think, and when I was stuck a few times they did give me a nudge which was good.   Answer Question

SoftwareAdvanced Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings in October 2014.

1st stage was a phone interview with 3 senior engineers, mainly just to learn more about myself and ask questions on my CV. a few technical questions but nothing too difficult, more of how well you know about computers in general.

2nd stage was a face to face interview with 2 of the 3 same engineers as the phone interview. Went deeper into my CV as well as more challenging technical questions.

Good experience, was quite nervous therefore struggled to articulate myself better.

Interview Questions
    • steps taken to fixing bugs in smaller chips (debugging tools - software & hardware)   Answer Question

Graduate Technical Author Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later and asked to take part in an at-home writing test. The test took about an hour and they called a few days later to schedule a phone interview. Over the phone they mostly just asked about my motivation to work at ARM and why I was interested in this position specifically. They also asked about my technical qualifications (although it was clear from my CV that I don't have an engineering background and they repeatedly stressed that a technical background was not necessary). About a week later they asked me to come for a face to face interview. They asked question after question of "describe a situation when..." and then gave me another writing test. It was clear that the two interviewers could not agree on whether or not it was appropriate to hire people without an engineering background and the interview was very uncomfortable. One interviewer told me they pretty much already knew who they were hiring and was insulting with respect to authors they've hired without previous technical experience. Two weeks later I got an email explaining that they weren't hiring me because they were only hiring people with a mixture of technical and writing experience. Why would you waste my time and yours if you knew you only wanted people with technical experience? It all struck me as very unprofessional.

ARM Holdings Response

Sep 23, 2014Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. There was obviously some disconnect between the recruiter and the hiring manager in this case, and we're sorry you had a negative experience. We'll pass on this information to ... More

Graduate Compiler Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings in August 2014.

One phone interview and one face-to-face. They paid airplane, taxi and hotel. They first sent me a simple problem to implement it (color convertion for 2-D image and blending). Then we talked on the phone for my background, optimizations on the piece of code I wrote. Face-to-face had 3 phases, each with a group of 2 people. First general C questions and a bit of hardware, second compiler stuff and third compiler specific optimizations. Not very difficult but I wasn't well prepared. Very relaxed guys, eager to answer every question about the company and even make a joke.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had a problem with a colleague?   Answer Question

Graduate Implementation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ARM Holdings in August 2014.

This is a telephone interview lasting around 15 mins. The HR mentioned he got lots of candidates to interview, so he spoke very fast. Firstly, he asked me to briefly introduce my background. Then, he asked a lot of details about my previous projects and coursework, such as "what is my MSc individual project", "what kind of development boards have you used", "What is most complex project using C programming language you had done". Finally, he asked me about the directions that I am interested in. He always showed his interests when I talked about different kinds of technologies. Overall, it is an nice experience.

Interview Questions
    • Low-power IC design technology, like power gating, clock gating.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at ARM Holdings in July 2014.

I am yet awaiting a response from them after telephonic interview. But I will still post the details of telephonic interview that happened!

I was contacted by a consulting firm which was recruiting for ARM (read recruiting as head hunting). I applied and my interview was scheduled

I was interviewed by 2 Staff Engineers at ARM.

The telephonic interview was for only 1 hour. As long as you are willing to work out the interviewers would help you derive at the answers. Here are the questions which were asked during interview for me

1. Details of my job. Questions on my current role at my current company
    2. On any microcontroller before the program hits main() what all is done ?
    3. Where will the global variable int i reside in a micro controller and where all it will go when the program executes ?
    4. What is a SCL ? What does it do. Does the partition happen during compilation or execution
    5. Caches (This is something I am really scared and un-aware of) They asked the following questions --->
    a) When are caches used ?
    b) When is it necessary to do a cache management?
    c) Suppose you write a C program to access an a large array and you are replacing some 10 random numbers in that array, Do you need to take care of cache handling there ?

Since I was totally lost on cache, they did explain me how the cache is needed and stuff.

After this the interview ended! So I am assuming that it won't go further. I had prepared all C programs, ARM architecture, but was stuck cos of the Caches ! :-(

IT Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ARM Holdings.

First contact through mail.
    Two interviews in total. First through phone, second one on the assessment day.
    Behavioral and general educational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions regarding programming languages, hypothetical business cases and procedural situations.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ARM Holdings.

Long drawn out process. Very difficult questions, very complicated considering its a placement job for little money

Interview Questions
    • Most of them. Software development related. Experience related   Answer Question

ARM Holdings Response

Aug 12, 2014Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm sorry that you had a negative experience in the interview process.

Is there a specific aspect of the process that you feel we can improve upon that would have left
    ... More