AXA Advisors

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Getting the Interview

150 candidate interviews

Financial Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AXA Advisors in June 2009.

Interview Details – They promise you huge growth potential, but really its a scam. After a presentation you set up a meeting with one of the 4 managers who then ask you why you want to work for the company. Spend a lot of time telling you how much money you can make. Expect you to work Monday - Sunday 8am - 9pm.

Interview Question – Are you competitive?   View Answer

Corporate Internship Interview

Clifton Park, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AXA Advisors in February 2010.

Interview Details – Got a call for a interview within 4 days of meeting the EVP at a job/internship expo at my college. Nice people but let me know upfront that it would mostly consist of preparing for licensing and filing papers. Interviewing with NMFN and weighing my options.

Negotiation Details – Barely need to negotiate. Looking for outgoing sales oriented people with an entrepreneurial spirit.

Financial Consultant Interview

Financial Consultant
Oak Brook, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AXA Advisors in April 2009.

Interview Details – I think I had two interviews. They took place over a two month period. There isn't much to plan for in regards to the interview. The process is really about them convincing you to get on board. They throw out a lot of baseless salary figures that attempt to get you drawn in. However, in the first 2 years these are unattainable. Ask for an average or a figure for the first two years and you will get "There's no limit or average, and that's the best part." That's the interviewer saying you will make right around $24,000 your first year of being on contract.

They talk about a salary that will help keep you afloat during the tough times at the beginning. They lightly mention that you have to attain 3,000 production credits or commission dollars and 15 contracts as I was in the RBG division. This is not a problem assuming you have friends and family in the teaching profession. For someone without a network, it can be quite difficult especially for someone moving from out of state to take this position.

They fail to mention that once the production threshold is attained you are at the discretion of your Manager to actually put you on contract. So depending on whether or not he met his new hire quota for the year he will "allow" you to go on contract. This will not be disclosed to you. Some have to wait a full six months to go on contract depending on when they passed their Series 7 Exam, even if your 3,000 PC 15 app requirement is met. For example, if you passed the series 7 in July and your manager has met his new hire quota, then he will want you to wait until January of the next year. Ask for a contract date in writing contigent on meeting your goal.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – It was non negotiable.

Advisor Interview

Columbia, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at AXA Advisors in March 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call back in a timely fashion. Interview went very smoothly about 45 minutes with the hiring manager. The office is rated #1 among the company in the US and seemed very nice. Managers and workers all very friendly. Ask a lot of questions about the company and you'll be fine.

Interview Question – Where do you expect to get most of your clients?   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AXA Advisors in January 2009.

Interview Details – Orientation comes first, where the EVP will promise a six-figure income. Then there are 4 more interviews, which are more like sales presentations for the position. Don't worry about the interview process, it's more like you're interviewing them. No college degree or experience required.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable selling insurance to your friends and family?   View Answer
  • How did you hear about the position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

RBG Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at AXA Advisors in October 2010.

Interview Details – All behavioral/fit questions. Very easy overall.

Know a little about the company, but not too much worry about.

They'll ask you more questions about yourself.

Interview Question – What challenges have you faced?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Job was not a good fit. Basically all commission based and selling 403(b)'s. There are some great write ups on why working for this company is not ideal.

Lake Success, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at AXA Advisors in October 2010.

Interview Details – I first spoke with a recruiter who set me up on the interview. I met with a senior level executive to discuss becoming a FA. he was very good at explaining what would be expected of the FA role/

Interview Question – tell us about a time you went on a sales call and met resistance   View Answer

Reason for Declining – base pay is very low, long hours leading up to your licenses. you pay everything and get reimbursed for 90%
they basically expect you to bring a book of contacts or else.. I wasn't comfortable taking the position

Marketing Assistant Interview

The process took 5 days - interviewed at AXA Advisors in May 2010.

Interview Details – I spoke briefly with the current Marketing Assistant and then was called for an interview a few days later. The interview went great - but this is a small branch. They are not looking to hire anyone who is planning on upward mobility. Also, it turns out the job is not so much marketing assistant, as your typical customer service rep, handling the calls and tracking paperwork. I had all the experience for his position, but in the end, the salary was too low for not seeming to provide tremendous resume/career benefits. Very nice office and group of people, though. They asked a lot of questions that reveal personality: "At the end of a long day, how do you relax?" and "Tell us something we won't know now, but could be surprised about in 6 months?" or something like that. Other than that, they wanted to know what kind of other jobs I had been looking at, skills, assets, things I need to work on, etc...

Interview Question – "Tell us something we might be surprised to find out about you in 6 months?"   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AXA Advisors in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied to the position through my university's career website. In the first interview, I met with the leader of the financial advisor team that I would potentially be a part of. The interviewee was young, relax and easy to talk to. He explained that the position had a high failure rate and that a successful candidate must possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to prevail through failure. After assuring him that I possessed both of these traits, he immediately asked me to come back for a second interview.

In the second interview, an executive joined the original interviewee in conducting a series of more direct questions that pertained to the selling aspects of the position. Like the first interview, though, the atmosphere was very relaxed. At the end of their questioning--which took no longer than 15 minutes and could have been regarded as a conversation--they open the floor for me to ask particular questions about the position and the company. I asked a lot of pertinent, in-depth questions that impressed the executive and as a result, I was invited back for a third and final interview.

Before going into my third interview, I was told to structure a client base. I put a lot of thought into the question and came into the interview with a prepared presentation. During the interview, I met only with the executive. A minute into presenting my client base to the executive, he stopped me and said that it was good and that he would like to offer me a position. From there, he spelled out the pre-contract and contract phases of employment. After a week of contemplating the offer, I declined.

Interview Question – Please come up with a tentative client base that you like would be successful for you   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The position was too sales-oriented for me

Advisor Interview

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at AXA Advisors in October 2009.

Interview Details – Questions were pretty typical - strengths/weakness, why you would be a good fit...They are looking for outgoing people that would be good at sales

Interview Question – Why would you be a good fit for AXA?   Answer Question