Abbott Labs Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Atlanta, GA) in August 2012.

Interview

Had a couple of brief phone interviews and the a face-to-face. It was a behavioral interview with two interviewers. I felt the in-person interview was poorly paced; they rushed me through answers that required a bit of explanation and seemed to be looking for more to questions that seemed simple (and ridiculous).

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were able to personally capitalize on a situation at work.   2 Answers

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Camden, NJ).

Interview

Phone call, then face-to-face, then offer. All done by hiring DM. The people have all changed, so I'm not sure the value of this information at this point.

Comparing Abbott to Janssen: I had some great managers at both companies. I felt that the Janssen DMs were very consistent--you pretty much knew what you were going to get. There wasn't much variation. However, Abbott had some great DMs and some very weak management. Unfortunately because of relatively frequent re-organizations, you couldn't be sure which one was coming next.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember if any question caught me off guard. My hiring manager was more interested in checking personality mesh with himself. The regional manager suprised me, because he was the rubber stamp that I had grown used to in the pharma sales interview process, he didn't act like he was in favor of hiring you. He had a very good poker-face. that regional manager later became my DM and was one of the best bosses I ever worked for in corporate america.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I moved from a management capacity to take this job, so they matched my base.

Senior IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Abbott Labs (North Chicago, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

Way to stretched and several weeks and then eternal wait to hear Y/N. It baffles me that dozen people scrutinize you and end up spending several weeks and nothing comes out of it. In the meantime you also lose other opportunities. It is puzzling.

Interview Questions

• Not much of difficulty just have relevant skills and be balanced.   Answer Question

Dstrict Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2012.

Interview

Begins with a 30 minute phone screen by recruiter. Selected candidates then interview with Regional manager via phone for 30-45 minutes. 3-5 candidates advance to live interview with Regional Manager- typically 1-2 hours. May also include a panel interview with 2-3 other Regional Managers. Final 1-2 candidates receive a 1 hour interview with Regional manager before final offer is made.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important business risk if you have taken?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Carlsbad, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Initial HR phone screening interview with standard experience questions: you'll go through your resume and ensure you meet the minimum qualifications per the job description. If you do not fit the job description to a tee, you will not pass this step--i.e. if it requires a PhD and you have a MS + 20 years of research experience you still will not pass.

Interview day: depending on your anticipated role, you may or may not be asked to give a research talk (45 min. presentation, 15 min Q&A). You will be notified of this well in advance.

You will meet with 4-5 individual interviewers during the day. No group interviews will be held (from what I know). The panel selected will certainly include your direct supervisor, most likely his/her superior, and one or two members of varying rank in the research group. Everyone will ask questions about your research experience. Some may be more technical than others. Some will stick mostly to culture questions/ask you things to get a better feel for your personality. Just be yourself! The interviews were very relaxed and the people here are extremely friendly. Everyone seems to want to know you as a person first--your skills and experience they can tell more readily through your education, work experience and job references, and seem to be less of a concern on interview day.

Good luck! Abbott is a great company!!

Interview Questions

• Not that it was "difficult" per se, but as I was interviewing for a temporary position, I did not anticipate being asked about my "5 year plan" for my future. I felt I stumbled here, but was honest in that I did not look that far ahead due to the nature of the position, and said that my hope was that the contract would be converted into a full-time hire.   Answer Question

Accounting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abbott Park, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

It is best to start as a contractor when trying to get into the company. I worked for a contractor for eight months and they kept extending my contract. If you are a hard worker they will look out for jobs for you and try to get you in. Once a position opened up they encouraged me to apply and I did. I was then asked to interview in a group interview session with three people asking me question all who were going to be management. Within a week I received a phone call to let me know what the decision was.

Interview Questions

• What are your flaws or weak points? Who was your most difficult boss?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Always ask for something more. (That's what the HR representative told me to do)

IT Professional Development Program (ITPDP) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

I initial had a 1:1 interview at my college with a recruiter from Abbott, which consisted mainly of reviewing my resume and go more in depth with information on the position. Almost a month and a half later I was contacted again and participated in a quick phone interview which was really just a chance for the ITPDP Coordinator to get a better idea of my personality and history. Some of the questions included "Why do you want to work for Abbott Labs" and "What experience do you have that can contribute to this position?". After that I was scheduled for an on-site interview that was in the group/panel style with three leads in the program. There were a lot of behavioral questions, as well as some technical ones.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an instance where you had to learn a new technology in order to complete a project or assignment?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Four on one interview utilizing a white board to describe past projects.

Interview Questions

• Draw the UML diagram for the project you completed two years ago.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abbott Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

I originally interviewed in January 2012 and was told I was their top candidate. However, after 7 weeks the position was unfortunatelly cancelled. I decided to keep in touch with the recruiter and I was contacted again in May 2012 for a second interview for another position. I interviewed and I was offered the position. First interview in Jan was with 4 managers and the second interview was with 3 managers. 1 on 1 discussions for about an hour each. Managers were super friendly and very comforting. It was a nice, casual interview. No behavioral questions, no accounting/finance questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There really was no negotiations. I told them what I wanted and I received an offer which exceeded my expectations.

Global Command Center Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

This was a fourth in person interview, and second telephone interview. The first two interviews were with the original hiring manager, and the third interview was with the original hiring manager and his supervisor. Since the overall hiring process began in May of 2011, by January of 2012 when I attended the fourth and final interview the hiring manager had changed, and both the advertised (as well as originally discussed) work shift and salary had changed as well. The new hiring manager was an internal transfer, and did not appear to be comfortable either interviewing, or describing what his expectations were for the position.

Interview Questions

• Same behavioral questions as previously; describe a time you had a problem with a boss, what did you do, etc.   Answer Question

The offered salary, benefits and work schedule had shifted from the original posting.