AbbVie Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015

Middle Management Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AbbVie.

I applied on-line about a million times but it wasn't until I found a personal third party connection with the hiring manager before I got any traction at all.

After contacting them directly, I finally had a phone interview about 4 weeks later. Again after several follow up emails. The phone interview went quite well, I really enjoyed it to be honest and was impressed with the hiring manager. I was asked to come in for in person interviews.

These again took several weeks to schedule and then the people I was to meet with was changing up to the NIGHT BEFORE! Fortunately I had read another review and was very intentional about asking for directions to buildings on the campus and gave myself plenty of extra time. That was needed to check in to security, get my badge and then drive to the first building to meet the hiring manager.

That first meeting with the hiring manager went very well. They asked me to work on an exercise that they gave me and we discussed it after I presented it. Again my perception was that things had gone well, the chemistry was positive and we were moving forward.

Next came the HR interview. Aside from wasting about a half hour of my life reviewing details in my resume, it went fine. We eventually got to the timing, salary and if I was pursuing other opportunities. Again no apparent problems or concerns just confirmation that HR was as useless here as in any other large organization I have worked at.

Then they sent me off to another building to meet the hiring manager's boss and the wheels just fell off from there. She was late. She had just gotten back from vacation. She was new to her role. She didn't appear to have read my resume. We began with the "tell me about yourself" and then proceeded to get drilled about why I had an interest in this field, how would I address credibility with the teams I was serving, etc. The sirens were going off and I did my best to pull something out of the nuke that just had hit me. No avail--besides keeping them another 15 minutes with questions, I felt it was effectively over after the first 5 minutes.

I went ahead and sent out email thank yous that day wondering if the hiring manager would want to use up her political capital to keep me in play (BTW no one gave me their business cards even though I asked for them). The only response back was from the hiring manager's boss! Talk about mixed signals.

I waited a whole additional week and finally sent an email to the hiring manager asking them for a status. I wanted another 5 days or so before I got a note back saying the were proceeding with another candidate but if I wanted, I could get in touch with them. No dice on that either. After both an email and phone message I figure that I just am not going to get any utility out of pursuing feedback.

Hope this helps--good luck.

Interview Questions
    • How I would address credibility with the teams I would be serving.   View Answer

Science Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AbbVie.

One interview with supervisor - relatively straightforward. Within two weeks offer was made. Ultimately turned down for a different opportunity, but I had a very positive experience with this company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself, past experiences, what questions you have   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Phone interview. Discussed general job duties, my background experience and several behavioral based questions specific to the position. I.e. dealing with deadlines, working with difficult situations and/or groups, etc. Briefly discussed next steps with offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle meeting tight deadlines on multiple projects?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AbbVie in January 2011.

4 Interviews with HR, Hiring Manager, Another Finance Manger and Controller. The interviewers used the STAR method. Applicant should know their resume and be able to provide examples of the projects listed and how they were involved in the projects. Applicant should personalize their examples based on the position they are applying for.

Interview Questions
    • Average Finance Questions on technical ability and results of projects that I lead or were part of the team.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AbbVie in March 2014.

University relations HR contacted me with details about the hiring manager. My interview with the hiring manager was very casual and informal. He asked me about my ongoing projects and explained what they had in mind for an intern. He was essentially making sure that I knew what i was getting myself into since it was a different type of science than what I am used to otherwise.

MSL Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AbbVie.

After a first phone interview I got invited for an interview. The interview consisted of a first part with HR where I got a lot of information regarding the company and a second part with the line manager. Very friendly and professional people. Unfortunately I didn't get invited for a second round, but overall it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Have you been confronted with opposition and how did you react?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukegan, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukegan, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AbbVie in November 2013.

send your personal documentation like CV or rec-letters. Then will be a phone interview.They will ask every detail from your CV. So make sure you familiar every detail on your CV. No tricks.

I did not negotiate

Marketing Project Manager Interview

Very Standard process. They ask the basic interview questions. I met with 3 managers and an HR person. Took them about a week to give me an offer. I thought the offer was good but after I got hired I found out that a lot of people on my level were making a lot more money than I was.

No negotiation

Commercial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at AbbVie.

There were 5 steps, one to one, followed by a panel interview, then a numerical and verbal reasoning test. Interview with Departmental Director, finally an interview with product director. The offer then followed a few weeks later

Interview Questions
    • What motivated my to buy a pushbike when I was 15?   View Answer

Senior IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AbbVie.

I was initially contacted by Recruiter and she setup meeting with Hiring manager. Hiring manager contacted me after a week and he was late to the meeting. In the remaining time we had, we spoke about the role and how I could help his problems and build processes and capability. Waited for 3 weeks to set up one day face to face interview with 4 people. Again waited 2 weeks to get a call from Abbvie that I have been selected for next round. Waited again for 2 weeks to schedule final interview. Met with the VP and same folks again whom I had met in the first face to face. Waited again for 2 more weeks and I notified the recruiter about my displeasure in communications and how Abbvie which is trying to break free from Abbott is still very much a slow moving organization. I accepted another offer which was way better than Abbvie.

Very slow in making decisions