AbbVie Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014
Updated Sep 18, 2014

3.1

Commercial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at AbbVie.

There were 5 steps, one to one, followed by a panel interview, then a numerical and verbal reasoning test. Interview with Departmental Director, finally an interview with product director. The offer then followed a few weeks later

Interview Questions
    • What motivated my to buy a pushbike when I was 15?   View Answer

Senior Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at AbbVie in July 2014.

Applied through a recruiter and was invited to a phone interview within a week of applying online.

Phone interview was 30 min long, nothing unexpected, done by the hiring manager and an associate in his lab. They provided a quick description of the job and what they were looking for followed by a number of questions regarding my technical lab experience and background.

About 3 days after the phone interview the invitation for the onsite arrived. Scheduling went well and they put me up in a hotel across the street from their Worcester, MA site. The day began with a 60min talk about my research followed by about 10 interviews with people of various grades. Most of the junior staff were done in pairs for 30-60min, while the senior people interviewed alone but were shorter (20-30min). Questions typically centered on my talk and then expanded to why I wanted the positions. I found the junior employees were much more interested in asking me technical questions where as more senior people wanted to know more about my background and interests. Questions were difficult but always fair.

After interviewing I followed up with a thank your email and asked for any feedback they were willing to give me. I received their response about 2-3 days later with some helpful feedback as to why they did not believe I was an ideal person for the position. Overall a very fair and educational experience, too bad it didn't work out.

Interview Questions
    • My research background was quite different from the models and systems they were studying at this site, and thus questions regarding how my background could contribute to what they were doing were not unexpected but difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Medical Writer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AbbVie.

After two phone interviews, I had one on-site interview that consisted of two one-hour group interviews (3 people each time). Each person was designated specific behavioral interviewing questions they had to ask. They all wrote down my answers describing each situation, action, and result. They also gave me the opportunity to ask them questions at the end.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zagreb (Croatia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zagreb (Croatia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AbbVie in November 2013.

Scheduling of the interviews one day beforehand.
    Rescheduling of the interview last minute, interviewers were not being punctual and on time.
    Interviewer asked me why he does not know me, as we used to work in previous company together.
    Unusual questions and straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think about jewish style of compensation?
      Sell yourself, why would we hire you?
      What would your friends tell about you?
      Why do you look down left when you are looking for an answer?
        View Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AbbVie in June 2012.

Hiring process is normally standard. If the hiring manager likes you, you are through. Not much background vetting is done in the interview process. Depending on the interview, they may give you some situation analysis questions; you will have to demonstrate background and experience by providing some examples.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary with respect to job profile   Answer Question
    They offered and I accepted. Lesson learnt to negotiate harder first time :-)

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AbbVie in May 2014.

The initial process was very quick. I was contacted for a phone interview swiftly and spoke with two of the hiring supervisors within two weeks of application. I was then selected for an in person interview and that process dragged on longer than expected. When I did finally meet with the hiring supervisor the interview went very well and I was highly impressed with the interview.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any question that was unexpected. It was more of a conversation.   Answer Question

The hiring supervisor was pretty clear what the job was going to be and it ended up not being the job that I wanted.

Marketing Research Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AbbVie in March 2013.

Interviewed with 4 directors (marketing, analytics and 2 research directors). Spent about 1 hour with each and much of the interviews revolved around past experience and achievements. It was clear that the people I spoke to were interested in finding someone with a broad range of research experience. Key tip for anyone interviewing in 2014: there's a movement toward hiring people with CPG experience at AbbVie. They would prefer to hire creative thinkers and people with world-class marketing experience.

Interview Questions
    • None - I was expecting interviewers to grill me on the fact that I lacked any scientific experience. Wasn't a concern and hasn't been an issue during my first year.   Answer Question
    My recruiter recommended that I not negotiate as AbbVie has a reputation for standing firm on their initial offer. I got an extra $3k, which isn't much, but I wouldn't shy away from asking for a salary that's slightly above what they've offered.

Business Intelligence Lead/Operations BI Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AbbVie in April 2013.

I drove 60 miles in heavy rainstorm to talk to them and they don't even have the professional curtsy to tell me what their decision is. Its been more than a month and they have not even told me if they want to move forward or not. So little regard for all my efforts.

The interview went well and the hiring manager asked me to sort the salary with HR and start asap, but the stupid HR lady never reached back to me to negotiate a salary. She never even replied to my emails and phone calls. What a waste.

General Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AbbVie.

Questions were not particularly difficult, however were repeated between interviewers. Whole experience was disorganized for such a senior position. Post-interview follow-up was non-existent and required several calls.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not particularly difficult, however were repeated between interviewers.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at AbbVie.

The process was very swift and quick. There was single interview and hiring decision took few days. The organization is very agile and lean in the process. This is very young organization, the processes are still flexible.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. The questions were more technical and also making sure that I am result oriented and team player.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was simple quick two days, standard negotiation.