AT&T

Updated Sep 27, 2014

2.1

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Wire Technician Interview

Had to wait a month or so for them to contact me but once they did, it moved pretty quickly. It was a fairly simple process once I got my resume uploaded. All of the testing info is available online. It would be more beneficial to an applicant if they knew the salary sooner in the game.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for AT&T

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at AT&T.

Lengthy hiring process. It took about a month and a week to get hired on. I took the assessment and found out that I was qualified. I then went to a recruiting event at a local hotel which just happened to be the same day as my assessment. I was hoping that this would expedite the interview process, which it did. My interview was very short since it was conducted at a hiring event. I thing my case was a bit uncommon; the interviews are usually longer than the 10 minute one that I had.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very standard and I was not asked many since my interview was so short. If you Google common interview questions then you will likely find every question that I was asked online somewhere.   View Answer
    I topped out for this position so there was no room for negotiation. I have heard that even if you do not start out at top pay, there is not much room to negotiate your salary.

Wire Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AT&T.

Online application, phone interview, in person interview, background check, job offer then 9 weeks of training out of town

Interview Questions
    • overall the interview is easy almost everyone gets pushed through to the next step they need so many people   Answer Question
    The offer is usually cut and dry no need to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AT&T in April 2014.

This is going as best as time permits. The slow responses have to do with the recruiters not getting back to the applicants in a timely manner(post testing/assessments/drug screens/medical/background). Are they overwhelmed or is no other person assigned to cover for their absences?

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you resolved a problem from a customer.   View Answer
    Everything were spelled out prior to the offer. There is no reason to negotiate. You have the option to withdraw at every stage of the process so, at the end it is either yes or no.

Wire Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AT&T.

Here's what goes down:

1. You apply.

2. Phase 1: The Testing

The company that issues the test is NOT from AT&T. Their sole purpose is administering the 50 questions of the Premises Assessment Test (PTA).

Before the exam they will give you a brief Test Guide Review Packet. Not really that hard of a test.

Once you complete the test they say they will contact you via email.

3. Phase 2: The Email Response (Part 1)

It should look something like this:

[Name]

Thank you for submitting your initial application for the position of Wire Technician - [City], [State],[Job #]!

We will be evaluating the information you provided, and may contact you by email if we need additional information and to let you know if your skills and experience match this opportunity. Please continue to check your email (including your SPAM and junk email folders).

Thank you for your interest!

Best regards,
    AT&T Staffing

4. Phase 3: The Email Response (Part 2)

At this point you should receive an email from the Recruiting Coordinator that looks like the following if you passed the PTA:

Dear Applicant (literally that's what it says not personal whatsoever),

There will be a Realistic Job Preview (RJP), also known as an interview, for the AT&T Wire Technician position, on [Day], [Date] at [Time]. The location for the preview/interview will be: [Address], and I would like to invite you to attend.

**THIS IS AN INTERVIEW INVITATION EMAIL ONLY. Seating is limited so please let me know if you are available to interview by responding with your name, date and preview location IMMEDIATELY.

If you are NO LONGER interested in continuing in the process please reply letting me know you would like to be withdrawn from consideration.

Once you confirm your availability I will send you an interview confirmation email.

[Recruiter's Name]
    Recruiting Coordinator

[Contact Information]

5. Phase 4: The Realistic Job Preview (RJP) & The Interview

Once you meet at your designated location you will find a document at your seat named "Premises Tech and Wire Technician Assessment [PTA] Candidate Documentation Form" and a video will be shown a video about what Wire Tech's do. Lucky for you I remembered the name of it. You can watch it early via the link below:

After the video and introduction you will begin to talk about the following topics in detail:
     - Safety, Safety, Safety (Did I mention Safety?)
     - 9 Weeks of training (some of this training WILL be out of your local region)
     - What you must buy: Belt and Boots from $300 allowance they give you if you are accepted
     - Average work day: 8am - 11pm (at the latest. Could be 6pm but rarely is)
     - 65 - 70 hours per week
     - NO WHITE SHIRTS OR NAVY BLUE PANTS ALLOWED

After you discuss these topics in more detail then you are asked to fill out the Documentation Form that I named above in detail and answer the following questions. Questions 2-4 have three boxes under the question that are the following: Situation, Behavior, and Solution. These boxes MUST be filled in as they are part of the answer.

After this you are taken to a room to have a one on one interview. To be honest, not much happened in mine. I was asked "Where do you currently work?" I answered the question. My interviewer scanned my answers and then said "Well if you don't have any more questions then you are free to go."

That' s the entire process. So long story short if you fail on any of these phases you can reapply in 6 months. And don't think that's a joke. They take that seriously.

Hope this helps some fortunate soul.

Interview Questions
    • Interview Questions (ALL):

1. Please describe any work experience, education, or training you have that you believe prepares you for the Prem Tech (or Wire Tech) job.

2. Tell me about a time when you dealt with a customer who was angry or upset with you or the company you worked for.

3. Tell me about a time when you had to explain or demonstrate how to use a product to someone (the candidate should also discuss a piece of equipment or software, a service, or an idea).

4. Tell me about a time when you needed to overcome a difficult obstacle or problem in your work.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AT&T in March 2013.

Applied online, and about 2.5 months later I received an email stating that I met the qualifications, and to go online and schedule the Technical/Mechanical Test - Field II (TMT-F II) .

I took the test today, and it was a separate testing company giving the test. I was taken into a closed room with only one computer. You are allowed to take a calculator, but you have to leave everything else behind. It's a timed test with 50 questions, and 50 minutes to answer. There is no clock in the room, or on the computer. I failed because I still had the last few questions to answer when the time ran out. Bummer.

Important: Wear a watch, and keep one in your pocket. If they take your wrist watch, then you'll have a spare in your pocket to keep track of the time. Answer the easy questions first, then go back to the longer ones. When you take the test, confirm that it is better to get a question wrong versus leaving it blank?

The questions involved basic electricity, a few gear questions/which one rotated faster, which direction 3 connecting gears turned, color code 25-pair wire, basic electricity, show you a diagram and ask a series of questions regarding the diagram (water flowing through pipes, where it would get clogged), spatial type questions, and some simple word math problems. (There were no STAR questions like how did you handle a mad customer, what would you do if your co-workers were goofing off...)

If you fail, you get a really nice Failure Diploma (LOL for real??), and you can take the test again in 6 months. But I'll just apply for another position that doesn't require the TMT-F II test.
    -----------------------------------
    I spoke with some AT&T technicians, and this job isn't that great, it's just ok. It will get you by, until you find something else, but it's no career. The bad news is that it doesn't pay that great, it's super hard to get promoted or advance/move to another position, and for some reason the union doesn't support the Wire Technicians like they do the other positions, yet they take your dues. You work in all types of weather and work hard, yet AT&T thinks wire technicians are the bottom of the barrel? It's a time-driven job with scoldings and performance warnings (sometimes unfair) to add to the stress. The good news is the overtime adds to the paycheck, the training is good, they supply all the equipment, and don't try to charge you for anything like the occasional lost or broken tool.

Several technicians suggested applying for other AT&T positions instead. They said that most positions, even customer service and sales, pay better and it's a vast improvement in working conditions. I'll keep my eye out for equal paying positions, and apply for those instead.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions, just remember to manage your time and bring a hidden watch.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chamblee, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chamblee, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AT&T in March 2013.

After applying online I was invited to take a wire technician test online at the AT&T headquarters in Atlanta. A week later I was called in for a "U-verse technician job preview". A group of interviewees (6 of us) and 2 managers sat in a room. The entire time both managers just droned on and on about how "we are always watching you" "the company is always watching you" "it is very easy to get fired here!". The was the worst interview experience I ever had, I considered switching cell phone carriers from AT&T if all the managers are such swines.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AT&T in January 2013.

1- Applied online, after few days they asked me to take the Assessment in Atlanta and i was informed that I am "Qualified". Next step was Realistic Job Preview (RJP) and Assessment Interview with the location Manager.

I arrived half an hour early ready for the interview.
    The Location Manager and his colleague explained to us what the job would look like and sought questions from us, it was a satisfactory explanation about the benefits, the tasks, mandatory overtimes, risks involved with the job, etc.

I had 1 to 1 interview afterwards, which actually took 2 minutes or so. The manager asked me few questions, which I believed were answered successfully:

Interview Questions
    • - An instance in the past where you had difficulty dealing with customer ? how you overcome the situation ?   View Answer
    • - Do you have relevant experience to the Job ?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at AT&T in November 2012.

Had to take a test to even qualify to get the job. Passed the test and go to the RJP, If you make it to the RJP you pretty much have the job, but I have a cousin who is actually in the AIr Force that I refereed and he went to his RJP and the decided he wasn't qualified... Why I don't know because he's a healthy male that's a sergeant in the Air Force, but not good enough to work as a wire tech for AT&T?? Beats me.. So I think it depends on where you go race and who's doing your RJP. Sad that I say that in this day and time about a company as re-noun as AT&T but it is true. If you make it through the RJP which is just basic what you wanna do can you do this and customer service based questions like are you personable and sane enough to have personality to make irate customers feel comfortable with you then you pretty much get the job! Enter at your own risk though... But best of luck to any that have gotten to this point

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to hard.. Important to talk about your people skills   Answer Question
    you want to ask for as much as you can and use your college credits prior experience as leverage. They will meet you somewhere where you will be satisfied, but they will low ball you $9-$10 an hr too if you take it that's your fault!! IMPORTANT!!! because it will not change!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AT&T in August 2011.

You will go to a little group meeting with one on one interviews to follow with a local garage manager. Then several days-weeks later you will get a phone call from a woman who makes more than you ever will with the company telling you $10 is the best the offer starting off etc.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember the questions or anything but those aren't important. If you come across as someone who isn't willing to work late etc. they won't even bother calling you I'd assume.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The woman who calls with the offer literally told me based on her chart there is nothing more she can pay me. Take it or leave it.