Abbott Labs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Specialist Interview

Operations Specialist
Des Plaines, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Abbott Labs in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR a month after I had applied. They set up an HR phone interview and an on-site interview with the hiring manager. The HR phone interview consisted of the normal situational questions and why I want to work at Abbott, chose my major, etc. The on-site interview consisted of a one on one with the hiring manager who explained the technical aspects, and then a panel interview with peers of the position I was interviewing for who ask more situational/standard interview questions. I then was offered a final round interview with the head of the department. I haven't gone on this yet so we shall see.

Interview Questions

R&D Intern Interview

R&D Intern
Alameda, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Abbott Labs in November 2009.

Interview Details – I first talked to a recruiter at a career fair, and I applied online on my university's career center site that night. Within a few days, I received an email telling me that I had an interview. About two days before the interview, I received a call asking if I could do a phone interview (which I did the next night). The questions asked were more behavioral questions ("Name a time where you applied something you learned in one of your classes outside of class." or "Give an example of a time you took a risk, and why you took it.") After the phone interview, I was told that I was to be interviewed in person the next day on campus. This interview seemed quite casual. The interviewer did not ask me much of anything, and mainly explained to me about what Abbott was like as a company. I received a call about a month later telling me that I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Name an instance where you took a risk. Why did you take that risk?   Answer Question
  • Name an instance where there was a conflict in a group you were working in. How did you go about resolving this conflict?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. This was an internship program.

Manufacturing Associate Interview

Manufacturing Associate
Worcester, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in April 2008.

Interview Details – Lets face it. In the North people are not as nice to each other. I am okay with this most of the time but you don't usually run into this in an interview. The most senior person said something I was not sure how to take. He said, "I may not like you (my name) but could we work together?" To this day I am really not sure if that was an abstract question or not. When I met with a large number of supervisors one of them said in an accusatory tone, "Why are you wearing a suit?" I guess he thought I was trying to become his boss. In the face of such rudeness I could not help but tell him that if you ever interview in the south or the mid-atlantic even at my level you had better wear a suit or I guarantee you won't get the job. If you interview with them claim poverty and get them to come up with your travel arrangements. If you don't expect it to take a month or two to get reimbursed.

Interview Question – It was 2 years ago so I do not remember.   View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Abbott Park, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in January 2009.

Interview Details – Basic day interview then email offer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation or room for it.

Corporate Auditor Interview

Corporate Auditor
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in July 2009.

Interview Details – Plan to spend an entire day. Interview with three directors as well as at least four group members. The process consists only of 1x1 discussions, although that is managed by the STAR interviewing method. Interview personnel are objevtive and they get to the point. Everyone is very polite because that is the Abbott culture. Depending on the director you will be reporting to, the hiring decision may be made solely by that director or it may be made as a group consensus. Also depending on the situation, you may or may not get called back for a second interview - but you could get hired with just the single interview.

Interview Question – Describe your biggest failure and what you did about it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was provides a very attractive offer, so I did not feel any need to negotiate. The salary range is wide, however, and it is based on the experience you have with auditing FDA regulated facilities. Recent experience and more direct experience will command a higher salary.

Research Investigator Interview

Research Investigator
Princeton, NJ

The process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in August 2010.

Interview Details – several questions on the resume and research interests. Relocation consideration are also mentioned. First, a hr contacted me when i sent her resume, then a project manager gave me the phone interview

Interview Question – Do you want to relocate?   Answer Question

Director Public Affairs Interview

Director Public Affairs
North Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs in September 2009.

Interview Details – Be prepared for anything. Make sure you know something about the company and that you have at minimum looked at their website. Initially I had several phone interviews the the HR/Talent recruiter - who is actually contracted out. I had to prepare a written document and submit that prior to our phone interview. Then I had the initial phone interview (typical of most). The second phone interview consisted of Q & A. Then I had 1:1 interviews with staff in the department. It lasted about four hours. The last interview was with some senior department people. (It was down to three of us.)

Interview Question – Describe a situation that you define as a crises. What was your role? What was the outcome?   View Answer

District Business Manager Interview

District Business Manager
Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had 5 interviews all based on behaviorial questioning.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs in March 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by interview with District manager, then regional manager. THe phone interview was standard. THe decision falls on how the District manager feels about you. The regional manager just confirms.

They wanted to see my salary stub. You have to give them good reason to pay you more than what they offer. Be sure to close the interview and offer amount. Have a 'Brag book"

Interview Question – Why have you had more than one job in 6 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – room to negotiate. They wanted to see my salary stub. You have to give them good reason to pay you more than what they offer. Be sure to close the interview and offer amount.

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Worcester, MA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs in February 2008.

Interview Details – HR process was not very good - 6 months to respond to application and 5 week interview process yet only given 1 week to respond to offer! No time provided to allow for family to visit the new city or consider impact of doing an out-of-state relocation.

Interview Question – Is the data really significant - how will you know?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary did not meet my requirements.