Abbott Labs Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL).

Interview

Interview process was succint and informative. Very well-organized. I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy and short.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in October 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview and an in person interview. The phone interview was with the manager and the questions were pretty standard. We went over my resume and discussed how my qualifications/experience matched the position. About two weeks later, I was brought into the office for a telepresence interview with the person I spoke to for the phone interview as well as his manager. They talked a lot about the background of the division and the position description. The questions to me were similar to my phone interview--it seemed like the interview was mostly for the benefit of the manager's manager. Later that day, the manager called and offered me the job. I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all pretty typical. One question was about how I would communicate with members of the IT department. This was difficult only because I was confused as to how this would be any different than communicating with anyone else.   Answer Question

Cost Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

Started with an online application on the company's website and a call from the recruiter from Abbott on a 10-min screening about one or two weeks later. There was only one on-site (final) interview with 4 people (one by one). All behavioral questions in the on-site interview. The whole process took about a month.

Negotiation

No negotiation. They gave me what I want.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abbott Park, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in August 2012.

Interview

Phone screen. In-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for Abbott.   1 Answer

Poor company business forecast.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Atlanta, GA) in August 2012.

Interview

Had a couple of brief phone interviews and the a face-to-face. It was a behavioral interview with two interviewers. I felt the in-person interview was poorly paced; they rushed me through answers that required a bit of explanation and seemed to be looking for more to questions that seemed simple (and ridiculous).

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were able to personally capitalize on a situation at work.   2 Answers

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Camden, NJ).

Interview

Phone call, then face-to-face, then offer. All done by hiring DM. The people have all changed, so I'm not sure the value of this information at this point. Comparing Abbott to Janssen: I had some great managers at both companies. I felt that the Janssen DMs were very consistent--you pretty much knew what you were going to get. There wasn't much variation. However, Abbott had some great DMs and some very weak management. Unfortunately because of relatively frequent re-organizations, you couldn't be sure which one was coming next.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember if any question caught me off guard. My hiring manager was more interested in checking personality mesh with himself. The regional manager suprised me, because he was the rubber stamp that I had grown used to in the pharma sales interview process, he didn't act like he was in favor of hiring you. He had a very good poker-face. that regional manager later became my DM and was one of the best bosses I ever worked for in corporate america.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I moved from a management capacity to take this job, so they matched my base.

Senior IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (North Chicago, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

Way to stretched and several weeks and then eternal wait to hear Y/N. It baffles me that dozen people scrutinize you and end up spending several weeks and nothing comes out of it. In the meantime you also lose other opportunities. It is puzzling.

Interview Questions

• Not much of difficulty just have relevant skills and be balanced.   Answer Question

Dstrict Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2012.

Interview

Begins with a 30 minute phone screen by recruiter. Selected candidates then interview with Regional manager via phone for 30-45 minutes. 3-5 candidates advance to live interview with Regional Manager- typically 1-2 hours. May also include a panel interview with 2-3 other Regional Managers. Final 1-2 candidates receive a 1 hour interview with Regional manager before final offer is made.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important business risk if you have taken?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Carlsbad, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Initial HR phone screening interview with standard experience questions: you'll go through your resume and ensure you meet the minimum qualifications per the job description. If you do not fit the job description to a tee, you will not pass this step--i.e. if it requires a PhD and you have a MS + 20 years of research experience you still will not pass. Interview day: depending on your anticipated role, you may or may not be asked to give a research talk (45 min. presentation, 15 min Q&A). You will be notified of this well in advance. You will meet with 4-5 individual interviewers during the day. No group interviews will be held (from what I know). The panel selected will certainly include your direct supervisor, most likely his/her superior, and one or two members of varying rank in the research group. Everyone will ask questions about your research experience. Some may be more technical than others. Some will stick mostly to culture questions/ask you things to get a better feel for your personality. Just be yourself! The interviews were very relaxed and the people here are extremely friendly. Everyone seems to want to know you as a person first--your skills and experience they can tell more readily through your education, work experience and job references, and seem to be less of a concern on interview day. Good luck! Abbott is a great company!!

Interview Questions

• Not that it was "difficult" per se, but as I was interviewing for a temporary position, I did not anticipate being asked about my "5 year plan" for my future. I felt I stumbled here, but was honest in that I did not look that far ahead due to the nature of the position, and said that my hope was that the contract would be converted into a full-time hire.   Answer Question

IT Professional Development Program (ITPDP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abbott Park, IL

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Abbott Labs (Abbott Park, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

I initial had a 1:1 interview at my college with a recruiter from Abbott, which consisted mainly of reviewing my resume and go more in depth with information on the position. Almost a month and a half later I was contacted again and participated in a quick phone interview which was really just a chance for the ITPDP Coordinator to get a better idea of my personality and history. Some of the questions included "Why do you want to work for Abbott Labs" and "What experience do you have that can contribute to this position?". After that I was scheduled for an on-site interview that was in the group/panel style with three leads in the program. There were a lot of behavioral questions, as well as some technical ones.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an instance where you had to learn a new technology in order to complete a project or assignment?   Answer Question