Abercrombie & Fitch

3.1

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in July 2014.

They found me via LinkedIn. The recruiter asked if I want to try giving them a shot. I said yes and he sent me a coding excercise to do with AJAX, HTML/CSS. I sent it back within 2 hours and they liked it. Then they looked at my resume and liked that, too.

After a week of talks, a date was finally set-up. It was 3 interviews in the span of 2 hours. I quickly found out every single developer used Macs. There was no room for Windows in development because they also use CodeKit.

The 1st guy, we talked about JavaScript and coding and websites. I was able to answer all but one question. Seemed pretty easy. Nice guy, too.

Second guy was more technical and a front-end lead developer. He asked more technical questions like "What is your workflow?", "What does Unit Testing mean to you?". I bombed both of those because I'm still stuck in 2010. Once again, nice guy.

Last two guys, for 3rd interview, was pretty much to talk about my practice of coding like how I do things and about my old job and what I did there. Pretty easy stuff and nice guys.

After that interview was over, on a Thursday, I got an email back the following Tuesday. No offer. I knew exactly why despite never confirming it.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest debugging challange you faced?   View Answer

Senior Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

Phone screening by a recruiter followed by in person interviews. Was told to "dress casual" for the interview. One with HR, then four with managers. The four people I interviewed with, including the CIO, were wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip flops from A&F.

Interview Questions
    • After the HR interview you are asked to take a test. It is, or is very similar, to the Wonderlic test. If you don't achieve the their minimum score (which was unknown to all but HR) you would not get to interview with any other people   View Answer

IT Leadership Development Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

I met a recruiter at my school career fair. Everything went well and she said she would contact me later. I got an email to meet at an information session. I went to the session and at the end, I had to take a "Wonderlic" test. This test is not that hard. I suggest Google'ing it. I was given a time to have an on-campus interview: 30 minutes with an HR recruiter and 30 minutes with someone who works in the IT field. They are very lenient with how to dress (jeans and normal shirt), but I dressed business casual because that's the way who I am. Long story short, I got invited to have a second interview at Home Office in New Albany, Ohio (near Columbus). They rented a car for me and I had to drive 4 hours with some other people. When I arrived, I was wined and dined with clothes, a private hotel room, a tour of both the city and Home Office, and a nice dinner. The second day near the end, we went through multiple interviews. They lost my Wonderlic test, so I had to retake it. Trying to take this test in extreme pressure from interviews makes it a lot harder than taking it the first time at the info session. Not too pleased about losing the test. Everything went great, though. When they sent us off back home, they said that I would hear in around a week. I waited over a month. I emailed back trying to hear anything. Around a week later, I received an email basically saying, "Sorry, but not sorry." Of course I'm bitter, but don't think everything went well because they can still say "no".

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Questions usually deal with "trying to cope with someone difficult at work/school", "most proud achievement", "trying to explain something difficult to a group", and questions like those.   Answer Question

Leadership Development Program Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in February 2014.

on campus interview at college career center where we took the Wonderlich test and had 2 interviews. Flown to Ohio for campus visit. Multiple group activities, interviews with people of varying positions in the company. The whole process is very laid back, but it seemed as though the recruiters were obviously targeting some people while ignoring others, in both professional and unprofessional ways. Must fit in with the culture or else you will hate it.

Assistant Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

When you are interviewing for any of the A&F brands at the home office make sure to wear a current outfit from either A&F, Hco or Gilly Hicks. Be prepared to interview with a few people from the department you are interviewing for as well as other coworkers you would interact with frequently. Be sure to be outgoing, spirited and most importantly, nice!

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a significant other living in a different city? If you aren't into living in the Columbus area then this may not be a good fit for you.   Answer Question

Store Control (Corporate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

I was approached on a social/career networking site by an Abercombie HR recruiter. After the initial exchange through email, we scheduled a time to chat on the phone, a converstion which consisted mostly of him telling me about how exciting he thought Abercrombie was, how great the New Albany campus was, and how Columbus was quite a decent city, too. (I was not a local candidate.)

Subsequently, we set up a Skype interview, which lasted well over an hour - quite atypical for an HR conversation. Many of the questions were behaviorally based, but the strangest and most irrelevant questions were the ones that I felt were geared more towards teenagers or college students. Obviously, he was trying to gauge whether I was one of the "cool kids," and whether what I did when I was 18 would fit the target demographic of Abercrombie today.

A few days later, he emailed me to tell me that he wanted me to Skype with another HR colleague. This conversation was about 40 minutes, and again consisted of some behavioral questions, but also had the typical interview questions like, "What is your biggest strength/weakness?" and "What is your biggest accomplishment?"

After these two encounters, their recruiting team made the travel arrangements to fly me to Columbus, stay overnight, and then go to the office the next morning for a half-day of interviews. I was informed by HR that the dress code was casual, and that their brands were encouraged, so I packed several Abercrombie and Hollister outfits with me. The first thing that I noticed was that it is a walk to get to the front of the office, and you can smell the office from a mile away. (They spray the same fragrance as in the store.) The front desk is manned by flip-flop clad people who look like they would work at the retail store.

The schedule for the morning consisted of the Wonderlic personnel test, then 4 back-to-back interviews of 30 minutes each. I met with another HR person, the hiring manager, a counterpart/peer, and then a business partner. I sat in one of the interview rooms the entire time, where the store music was piped through to the room. None of the interviewers really asked me any questions. They mostly just wanted to chat about how great the brand was, and how they loved their campus.

Afterwards, I had a campus tour with two of the campus tour guides. (I'm not sure if that is their official title, but it was 2 guys in their early 20's who probably wanted to be Abercrombie models.) They showed me the mock-up stores, the gym, the cafeteria, and some of the work spaces. The campus is reminscent of college. it is literally in the woods in the middle of nowhere, New Albany. Everyone is dressed in Abercrombie, and people seem to travel in groups. I didn't see anyone walking around by themselves.

After the campus tour, the initial HR contact came and took me to lunch at the cafeteria. The cafeteria offers a wide variety of food, and supposedly, everything is organic. The music was on full blast in the cafeteria.

Following lunch, they made arrangements for a real estate broker to take me around Columbus and drop me off at the airport.

I didn't hear back from anyone for about 2 weeks, so I figured that they weren't interested, and I was right. I got a call from HR explaining that they decided not to hire anyone externally for the role.

Interview Questions
    • What were your SAT scores? What extracurricular activities did you do in college?   Answer Question

Assistant Allocator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

Initial interview was by phone. First on-sight interview was with HR, and at that time was given an IQ test. Once the results are back, interview with team is arranged. First meeting with direct supervisors, then if they approve, on to another interview with the rest of the team.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a salary that was about the same as the salary + bonus I was making. I was able to get them up just above that number.

Brand Senses Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

Process started with an on campus interview, later I was invited to the home office for a two day interview. The experience was really exhausting, but not too intimidating. Make sure to answer a lot of questions and act interested in the brand and it's products.

Interview Questions
    • What is a situation where you were challenged as a leader?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

Multiple interviews after a phone screen. Face to face interview with HR. Then face to face interview with hiring manager and hiring managers peers and boss. Orientation for the first 2 days of employment

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in April 2012.

First, there was an interview on Skype. Second, I had an interview at the home office where I met four individuals for about 30 minutes each. I also took a short competency test.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult class you have taken during your undergraduate career and why?   Answer Question