Abbott Labs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in February 2010.

Interview Details – Set up interview: they left a voicemail, I called back to leave a voicemail, they called back to schedule the time

Phone interview: behavioral (they told us during scheduling). 30 minutes. Two people (HR & HR asst)

Tips: know why you chose your major, why you want the job (even though they did not ask me...), why Abbott (they did not ask me...), how you demonstrated leadership abilities, how you deal with conflict

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Worcester, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Abbott Labs in April 2010.

Interview Details – I first got a call from HR and they scheduled a time and date for the interview. I then had a telephonic conversation with the HR representative which lasted for around 30mins. It was a behavioural interview which comprised of normal questions like cite an example of leadership or tell us how you came up with your own idea of trouble shooting something or what sort of a position you are looking for. Then I got a call one week later to interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager did not ask me that many questions. He was friendly just wanted to know about my technical skills and what research projects i was working on. It was totally a technical interview. Then he said they will call me for an onsite but I have not heard back from them,

Interview Question – cite an example where you came up with something new or a solution.   Answer Question

Informatica Developer Interview

Informatica Developer
Waukegan, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in November 2009.

Interview Details – Had to take the day off for the interview. Started with medical test, skills test (computer aide multiple choice) for Oracle and Informatica, in-person interviews with 4 people (45 minutes each).
Recruiter took a week to get back. Was offered the job, accepted

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation at work and how you handled it   Answer Question
  • What would be the one thing you would change about your work? Have you done something about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Waukegan, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process for Abbott opportunities can be endless. I first received a call from Abbott HR for prescreening. She had went over the job posting description. I then tried to explained my professional experiences and tried to relate why I fit for the position. At the end of the call I was told to send 3 references and the next step would be onsite interview. It took well over 1.5 week to be called in for onsite itnerview.

Interview Question – When you are in a meeting, participants are not cooperating, what do you do to bring people back on track?   Answer Question

Product Development Interview

Product Development
Columbus, OH

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Abbott Labs in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter about the job opportunity. She seemed quite positive I was a good fit. I was notified a week later that they were interested in a phone interview with me. So I agreed to the phone interview. I was called a few times by the hiring manager to setup an initial phone meeting and everything was going well.

When it came time for the actual phone interview it seemed like he was a whole new person or just had a really bad day. He asked incredibly open ended questions that resulted with me confused as to what he was interested in me telling him consdering we only had 30 minutes. During the interview he was interupted TWICE and at length to the point where I had to stop. He came off as very unprofessional and uninterested in what I was talking about.

I immediately called the recruiter back and had her remove me from her candidate pool for this position. If he could not maintain a proper level of professionalism through a phone interview, I was not interested in experiencing what he would be like to work for.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   View Answer

Principal Systems Engineer Interview

Principal Systems Engineer
Irving, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Abbott Labs in February 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewd with 5 people over 2 days. Staff was very professional, asked many good questions and talked about the position and working with abbott. Some standard HR questions, weaknesses, strengths, tell me about confilct, tell me about projects, tell me about bending rules. Also, toured the facility, talked a little about benefits. The employees all seem to be very happy about working for Abbott and this location. Apparently it is a good site to build tenure and you have alot of lateral movement across divisions and projects so you will not get bored. There is career advancement potential and the benefits are fantastic.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to change direction half way through a project and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a manager that you had a hard time with and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Abbott Labs in July 2009.

Interview Details – Contacted via HR recruiter
Said that the only like to schedule 1 round of interviews, however I completed 2 rounds of interviews on 2 separate days plus a subsequent phone interview
Behavioral/situational based interview questions that each interviewer selects from (probably provided by the HR organization)

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which the end result was not positive and what was the end result?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Finance
Abbott Park, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in October 2009.

Interview Details – I was initially introduced to the company through a presentation they gave in an accounting club I was involved with. After that, they also donated scholarship money to the club, which I was one of the receipients of. I got to know one of the managers there who took a proactive approach in trying to get to know the students and expose them to Abbott.

after that, during fall recruiting, I was accepted for the interview. The structure of their interview consisted of two management level executives interviewing you. One was more involved in the intern/FPDP program, while the other focused more on the operations of the business as a whole on the financial side. Their interview was very standard in the questions they would ask, such as work experience and such. What I found peculiar was their strong focus on asking me about my failures/a-time-I-was-uncomfortable, which threw me off track a bit, making me deliver less than satisfactory answers.

Interview Question – Describe a time you initially started something that didn't turn out the way you expected, making you change your approach mid-way through?   Answer Question

Market Research Manager Interview

Market Research Manager
Abbott Park, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Abbott Labs in April 2007.

Interview Details – Fairly standard interview process with three individuals. Mostly focussed on past accomplishments, future goals, and the interviewers going on to describe the project direction and their expectations from the new positions. Over all easy interview I would say.

Interview Question – Describe an accomplishment that you are most proud of?   Answer Question

Medical Director Interview

Medical Director
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Abbott Labs in November 2007.

Interview Details – Initially got referred through a recruiter. The set up for the interview went very well. Abbott coordinated my flight, hotel, and transportation without any problems. My initial conversation with HR at the beginning of the interview day was not pressured in terms of finding out what my salary requirements were, which I appreciated. They had sent me the benefits package prior to my going to Abbot and were able to answer any questions I had. I was put in a room, and each interviewer came to see me. Each interviewer was very engaged in their discussions with me and very forthright in what they were looking for. The people I interacted with were nice and seemed to enjoy working at Abbott. I did get the sense that the decision-making was top-down and that movement "up the ladder" wasn't very common. The work culture appeared to be respectful.

Interview Question – Can you describe a situation in which a team member did not appear to be doing their job well, and describe what you did?   Answer Question