Abbott Labs

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Abbott Labs in February 2010.

Set up interview: they left a voicemail, I called back to leave a voicemail, they called back to schedule the time

Phone interview: behavioral (they told us during scheduling). 30 minutes. Two people (HR & HR asst)

Tips: know why you chose your major, why you want the job (even though they did not ask me...), why Abbott (they did not ask me...), how you demonstrated leadership abilities, how you deal with conflict

Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

The process took a weekinterviewed at Abbott Labs in January 2010.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter about the job opportunity. She seemed quite positive I was a good fit. I was notified a week later that they were interested in a phone interview with me. So I agreed to the phone interview. I was called a few times by the hiring manager to setup an initial phone meeting and everything was going well.

When it came time for the actual phone interview it seemed like he was a whole new person or just had a really bad day. He asked incredibly open ended questions that resulted with me confused as to what he was interested in me telling him consdering we only had 30 minutes. During the interview he was interupted TWICE and at length to the point where I had to stop. He came off as very unprofessional and uninterested in what I was talking about.

I immediately called the recruiter back and had her remove me from her candidate pool for this position. If he could not maintain a proper level of professionalism through a phone interview, I was not interested in experiencing what he would be like to work for.

Informatica Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukegan, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukegan, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Abbott Labs in November 2009.

Had to take the day off for the interview. Started with medical test, skills test (computer aide multiple choice) for Oracle and Informatica, in-person interviews with 4 people (45 minutes each).
    Recruiter took a week to get back. Was offered the job, accepted

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenging situation at work and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • What would be the one thing you would change about your work? Have you done something about it?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate

R&D Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Abbott Labs in November 2009.

I first talked to a recruiter at a career fair, and I applied online on my university's career center site that night. Within a few days, I received an email telling me that I had an interview. About two days before the interview, I received a call asking if I could do a phone interview (which I did the next night). The questions asked were more behavioral questions ("Name a time where you applied something you learned in one of your classes outside of class." or "Give an example of a time you took a risk, and why you took it.") After the phone interview, I was told that I was to be interviewed in person the next day on campus. This interview seemed quite casual. The interviewer did not ask me much of anything, and mainly explained to me about what Abbott was like as a company. I received a call about a month later telling me that I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Name an instance where you took a risk. Why did you take that risk?   Answer Question
    • Name an instance where there was a conflict in a group you were working in. How did you go about resolving this conflict?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. This was an internship program.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abbott Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abbott Park, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Abbott Labs in October 2009.

I was initially introduced to the company through a presentation they gave in an accounting club I was involved with. After that, they also donated scholarship money to the club, which I was one of the receipients of. I got to know one of the managers there who took a proactive approach in trying to get to know the students and expose them to Abbott.

after that, during fall recruiting, I was accepted for the interview. The structure of their interview consisted of two management level executives interviewing you. One was more involved in the intern/FPDP program, while the other focused more on the operations of the business as a whole on the financial side. Their interview was very standard in the questions they would ask, such as work experience and such. What I found peculiar was their strong focus on asking me about my failures/a-time-I-was-uncomfortable, which threw me off track a bit, making me deliver less than satisfactory answers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you initially started something that didn't turn out the way you expected, making you change your approach mid-way through?   Answer Question

Director Public Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Abbott Labs in September 2009.

Be prepared for anything. Make sure you know something about the company and that you have at minimum looked at their website. Initially I had several phone interviews the the HR/Talent recruiter - who is actually contracted out. I had to prepare a written document and submit that prior to our phone interview. Then I had the initial phone interview (typical of most). The second phone interview consisted of Q & A. Then I had 1:1 interviews with staff in the department. It lasted about four hours. The last interview was with some senior department people. (It was down to three of us.)

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation that you define as a crises. What was your role? What was the outcome?   View Answer

Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Abbott Labs in August 2009.

First there was a phone interview followed up with a face to face interview which taken the entire day. I was interviewed by several people. After two weeks of the interview process, I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strenghts and weakness? How do you manage difficult people?   Answer Question
    The offer was much more than I expected.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Abbott Labs in July 2009.

Contacted via HR recruiter
    Said that the only like to schedule 1 round of interviews, however I completed 2 rounds of interviews on 2 separate days plus a subsequent phone interview
    Behavioral/situational based interview questions that each interviewer selects from (probably provided by the HR organization)

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which the end result was not positive and what was the end result?   Answer Question

Corporate Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Abbott Labs in July 2009.

Plan to spend an entire day. Interview with three directors as well as at least four group members. The process consists only of 1x1 discussions, although that is managed by the STAR interviewing method. Interview personnel are objevtive and they get to the point. Everyone is very polite because that is the Abbott culture. Depending on the director you will be reporting to, the hiring decision may be made solely by that director or it may be made as a group consensus. Also depending on the situation, you may or may not get called back for a second interview - but you could get hired with just the single interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your biggest failure and what you did about it.   View Answer
    I was provides a very attractive offer, so I did not feel any need to negotiate. The salary range is wide, however, and it is based on the experience you have with auditing FDA regulated facilities. Recent experience and more direct experience will command a higher salary.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Abbott Labs in April 2009.

SMART interview questions to experiences. How did you handle a time when you disagreed with your manager. How did you acheive your biggest success. how did you handle your peers. what would your friends say about you

none. no negotiation