Abercrombie & Fitch Store Manager Interview Questions

2.0

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

One hour interview with district manager. Can come casual if you like but be clean shaven and look the brand. Ask a current manager for styling tips - little things go a long way. Wear leather flip flops or converse, denim, a blue-something button down for guys with 2 top buttons undone and crew t-shirt underneath in white or gray. Girls have NATURAL makeup, aim to look like your not wearing any, no strong eyemakeup, I wore light eyeliner, but at work eyeliner is not allowed, only mascara. Little blush is perfect. Natural nails please. Pink or red toes, nothing on the fingers.

Interview Questions
  • What is your biggest accomplishment/What are you most proud of? Goal is to gague leadership ability, experience, and ambiition. No extra-curriculars or leadership is a major down. Think hard about how you can answer this question, it is the most important in gaguing if you are ready to be thrown into a manager position.
    Also pin yourself and seeing this job long term. Do NOT talk about how it is temporary but you really want to get into acting.
    Diversity: you better be a fan. And you should have a deeper thought process about it than just oh its people looking different.
    Ex question: What is your definition of diversity and is it important in the workplace?
    Ex question: Give an example of a time in which you worked with people of multiple backgrounds and made them feel included and respected. Pro tip: this doesn't just have to mean ethnic backgrounds, if you think about it, it could mean ages, genders, experience-levels, all of it! :)
      Answer Question
None that I knew of. But as a first job out of college, all managers-in-training started at the exact same set level. Raises offered at yearly reviews and with promotions.

Other Interview Reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

The hiring process is strictly superficial, they will know if they want to hire you before you sit down. The only requirements are that you graduated with a four year degree and that you can speak clearly.

non existent

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

If you have a four-year degree, you can get an interview (although I was told that one of the managers that was hired did not have one so it is entirely possible they don't even check into that). However, almost all of those that were hired as a manager were recruited by someone that worked there. Anyone who applies for a management position will be applying as a Manager In Training as all promotions are internal. Once you submit an application (if you were not recruited by someone), expect to be contacted by one of the Store Managers. Whichever manager you contacts you is the one who will mediate setting up an interview time with the District Manager. There is just one interview, if the DM likes you (basically can you speak in coherent sentences?), and if there is a spot open, you have a job.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked will for the most part be behavioral-analysis questions (i.e. tell me about a time when you had to lead a group and what was the outcome?). They will also ask you what your definition of diversity is and whether or not you believe it to be important in the workplace (no doubt a question they have to ask because of all of their lawsuits in the past).   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch.

Knowing someone helps but you should go into a store and talk to a manager, they usually don't do an interview unless they know what you look like

Interview Questions
    • They are all relatively easy. .....definitely know about diversity   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in November 2011.

Interviewing for the Manager in Training position is as easy as walking into a nearby store and asking for an MIT application. The application takes about 10-15 minutes to fill out and the you can chat with the manager on duty about setting up an interview with the District Manager. The interview is very informal. You just need to bring your resume and dress very casual with little to no makeup. The District Manager will then close by letting you know that you will be called within a week or so.

Interview Questions
    You aren't able to negotiate the base salary because it is fixed with the position and only heightened after yearly reviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in November 2011.

Management with A&F is based on being recruited, then an interview with the DM. If hired you're a manager in training (MIT), then an assistant manager, then hopefully a store/general manager. I worked part-time for the company through college for 4 years, then became an MIT after being pursued by my DM. I let my store manager know I was interested and she set up the interview with our DM. It was kind of a joke, I was asked one question about time management and then told I got the job. I'm currently a store manager and worked through MIT, AM, to SM. Growth occurs from within and all starts with MIT.

Interview Questions
    • Asked how I would prioritize my close if I were the only manager, I had one impact employee, 5 boxes of shipment, and 2 models on the sales floor, and it was unusually busy.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Athens, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in August 2011.

Current managers are trained to look out for potential recruits. You can get recruited in the mall or when the managers go out on local college campuses. The first interaction is usually with a manager that will go through a a list of reasons why you should work with Abercrombie. There is an actual script that is learned so it's not very candid. If they deem you attractive enough then you will get an interview with the district manager. Depending on the DM this could be really easy or very awkward. Abercrombie uses the STAR method for interviews. If you pass the interview with the DM then you will probably have a second interview with a recruiter for the district. Again you have to be deemed attractive enough to work for Abercrombie. I have personally seen many recruits hired that shouldn't have been, and were only hired because they were attractive. If you pass both interviews the district manager will call you back within a week and make you an offer. Do not expect much from the offer, Abercrombie has one of the worst salary rates in the industry. As an entry-level manager you will make 30,000/year and that will not increase when you get "promoted" to assistant manager. If you can make it and stick around long enough to become the store manager you will make an incredible 35,300/year.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a difficult question, very typical STAR method questions.   Answer Question
    There is not a negotiation, you either accept their terms or decline the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in August 2011.

I was hired out of college after one interview with the store manager and a second interview with the district manager. As soon as I was hired I went through a management in training program, learning the basics of operations, shrink, merchandising, etc.

Interview Questions
    • How do you know you are the fit for Abercrombie & Fitch?   Answer Question
    " we would like to hire you, offering you a base pay of 33,000 a year, would you like to join us?"

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in April 2011.

I worked at a Hollister as a part time employee during college, my store manager asked me to interview for a full time management position because I was about to graduate. He set up an interview with his District Manager. The interview process was pretty basic. The interview lasted about an hour, the majority of the questions were regarding the ability to work well with others and to problem solve.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question comes to mind as being extremely difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saginaw, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI

I applied through other source. The process took a year or more - interviewed at Abercrombie & Fitch in February 2009.

At the time I worked for the company for 5+ years at the part-time level. I interviewed with 4 different District Managers over the course of 1.25 years. Finally, one DM told me he wanted to take a chance and offered me the job. I feel like the other DM's didn't offer me the job because I wasn't "approved" and on their "cast of" tracker. Nowadays, managers have to meet their strict look/image.
    The interview questions were all situational based and were targeted at a specific characteristic of the candidates. There were anywhere between 5-10 categories and a good interview lasted around 1 hour.
    The District Managers were all very young and were anywhere from 24-29 years old. Which, for a company is very young.

Interview Questions
    • They were all typical interview questions and none were either difficult or unexpected. Like I said they're all situational based as the company has interview packets they must fill out and rate you. Based on the final grade you're either (1) Highly Recommended, (2) Recommended, or (3) Not Recommended.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. There is a set salary rate per location that the company based off the COLA for that specific location.

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!