Abebooks Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.7

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Abebooks.

Complex interview process. First, you sit down with 3 different interviewers and then they give you a logic test, which was hardly logical. You have to answer all sort of questions, from simple math problems to matching shapes while being timed.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time that you failed at something. Describe the situation and tell us about how you handled it?   Answer Question

Java Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Abebooks.

2hrs Technical Test- write codes for 4 problems given

1hr Phone Interview- Technical + Behavioral
    Overall was good experience. Interviewer was satisfied with answers, but later said they are looking for someone more close to the current requirements of role and didn't mention any reason to not continue ahead which was bit weird.

Interview Questions
    • Technical Test was tricky

Phone Interview Questions-
      1. About yourself
      2. About Past Projects
      3. Biggest Mistake made in life? and what did you learn?
      4. Biggest Challenge?
      5. Why do you like IT field?
      6. What attracts you to abebooks?
      7. HashMaps
      8. Collections
      9. Unix Commands
      10. Frameworks worked on?
      11. Brief about Spring n MVC
      12. Basic questions on E-commerce

Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Abebooks.

Had a phone interview followed by a typing test. Than met with 3 different groups of people over the course of 2.5 hours. I felt like it was excessive and ultimately poorly done. About 90% of the questions starting with "Tell me a time when...."

Interview Questions
    • Something along the lines of "Tell me a time when you were supervising a project and it failed." Considering I wasn't applying for a job that was managerial and considering my previous experience it seemed out of place.   View Answer

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Abebooks.

- Online Test (2hrs 4 questions)

- One phone Interview: Mostly behavior questions. One question about HashTable
    - Another phone Interview: All behavior questions. Some questions on previous projects.

- Onsite ( 4hrs, managers, seniors sde, hr, 4 rounds )
    - OO design, System design, detailed questions about previous projects (draw on whiteboard)
    - One coding question,
    - Some behavior questions

Interview Questions
    • The question on system design is tricky.   View Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Abebooks in March 2014.

1. 2 hours' online test -- 4 algorithm questions, asked to do in Java
    2. 1.5 hours' phone screening interview -- asked me about Hash table and a little about big data, it's the only technical question, only 30 mins technical, and it's hash table. Then I was asked all about behavior questions, like, have you made mistakes in the previous job, have somebody else convinced you bla bla, all this kind of stuff, lasted about 1 hour.
    3. I was asked to resubmit one of the 4 algo questions I did.
    4. 30 minutes' phone talk -- about the question I resubmitted. The interviewer asked me to explain my codes, which is awkward. It's simple and clear one, like 10 lines of codes. Anyway, they've been acting like hiring an HR.
    5. 1 hour's phone interview -- nothing technical, nothing at all. One hour behavior questions. Like before, mistakes, blabla, blablabla.
    6. 2 days later, the HR told me they cannot move forward with me.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected questions: about two hours' behavior questions.   View Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

I was called for a 1 hour phone screening.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked me questions about Hashmaps and how to combine hashmaps and lists together. I was also asked some behavioural questions about projects I worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Abebooks in December 2010.

interviewer asked me all about map datastructure:
     - Hashmap good design habits ,
     - what happens if 2 unequal objects but same hash code value
     - Arrays in hashmap cells

Interview Questions
    • - Hashmap good design habits ,
      - what happens if 2 unequal objects but same hash code value

View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Abebooks in May 2010.

After a phone screen, I was given a 2 hour on line assignment in using Java, Maven 2 and Spring JDBC. They said they were "very impressed" with my solution.

They flew me into Victoria for a full day of interviews.

I met with the manager of technology and the manager of development. They seemed to be looking for an excuse to disqualify me as they saw me. They asked NO technical questions or questions about my experience. Instead I was asked to about my biggest mistakes, my conflicts at the workplace and times when I pushed too far at work. I never had a interview with technical people consist solely of getting me to talk of negative work experiences. However, I thought my answers were fine. This lasted about fifty minutes. Then they told me to leave. Even when asked, the head manager refused to give any explanation or apology. Racism? Ageism? Managerial incompetence? I can only guess, but certainly rude.

I had to sit around for 7 hours until my plane left.