ASDA

Updated Jan 18, 2015
Updated Jan 18, 2015

2.3

Part-time Colleague Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ASDA.

Quick hiring process, received a phone call a few days after completing online application form inviting me to a group interview the following week. Group interview was fun, fairly informal and nothing to be nervous about. It started off with everyone being put into pairs and you then had to introduce the person sitting next to you - name, age, where they live, hobbies, why the want to work at Asda and one thing you would put in a time capsule - so that everyone could get to know each other. After this everyone was divided into groups of 4 and you had to construct the highest tower you could out of spaghetti and marshmallows. At this point we were also asked to fill in forms about what section of the store we wanted to work in and what our availability was. This struck me as slightly odd as the form I'd filled in online was for a specific role, as had all the other people in the interview. The day after the group interview i received a phone call inviting me for an individual interview the following day. Here i was asked questions about the skills I'd developed and scenarios in which I'd helped customers before. (If you've never had a job before they have a different set of questions to ask you.) They then offered me a temporary contract on checkouts (not remotely what I'd applied for but hey ho) and I was then sent down onto the shop floor with a "buddy" to experience working on a checkout and see if I liked it and wanted to accept the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a colleague who wasn't pulling their weight?   Answer Question

Checkout Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in January 2011.

Online application, group selection, one to one interview. Nothing unexpected.

To get through the online section you have to do my small amount of research into the beliefs and values so that you can answer some questions based on these. Just a case of answering what they want to hear.

ASDA Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barking, London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barking, London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA in September 2014.

We had a group interview and we were paired into groups of two and you talk about each other. I was paired with a lady who was borderline irritating and made both of us look bad. They wanted me to be available more than I could as I study I wanted a 20hour contract and they just wanted me to be around more which I couldn't do

Interview Questions
    • They asked about how I helped my previous store save money   Answer Question

New Store Opening So Various Positions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockport, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockport, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in September 2014.

I applied online and was invited to a group interview. We were all put into pairs and had to find out three things about our partner which we then shared with the rest of the group, then we were put into groups of five and to make a presentation about a product then stand up with the group and present it. Then we had one to one interviews I felt mine went very well. We were told we would receive an email or phone call within a week, I received neither and had to keep ringing up to ask if I had been successful, eventually after a few weeks of calling I was told I passed the interview but there were no suitable positions available then a month and a half after the interview I finally got an email telling me I had been unsuccessful.

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty straight forward interview questions.   Answer Question

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA.

There was a group of us (8) and went through some simple tasks. About five managers (I can't remember exactly) went through the group interview with us.

First part was where we paired with the person we sat beside and were given a few minutes to find out a bit about the person and why they want to join ASDA, which we then reiterated to the group. I think it was basically a test of how well you listen.

Next task was where we all formed together as one group and had to think up the pros and cons of a particular product, which was their Bag for Life, and how we would market them. We were given time to discuss it amongst ourselves and then someone was nominated as spokesperson (by basically speaking first when no one else did, which I did) and explained it to the managers. A simple test of teamwork.

Next task was a bit time on the shop floor doing some stacking and seeing how well you got on. That was for about 10 minutes.

Finally, each of the managers took us for an individual interview and asked us the typical things such as "Tell me about yourself" and "What is your working process"? Just answer in a way that is customer-oriented and it's simple.

That was it. Of the people there only one person didn't get that job and that's basically because she didn't speak voluntarily. I only heard her speak once and that was at the beginning. Everyone else said something or made a contribution and presumably that was they were after: someone with a bit of confidence and willing to work with the team.

Christmas Temp Interview

interviewed at ASDA in November 2014.

Online application customer service questions then English comprehension and basic maths followed by asda magic group interview ,then one to one interview the following week. Whole process taking around 2 weeks. Process was good people were friendly.

Wanted perminant role

ASDA Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ASDA in November 2014.

I found an advert for ASDA colleague on the Universal Jobmatch website. The link redirected to an automated online application form on the ASDA website. I had to answer many questions, focusing mostly on customer service. I answered the questions thinking what the company would like me to say rather than being honest. I had a call from the payroll department of the local store about 10 days later and invited to an interview. I expected a group interview, instead it was a 1-2-1 interview with one of the executives. I was then verbally offered a 25 hours a week position at the checkouts. Nect Sunday I was invited for a group induction where we were shown boring videos with much salespeople slang. We had to fill some questionaires based on the video but the team leader would suggest the answers. Eventually we all signed the contracts and started working the same week.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you were successful after putting much effort in your cause.   Answer Question
    The only negotiation possible is about the shifts during the week. In my case I asked to work weekends and they were quite happy with that.

Service Crew Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in October 2014.

There was an online application which included situational questions. After I passed that they rang me to invite me to a group interview (which they call a 'Magic session').
    In this session there were 16 on us. We were paired up with the person next to us and had to ask them general questions about them then introduce them to the rest of the group. After that we watched an Asda promotional video about how good it is working there, then had a do-it-yourself part where we basically went in-store and rearranged stock like a normal employee would. When we returned we got split into two groups and had to make a structure out of marshmallows and spaghetti, which one person from the team had to pitch to everyone else. It wasn't very serious at all and it's more to find out about your personality and teamwork skills.
    I passed that and got called to an individual one-to-one interview. Questions inlcuded previous examples of teamwork, good customer service, ability to work alone and use inituitive, what you'd do with an uncooperative team member etc. She also asked about my hours and flexibility, which was also a part of the group session. The interviewer was nice. A few days later I got an email saying I didn't get the job. Other people who did get the job got a phone call.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were left on your own for a task when the manager/supervisor had left?
      What would you do if you knew you wouldn't be able to achieve your targets?
      How would you deal with a uncooperative team member?
      What is an example of good customer service you have received?

Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Loughborough, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Loughborough, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA in November 2014.

very good the staff were very good and easy to talk to they made you feel at easy and they want you to succeed and get on they are looking for people that are all rounder's that can help others

Home Delivery Driver Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in September 2014.

Had an online assesment first then got called in for a group interview. We had to talk to and then introduce the person sat next to us to the rest of the group and then we watched some ASDA company information videos (not sure why, they didn't ask any questions about them). Finally we did a group based task where we had to build a tower of cards, was pretty simple, they just want to see how you work with other people.

Then I got called back for a second one-to-one interview in which I had to complete a knowledge, attitude, hazard perception and risk assesment with regards to driving. Some of the knowledge questions were a bit tricky but they're all multiple choice so it's not too bad. After scoring either low or medium risk on this test you'll go for a one-to-one interview (If you get a high risk score then I imagine they don't hire you) with a section manager which was all very informal for mine. The section leader basically asks why you want to be a driver, what experience you have of working in a team, getting on with people you don't like, and explains a bit about the job. They also check with the DVLA that you don't have any points on your licence.

After this they call you back and let you know whether or not you got the job, I got called back about 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple of questions on driving that I didn't really know the answer too and still don't really, the test gives you the 'correct answer' after you've completed it but many times I found that the given answer was too general and didn't actually answer the original question, for example; Is it legal to exceed the speed limit to overtake? When driving in foggy conditions how should you join a highway at a junction? What is the correct procedure to join a motorway when traveling behind a large slow-moving lorry?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.