Abebooks Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2014
Updated Aug 19, 2014

3.6

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Abebooks.

Had a phone interview followed by a typing test. Than met with 3 different groups of people over the course of 2.5 hours. I felt like it was excessive and ultimately poorly done. About 90% of the questions starting with "Tell me a time when...."

Interview Questions
    • Something along the lines of "Tell me a time when you were supervising a project and it failed." Considering I wasn't applying for a job that was managerial and considering my previous experience it seemed out of place.   View Answer

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Abebooks.

- Online Test (2hrs 4 questions)

- One phone Interview: Mostly behavior questions. One question about HashTable
    - Another phone Interview: All behavior questions. Some questions on previous projects.

- Onsite ( 4hrs, managers, seniors sde, hr, 4 rounds )
    - OO design, System design, detailed questions about previous projects (draw on whiteboard)
    - One coding question,
    - Some behavior questions

Interview Questions
    • The question on system design is tricky.   View Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Abebooks in March 2014.

1. 2 hours' online test -- 4 algorithm questions, asked to do in Java
    2. 1.5 hours' phone screening interview -- asked me about Hash table and a little about big data, it's the only technical question, only 30 mins technical, and it's hash table. Then I was asked all about behavior questions, like, have you made mistakes in the previous job, have somebody else convinced you bla bla, all this kind of stuff, lasted about 1 hour.
    3. I was asked to resubmit one of the 4 algo questions I did.
    4. 30 minutes' phone talk -- about the question I resubmitted. The interviewer asked me to explain my codes, which is awkward. It's simple and clear one, like 10 lines of codes. Anyway, they've been acting like hiring an HR.
    5. 1 hour's phone interview -- nothing technical, nothing at all. One hour behavior questions. Like before, mistakes, blabla, blablabla.
    6. 2 days later, the HR told me they cannot move forward with me.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected questions: about two hours' behavior questions.   View Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

I was called for a 1 hour phone screening.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked me questions about Hashmaps and how to combine hashmaps and lists together. I was also asked some behavioural questions about projects I worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Abebooks in December 2010.

interviewer asked me all about map datastructure:
     - Hashmap good design habits ,
     - what happens if 2 unequal objects but same hash code value
     - Arrays in hashmap cells

Interview Questions
    • - Hashmap good design habits ,
      - what happens if 2 unequal objects but same hash code value
        View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Abebooks in May 2010.

After a phone screen, I was given a 2 hour on line assignment in using Java, Maven 2 and Spring JDBC. They said they were "very impressed" with my solution.

They flew me into Victoria for a full day of interviews.

I met with the manager of technology and the manager of development. They seemed to be looking for an excuse to disqualify me as they saw me. They asked NO technical questions or questions about my experience. Instead I was asked to about my biggest mistakes, my conflicts at the workplace and times when I pushed too far at work. I never had a interview with technical people consist solely of getting me to talk of negative work experiences. However, I thought my answers were fine. This lasted about fifty minutes. Then they told me to leave. Even when asked, the head manager refused to give any explanation or apology. Racism? Ageism? Managerial incompetence? I can only guess, but certainly rude.

I had to sit around for 7 hours until my plane left.