Abbott Labs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Carlsbad, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in May 2012.

Interview Details – Initial HR phone screening interview with standard experience questions: you'll go through your resume and ensure you meet the minimum qualifications per the job description. If you do not fit the job description to a tee, you will not pass this step--i.e. if it requires a PhD and you have a MS + 20 years of research experience you still will not pass.

Interview day: depending on your anticipated role, you may or may not be asked to give a research talk (45 min. presentation, 15 min Q&A). You will be notified of this well in advance.

You will meet with 4-5 individual interviewers during the day. No group interviews will be held (from what I know). The panel selected will certainly include your direct supervisor, most likely his/her superior, and one or two members of varying rank in the research group. Everyone will ask questions about your research experience. Some may be more technical than others. Some will stick mostly to culture questions/ask you things to get a better feel for your personality. Just be yourself! The interviews were very relaxed and the people here are extremely friendly. Everyone seems to want to know you as a person first--your skills and experience they can tell more readily through your education, work experience and job references, and seem to be less of a concern on interview day.

Good luck! Abbott is a great company!!

Interview Question – Not that it was "difficult" per se, but as I was interviewing for a temporary position, I did not anticipate being asked about my "5 year plan" for my future. I felt I stumbled here, but was honest in that I did not look that far ahead due to the nature of the position, and said that my hope was that the contract would be converted into a full-time hire.   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern

Interviewed at Abbott Labs

Interview Details – Submitted my resume at a University Career Fair. Was contacted a week later to have an on campus interview with a director and manager. Mostly behavioral questions and very laid back. The interviewers emphasized that they wanted to make sure I was a good fit for Abbott, and Abbott was a good fit for me, which was nice.

Interview Question – In ten years time at Abbott, what are three things you would have hoped to accomplished   Answer Question

Technical Specialist Interview

Technical Specialist
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Abbott Labs in August 2009.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview followed up with a face to face interview which taken the entire day. I was interviewed by several people. After two weeks of the interview process, I was hired.

Interview Question – What are your strenghts and weakness? How do you manage difficult people?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was much more than I expected.

Manufacturing Intern Interview

Manufacturing Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs in January 2013.

Interview Details – Behavioral based interviewing. Use STAR format to answer questions.

SAP Apo Interview

SAP Apo

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs.

Interview Details – Phone.
In person

Negotiation Details – They try to negotiate but I told them I told them my expectations and they have to accept in the end

Very Easy Interview

Process Engineer (COOP) Interview

Process Engineer (COOP)
Barceloneta, PR

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Abbott Labs.

Interview Details – First I got a phone interview, then a one on one interview. The questions were very basic and some of the questions were behavioral questions.

Interview Question – 7. Give me an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult situation and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Abbott Labs in February 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process was phone screen, f2f with Regional Manager. Compared to similar companies, Interview was very unstructured and very easy. RM was very "old school" and didn't seem to even care as long as he filled open positions. Total interview time for f2f was less than half hour.

Interview Question – Why did you get laid off at last company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they started low, I negotiated up $10k on salary.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

Interviewed at Abbott Labs

Interview Details – friendly interview, no real hardball questions but do know the industry and role.
Logisitcs are a pain (getting the interview) and also hearing back from them

Negotiation Details – slow

Development Program Interview

Development Program
Abbott Park, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was a summer intern who was about to graduate, and I knew that I wanted to work at Abbott. So I applied for one of their development programs. The process was pretty straightforward because most of the time they draw on their intern pool for their development programs; I simply received an email from an HR rep and said that I wanted to interview. The interview was timed to take place when all the interns who were interviewing would be at HQ for Intern Week. We interviewed in small groups with a 3 different managers/directors and the questions were all pretty basic behavioral questions. However, you're under the radar the entire time you're there; they have an HR person watching you in the waiting room and during Intern Week there are activities in which they seem to be watching and observing you and how you interact with others.

Interview Question – - Tell me about a time in which you had to lead a complex project. What made that project difficult? What were your results?   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Statistician
Irving, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs in May 2013.

Interview Details – One person interviewed me on the phone. After a week he called me for face to face interview. Four people, one person on conference interviewed me. They asked me many questions about Base SAS and some statistics questions. They went through my resume and asked me about the projects I did. They asked me if I have a plan to continue my education. They ask specific SAS questions; SAS functions, macro, some data step and proc step questions.

Interview Question – I don't remember specific questions but someone with SAS certificate will get the job for sure.   Answer Question