Abbott Labs

Abbott Labs Interview Questions

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Abbott Labs.

There was a total of 4 interviews with the fifth one being the determining one with the presentation I had to give and all the questions were behavioral. The interviewer was very friendly and easy to talk to and what she was saying matched the positive notes of what others had said on here. She avoided the negative :)

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if there was a member of my team that wasn't working well what would I do? I said I'd have a talk with them and if they still weren't cooperating I would either do the job myself or outsource the services until i could figure out what was going on.

This is the thing, in Sweden if someone is under permanent employment (ie over 6 months employment and has been offered a permanent contract) then it is very difficult to fire them. Even if I could fire said person I would first figure out why they were acting this way before taking action so it was obvious she didn't like my reply out I would outsource until further notice but I did not explain the legal procedure either.

The interviewer did not know how to use Google Calendar either. She booked an appointment and everything was done via phone up until that point since she was calling me from the US to Sweden but she put a location in Sweden at the time so I thought she had moved up the face to face interview and to top it off she had asked for a PowerPoint presentation the day before and on 3 different topics so as you can imagine, I didn't sleep that night. I ran over the next day to the location and no one was there. I panicked and called her but no answer. She called me 15 minutes after to say it was just a phone interview and quickly changed that on the calendar as soon as we closed the phone. She did apologize for the mishap and since she did have a previous issue with Google it wasn't an issue.

She ended the conversation with her saying, ''I look forward to meeting you next week'', and was awfully friendly. Two days later she emailed me canceling the final interview and said I didn't have the technical or clinical experience. I would have appreciated some real feedback as opposed to the generic answer just to see if I could improve.
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Abbott Labs in October 2014.

I submitted my resume at a Career Fair of a professional Conference. I received an interview slot for the following morning as an on-site interview. The interview was in typical behavioral STAR form. It was about 30 minutes long, and my interviewer was personable. I was told to also apply online in addition to completing the in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you had to bend the rules.   Answer Question

Associate Scientist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Abbott Labs.

My resume was internally passed onto to the employer by a contact of mine currently working in Abbott Diagnostics. I had an informal phone interview followed by an on-site interview. I had two back to back interviews with a 1) a group of the senior associate scientists and 2) the supervisors of the position. The team was extremely warm and not intimidating. I came in very prepared with a portfolio of my research experiences and they were impressed with it right from the start. The key was just being yourself. Abbott is looking to hire people not qualifications. The interviewer came right out and said they were looking for someone whose personality would fit into the team. I was asked some technical questions because this is a scientist job, but I had prepared for those and was not caught off guard by them. It is important to know your resume; they want to see that you actually did all the experiences you wrote about.

One point of advice: Abbott park is very big and complicated. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to find the building. I got to Abbott park an hour before my interview and that was the perfect amount of time because I did end up getting lost a few times trying to find the building.

Some questions they really appreciated were:
    1) What does a successful year in the position look like?
    2) What brought you to Abbott and why have you stayed for so many years?

Both questions got the interviewers really excited and ended the interview on a really positive note.

They take a while to get back to you. I was told they would get back to me in a week but did not hear from them until 2.5 weeks later. I emailed the team at around 2 weeks to follow-up and see if they required references and then the next day received a phone call I had been offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you were in a conflict with a superior at work and how you handled it?
      Talk about a time when you changed a process or practice at work and how you persuaded others to follow?
      What is the most important quality a scientist should have?
        View Answer

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Abbott Labs in June 2013.

The process involved recruiter interaction between me and the hiring manager. (The resume better be outstanding and true.) The recruiter asked all of the relevant questions pertaining to hiring a maintenance technician / mechanic and passed the information on to the manager. Once hired, the supervisor/lead gave me a safety briefing and walk through. I was then tested on various tasks and skills such as LOTO procedures, familiarity with shop equipment, and use of test equipment. With my experience depicted on my resume. The process was relatively simple. I was able to display my skills on the first day of work since I was able to repair a down production line by troubleshooting the problem to the component in a short amount of time.
    My advice to any applicant is to be honest. You better be able to back up what you say or what is written on your resume.

I requested an amount and got it. Should I have asked for a little more? Maybe. Would that have negatively affected my chances of getting hired? Maybe. I feel that I was fair and got treated fairly.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Abbott Labs.

I applied online through their website. After 10 days, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was asked questions related to the skill set required for the job primarily in C++. After a month, I had onsite interview with four of the employees. I was skeptical that they would fly me down as the interview schedule showed only one hour duration. HR confirmed it was just a convenient way to have me meet with multiple people in a shorter amount of time. Most of the interview was conducted by only one software engineer. A senior manager primarily acted as a time keeper. I had 5 mins to ask any questions.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Abbott Labs in October 2010.

Hired after top candidate did not pass RM interview. Phone screen, several interviews with District Manager and one other DM, then RM interview (1). Follow up was key and is why I was selected over 2 other candidates whom had MBA. Be hungry.

Interview Questions
    The base salary and bonus were set prior to the interviews.

Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abbott Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abbott Park, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Abbott Labs.

Got called by recruiter and went to the interview and answered various questions about my history.Talked to the trainer for the position, had a long discussion about my work experience and the specifics of the position and what the day to day related tasks would be for this position, was specified that it was only a contract opportunity. The trainer was really good at explaining the day to day tasks and what work had to be completed, provided a lot of information and worked with me for the work that had to be completed when the job started.

Interview Questions
    • What experience you have concerning the job you are applying for?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

two interviews, one with manager, another is tech interview. then the HR connected me to tell me the offer, then i have to sign a lot of forms and take a test. just talked about your experience, not asked the tech problems.

Territory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lucknow (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lucknow (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Abbott Labs in August 2014.

very clear. 1st online screening, 2nd written objective type, interview by bussiness manager after this much screening there is telephonic interview by business hr and recruiting hr and document verification and then medical is done, if every thing goes right on the track then you are selected

yes, they will give you 20% growth above then how you negotiate

Information Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Abbott Labs.

You may first interview with a Personnel vendor such as; Manpower. Once interviewed with the direct company you will have a chance to tour the facility. Meet and greet other employee staff members then the talk about your experience etc all relevant.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years   View Answer