Abt Associates Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2014

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Abt Associates in March 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter and we set up an interview 3 weeks into the future at their office. I videoconferenced with 4 employees and had 1 in-person interview over a span of 3 hours. Everyone I spoke with was very nice and laid back, which comforted me (probably a bit too much now that I think of it). A majority of the time the employees described the culture of the organization and their day to day processes. When they did ask questions, it was simple behavioral questions and experience straight from my resume. Every employee mentioned at least one time that they were impressed with the experiences I had described and thought it was admirable I had worked multiple internships while in graduate school. I got a semi-verbal offer before I left my final interview, but when I followed up a week later, I was told that the hiring team felt as if my skills did not match this position. I was really upset that I did not get this position, it seems like a great company to work for.

Interview Questions
  • Why would you want to get a Ph.D? Why did you choose the writing sample you did?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Abt Associates

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Abt Associates.

First round is four individual interviews, it takes several hours, and is not very efficient. Each person asks the same questions - would make sense to do this in a panel interview. Everyone is incredibly charming and intelligent. Nobody with the exception of the HR person responds to emails. The HR person will talk your ear off, but is not very helpful when it comes down to the details.

Interview Questions
    • If we gave you a 100 page report and asked you to summarize it overnight, what would your process be? I found this to be a strange and vague question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Abt Associates in June 2013.

Interviewed three times on separate occasions - received great feedback from office VP and US Health VP, only to be told they wouldn't be hiring for another two months. Kept following-up via email, and when I inquired about when decisions would be made I never received an email back. The office atmosphere was moderately welcoming and quite stark. I would not recommend any one to apply for this company after they wasted my time, and essentially led me on for months. My main concern is why invite candidates back for consecutive interviews (especially with execs) when you are not hiring?

Interview Questions
    • No questions were extremely difficult, as they all pertained to past experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Abt Associates in June 2013.

I was referred by an employee and set up to meet with five employees. The HR rep was first and she had pretty standard interview questions, beginning with, "why do you want to work at Abt?" Then I met with the SEP Division Director and she asked me about my background and interest in specific practice areas. I then met with other members of the SEP team who wanted more detailed as to my professional experience and skills (including quant analysis).

Everyone was very warm and devoted to their work.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do to sell your approach to the rest of the team? Tell me about your biggest regret in a professional setting.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Fit questions, resume questions, discussions of experience

Interview Questions
    • There were not any unexpected or difficult questions. Especially for the fit questions, they were the basic "Tell me about a time you faced a challenge or disagreed with your manager; Tell me about your greatest accomplishment; Do you prefer to work in large teams or small teams or by yourself?"   Answer Question
    One round of negotiations with point HR person

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Abt Associates in August 2011.

Abt Associates contacted me to schedule an in person interview about two weeks after I applied for the position. Within a week, I was in their Cambridge office, meeting with seven people. I met with each person separately, 6 people were in the division that I was hoping to work in and one was HR. There were two phone interviews, one video conference (with HR from the DC office), and four face-to-face interviews.

They each had their own focus for the interview, from basic questions about my resume and skills to in-depth questioning about my data analysis knowledge to a test of my analytical reasoning skills. The whole process lasted about four hours (with a free lunch) and was very grueling.

For any future job seekers, I would recommend that you be prepared to answer in-depth for anything you put on you resume, especially any skills you list (they will want examples). Additionally, they will test you on the skills listed in the job description, so don't lie on your resume unless you can learn it before they call you in.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of ______ , which you listed as a skill on your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Abt Associates in April 2010.

I received a phone call to set up an interview shortly after submitting my resume using the online system. Interview was 2 weeks later. Met with 5 different people over the course of one morning, each one on one. Interview felt rushed, and I felt over-prepared. It was not clear to me what they were looking for. However, everyone was very friendly and I was disappointed not to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever disagreed with a supervisor about the best way to approach a problem?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Abt Associates in November 2011.

I was interviewed by this company twice, for the same position in different departments. Both interviews included three members of the team. In the first interview, the Supervisor was engaged, but displayed dissatisfaction with everything I said. This was in staunch contrast to the approval I received from the other members. Perhaps this was the demeanor of the Supervisor, perhaps not.

Ultimately, the most dis-satisfactory part of both interview processes was the fact that HR ignored me entirely for over 3 weeks on each occasion. I followed up via email and phone call, but received no responses. It was only after several days that I spoke to the HR Supervisor, who promptly hurried me off the phone.

Seeing as this was my experience twice for positions I was qualified for, I would not want to work for this company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your work history and tell us about your qualifications for this position.   Answer Question

Worked for Abt Associates? Contribute to the Community!