ASPCA Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.5

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

There were several rounds of interviews. First a phone screen, then a face to face with someone in HR, next was a face to face with one of the department heads. I did not get an offer from this company. That's fine because I don't really think it was the right fit for me. They seem like REALLY, REALLY awesome people though! I know that they have some not so great reviews on Glass Door. I can't speak as an employee, but everyone I met there was warm, wonderful and really, really friendly.

Interview Questions

• There were LOTs of "What would you do if... type questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I don't typically write reviews, but as a result of the frustrating hiring process I felt inclined to share my experience. This doesn't reflect the people who interviewed me, as I enjoyed meeting with them. I met with 4 people in the new york office on two separate occasions. I was told they would reach a decision by next week, but I didn't hear anything by that date. I was later asked to provide references (that hr did call). A week later I sent hr a brief note to check on the status, and the hr manager didn't respond back to my email. The next week she advised me I would find out by the end of the week. Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard any news, so I called and was initially asked if I could hang up so she could send me an email. She then went on to tell me that they had decided to change the position to make it more senior and were not moving forward with me. This is something that happens, and I get that. I feel hr should have communicated this to me personally, instead of essentially leaving me in the dark. The process in general was very drawn out, and hr never took responsibility for the dates I was told decisions would be made.

Animal Care Technician Interview

Application

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ASPCA.

Interview

I had a phone interview that lasted about 30 mins or so with someone from HR. I was asked basic questions about my animal experience and the different facilities I work at. It was pretty straightforward. Then I came in person for the second round of interviews and was asked similar questions by the hospital staff. That lasted for about an hour and they said after the interview that they would like to make me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to administer medications orally and topically? Can you restrain animals up to 50lbs? What is your viewpoint on euthanasia?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The position is temporary, so I was told that the pay is not negotiable. If I were to become permanent at some point that they'd be open to discussion.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ASPCA in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was initially contacted about a week later. HR was very disorganized, however, taking a week or more to respond each time I gave my availability. They also gave one of the 4 people interviewing me the wrong time and this person seemed mad at me for this. One person was nice but the other three seemed distracted (or annoyed.) Overall the interviews were cold and very formal with predictable checklist questions, not at all conversational, making the experience feel bureaucratic and sterile, which is unfortunate for a nonprofit with such a great mission. But maybe I just met the wrong people there, I don't know. No one responded to my thank you emails after the interviews or gave any follow up on the status of the position.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a time you overcame a challenge.   Answer Question

Department Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application about a week prior to being contacted by HR. The person I spoke with actually recommended me for this position based on my background/qualifications (thought I was over-qualified for the other 2 positions I had originally applied to). The interview lasted 2 hours, and I met with 3 people individually (HR, Manager position reported to, and the VP of Adoptions).

Interview Questions

• Asked me to elaborate on background/qualifications, why was I interested in ASPCA, did I have experience in the areas this position required, did I have animal experience and what did that entail, am I comfortable working with executives/VIP guests or in comfortable situations where an animal cannot be saved, specific questions about previous animal organizations I was involved with   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was very excited to have an opportunity to interview with ASPCA and become a helping advocate. I was shock at the coldness of the person I spoke with during this interview. This was not what I was expecting from a representative of a company who displays such affection and warm towards animals. She had me on "speaker" during our conversation which made it very hard to understand her questions. She was abrupt, disconnected and unfriendly. After the phone interview I was turned off regarding my decision of wanting to work there!! I hope the future candidates will have a more positive and friendly experience.

Interview Questions

• The questions were regarding handling vendors in another state   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I was invited to an in-person interview through an email form the HR. No phone interview was necessary. Scheduling a date took pretty long on their part but once set up it was ok. It was a nice and friendly interview but they were just not looking for my skills and former experience.

Interview Questions

• Give an example where you had to handle a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Government Relations Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ASPCA.

Interview

I applied for the position online, and a couple weeks later was asked to come to the office for an in-person interviewer. My interviewer was very friendly and easy going, and our meeting was anything but intimidating. We talked over specific parts of my resume, and standard questions were asked such as "Why are you interested in working here?" and "Where do you see yourself in five years?". My interviewer even gave me a tour of the office afterwards and introduced me to employees (and even some of their pets). Everybody was extraordinarily gracious, and the entire process only took 20-30 minutes.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview came about 3 weeks after applying. HR rep said they would follow up for in person and never got back to me. The interviewer knew nothing about the actual position I was applying for and didn't follow up even to let me know if they had gone with another candidate. Its been two months now and the position is still open on their web site.

Interview Questions

• Name a problem you've encountered at your past job and how you remedied the issue.   Answer Question

Content and Scheduling Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ASPCA (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Their internal recruiter is terrible, I was supposed to have a phone interview with her, she never contacted me, so I wrote to the head of the department and she was very gracious and contacted the recruiter for me. When I finally did have the interview, there was no apology or explanation at all. The last woman I interviewed with would have been my direct supervisor. She was rather confrontational and said she "couldn't tell that I loved animals", and also swore, which I don't usually mind, but come on, it's a job interview. I interviewed three times and met with three people, never heard back after I did the written test. I get it, they hired someone else, but let people know. It's only fair. I found the entire experience very unprofessional. It's a shame because I really believe in their mission.

Interview Questions

• You don't strike me as someone who loves animals. Can you prove it?   Answer Question