Abt Associates

Abt Associates Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2014
Updated Nov 14, 2014

Finance and Contract Analyst Interview

I had a referal who passed along my resume, and then was asked to apply online to get into the system. I got an interview about a month and a half later. The interview was with my two direct managers. They asked very basic questions about my past experiences, and how I would deal with certain situations.

They offered me the position (2 months later).

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Abt Associates.

Preliminary contact by HR began one month after application was submitted. Teleconference interview was scheduled for the following week. Interview lasted about an hour. Panel consisted of 4 members of technical team. It was pretty straightforward. My HR contact was very responsive, prompt, readily available. They chose another candidate, and I was informed in one week.
    It was a pretty straightforward process. No problems.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were nontechnical. Hardest questions were the "list 3" types. Eg. list the 3 most important skills for this position. With a panel of 4, obviously, the answer will not please everyone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Abt Associates in September 2014.

Seems to be a very professional company. The branch in Atlanta is somewhat small but they are expanding. My interviewer was very pleasant and kept a light-hearted tone. A successful candidate will interview about 2-3 times before an offer is made. They were looking for someone who had a slightly different skill set than what I could offer.

Interview Questions
    • How familiar are you with maintaining data dictionaries?   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Abt Associates in September 2014.

Abt Associates contacted me with an initial phone interview to get a high-level feel for my skill set and were excited enough to hear from me that they quickly arranged an interview for the following week. A day after the phone call I was contacted, via email, with a schedule of my interview, which was arranged to take the better part of the morning it was scheduled for. Included in the schedule were contact information for the HR rep, the address and suite where Abt works from, and other details. It was a very helpful document.

The day of the interview I arrive at Abt Associates and was greeted at the front office by the receptionist. I received a visitor badge upon signing in and waited for a few minutes (I was early). When my HR POC arrived we found that the room that had been reserved for my first (of five) interviews had been re-assigned for an employee breakfast (bagels and such had been arranged on the conference table).

After finding an alternative room I was left with two Abt Associates team members. They began to ask about what I did currently. I gave an explanation and they gave me blank looks. They asked how I could translate my current experience with the work at Abt. Knowing I was coming in slightly less experienced than what they were probably hoping for with SAS programming (they wanted someone with macros experience), I tried to make ties, but I honestly didn't have a good grasp yet on what exactly it was they were doing.

After interview 1 of 5, I was handed off to a very kind HR rep to head towards interview 2. I met with a Senior Analyst/Statistician and felt comfortable with her. She asked about where I was interested in going career wise and how working at Abt fit into that. It was really a pretty easy interview and I felt like I got to ask her a lot about what she does for Abt.

After that I met over video conference with one of Abt's Officers. She was kind and talked a lot about the team work aspects of the company. She asked a little bit about me, but mostly spent the time filling me in on the nature of the work and culture of the company.

Next I met with another Senior Analyst/Statistician. He also was pleasant, though very straight forward and blunt. He asked about my experience with several statistical programming languages primarily and about my experience with statistical modeling techniques. I left feeling confident, that I had now made two great impressions with important interviewers.

Finally, I met with another Lead Analyst, she asked about my background in statistics and familiarity with SAS. She was very to the point, but I did get to talk about my goals and how I could see Abt being a great place to learn, grow, and make a difference in the world through my career.

After that I was picked up by the kind HR rep and we had an impromptu interview about the benefits and culture at Abt. This was actually a really meaningful conversation and I think that the culture sounded pretty excellent.

Interview Questions
    • How to translate what I was doing in Parametric Cost Estimation for Military Programs into analyzing the success of educational or housing programs for insights into stopping or continuing with improvement of these programs.   View Answer

Abt Associates returned by telling me I did not qualify for the position I interviewed for, but that they wold gladly bring me on board at a lower position. The salary for the position they wanted to bring me on at was lower than the salary I received starting off with my current employer three years earlier.

Senior Analyst/Technical Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Abt Associates in August 2014.

When I applied and after being referred by Abt employee, I was invited to an interview after exactly 6 days. Went to the interview one week after. After a 15min delay, the interview started with 2 people physically present and 1 by conference call. One key person from the panel was missing. No HR coordinator or recruiter was part of the panel. The whole Interview lasted for 45 mins. I was put at ease by the panel. I was asked the traditional question "Tell us about yourself" and other ones. I was told to receive a feedback from HR within a week, which happened since the position had to be filled before the end of the month.

Interview Questions
    • How do you see yourself in 5 years? What's the most innovative approach in the field of International Health?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Must pass the online resume screening before being called in for an interview. 2 hour in-person interview in Cambridge office. Interviewed by 4 separate employees all from different levels. Interview was very informative about the organization and the job position. Asked several questions, ranging from why you chose a particular major in college to what your extracurricular activities were to why you feel as though you would be the best fit for the job.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Abt Associates in March 2014.

I was contacted by a researcher to schedule a brief phone interview. The questions were mostly about my experience with statistical analysis and statistical software. They asked me questions about whether I had experience using a particular statistical program which was not described in the job listing. I could not answer some of the questions because they expected me to have experience but I did not. I knew that I was not going to be a good fit for the position because it appeared they wanted someone with a lot of experience. I was told a few days later that I was not selected for the position.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I was contacted by a recruiter and we set up an interview 3 weeks into the future at their office. I videoconferenced with 4 employees and had 1 in-person interview over a span of 3 hours. Everyone I spoke with was very nice and laid back, which comforted me (probably a bit too much now that I think of it). A majority of the time the employees described the culture of the organization and their day to day processes. When they did ask questions, it was simple behavioral questions and experience straight from my resume. Every employee mentioned at least one time that they were impressed with the experiences I had described and thought it was admirable I had worked multiple internships while in graduate school. I got a semi-verbal offer before I left my final interview, but when I followed up a week later, I was told that the hiring team felt as if my skills did not match this position. I was really upset that I did not get this position, it seems like a great company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to get a Ph.D? Why did you choose the writing sample you did?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Abt Associates.

First round is four individual interviews, it takes several hours, and is not very efficient. Each person asks the same questions - would make sense to do this in a panel interview. Everyone is incredibly charming and intelligent. Nobody with the exception of the HR person responds to emails. The HR person will talk your ear off, but is not very helpful when it comes down to the details.

Interview Questions
    • If we gave you a 100 page report and asked you to summarize it overnight, what would your process be? I found this to be a strange and vague question.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Abt Associates.

Initial communication was straight forward. I received an email from HR informing me that they would like to schedule an interview. My first interview was immediately with the team I would be working for. The interviewers asked the usual questions about experience and skill set. I felt at ease taking to the team and answering their questions. Their demeanor was professional but there were a few candid moments, which helped break the ice and allowed for a good interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect them to say that I was over qualify for the job. They asked me to build an argument on why they would accept me and what I would to enhance the position if offered to me.   Answer Question