ASDA

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.3

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ASDA.

Firstly, I completed the online application and received a call back the next day. It was arranged for me to attend a Magic event the following week.

At this event, I was part of a group of 10 people where we were all dressed in suits/shirts and ties (with the females wearing formal attire). We were firstly introduced to all of the staff member who would be attending to us during the day and told each of their backgrounds with ASDA.

We were then paired off and asked to talk to each other for a short spell and ask one specific question alongside other facts about the person (our question was, if you were invisible for a day, what would you do?). This eased the tension in the room and got everyone aquinted with one another. We were then asked individually what cartoon character we would choose to be and why.

We were then seperated into two groups of 5. Each group was asked to think of one revolutionary product which we would then market and attempt to sell to the management staff, obviously testing our team working abilities,

Once that had been completed, we were taken for our individual interviews in a seperate room, this was a light hearted, quick interview that was rather informal.

Once we had completed our interviews, we were asked to provide our clothing sizes and dates and times of availability to work and also which departments we would prefer to work in.

All in all, the day was very pleasant and the staff were super friendly. NOT something to worry about if it is your first ever induction/interview.

Interview Questions
    • When have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer
    • Can you tell me an example of a time when you have given excellent customer service?   View Answer

Nights Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ASDA in July 2014.

Group interview with team building exercises observed by a few managers who are taking notes etc, then individual interviews afterwards with normal questions previous experience, what would you do in this situation etc. Pretty straightforward. Had a have a go session, Heard back within a couple of days, got the job etc.

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA.

I applied online and was invited to attend an Asda Magic event. There were about 11 of us. We were kept standing in reception for around 40 minutes then escorted to the training room which contains a rectangle of desks with chairs. There was a name sticker for each of us.

We had a short talk from each of 3 people about their personal experience working for Asda, which was very interesting. We then had to pair off, learn about our partner, and take turns presenting them to the rest of the group. We had an extensive tour of the building, then returned to the training room. We were grouped in 3s and 4s and had to compete to build the best house of cards in a time limit, which was the final activity before leaving.

I got called back for an interview a few days later. After I arrived I had to wait in reception while they tried to find someone to interview me. After about 50 minutes I was taken directly to the shop floor for my "have a go" experience (just some shelf stacking and a chance to chat to other staff and ask them any questions). I was then interviewed by a random section leader as the one who would be my boss couldn't be found. She was very pleasant and just went through a basic form with me. She told me I would hear at the weekend if I had the job (although it was actually a couple of weeks later).

Interview Questions
    • What did you enjoy about the "have a go" experience?   View Answer

Personal Shopper Interview

Group interview, have to introduce the person next to you ... ask name and why they want to work at asda; and choose a product from a bag and sell to other. Simply interview questions about costumer service.

Part-time Colleague Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ASDA.

Quick hiring process, received a phone call a few days after completing online application form inviting me to a group interview the following week. Group interview was fun, fairly informal and nothing to be nervous about. It started off with everyone being put into pairs and you then had to introduce the person sitting next to you - name, age, where they live, hobbies, why the want to work at Asda and one thing you would put in a time capsule - so that everyone could get to know each other. After this everyone was divided into groups of 4 and you had to construct the highest tower you could out of spaghetti and marshmallows. At this point we were also asked to fill in forms about what section of the store we wanted to work in and what our availability was. This struck me as slightly odd as the form I'd filled in online was for a specific role, as had all the other people in the interview. The day after the group interview i received a phone call inviting me for an individual interview the following day. Here i was asked questions about the skills I'd developed and scenarios in which I'd helped customers before. (If you've never had a job before they have a different set of questions to ask you.) They then offered me a temporary contract on checkouts (not remotely what I'd applied for but hey ho) and I was then sent down onto the shop floor with a "buddy" to experience working on a checkout and see if I liked it and wanted to accept the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a colleague who wasn't pulling their weight?   Answer Question

Checkout Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in January 2011.

Online application, group selection, one to one interview. Nothing unexpected.

To get through the online section you have to do my small amount of research into the beliefs and values so that you can answer some questions based on these. Just a case of answering what they want to hear.

ASDA Colleague Interview

Anonymous Employee in Barking, London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Barking, London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA in September 2014.

We had a group interview and we were paired into groups of two and you talk about each other. I was paired with a lady who was borderline irritating and made both of us look bad. They wanted me to be available more than I could as I study I wanted a 20hour contract and they just wanted me to be around more which I couldn't do

Interview Questions
    • They asked about how I helped my previous store save money   Answer Question

New Store Opening So Various Positions Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockport, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Stockport, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in September 2014.

I applied online and was invited to a group interview. We were all put into pairs and had to find out three things about our partner which we then shared with the rest of the group, then we were put into groups of five and to make a presentation about a product then stand up with the group and present it. Then we had one to one interviews I felt mine went very well. We were told we would receive an email or phone call within a week, I received neither and had to keep ringing up to ask if I had been successful, eventually after a few weeks of calling I was told I passed the interview but there were no suitable positions available then a month and a half after the interview I finally got an email telling me I had been unsuccessful.

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty straight forward interview questions.   Answer Question

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA.

There was a group of us (8) and went through some simple tasks. About five managers (I can't remember exactly) went through the group interview with us.

First part was where we paired with the person we sat beside and were given a few minutes to find out a bit about the person and why they want to join ASDA, which we then reiterated to the group. I think it was basically a test of how well you listen.

Next task was where we all formed together as one group and had to think up the pros and cons of a particular product, which was their Bag for Life, and how we would market them. We were given time to discuss it amongst ourselves and then someone was nominated as spokesperson (by basically speaking first when no one else did, which I did) and explained it to the managers. A simple test of teamwork.

Next task was a bit time on the shop floor doing some stacking and seeing how well you got on. That was for about 10 minutes.

Finally, each of the managers took us for an individual interview and asked us the typical things such as "Tell me about yourself" and "What is your working process"? Just answer in a way that is customer-oriented and it's simple.

That was it. Of the people there only one person didn't get that job and that's basically because she didn't speak voluntarily. I only heard her speak once and that was at the beginning. Everyone else said something or made a contribution and presumably that was they were after: someone with a bit of confidence and willing to work with the team.

Christmas Temp Interview

interviewed at ASDA in November 2014.

Online application customer service questions then English comprehension and basic maths followed by asda magic group interview ,then one to one interview the following week. Whole process taking around 2 weeks. Process was good people were friendly.

Wanted perminant role