Abt Associates

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Abt Associates in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter and we set up an interview 3 weeks into the future at their office. I videoconferenced with 4 employees and had 1 in-person interview over a span of 3 hours. Everyone I spoke with was very nice and laid back, which comforted me (probably a bit too much now that I think of it). A majority of the time the employees described the culture of the organization and their day to day processes. When they did ask questions, it was simple behavioral questions and experience straight from my resume. Every employee mentioned at least one time that they were impressed with the experiences I had described and thought it was admirable I had worked multiple internships while in graduate school. I got a semi-verbal offer before I left my final interview, but when I followed up a week later, I was told that the hiring team felt as if my skills did not match this position. I was really upset that I did not get this position, it seems like a great company to work for.

Interview Question – Why would you want to get a Ph.D? Why did you choose the writing sample you did?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interview Details – I was contacted by a researcher to schedule a brief phone interview. The questions were mostly about my experience with statistical analysis and statistical software. They asked me questions about whether I had experience using a particular statistical program which was not described in the job listing. I could not answer some of the questions because they expected me to have experience but I did not. I knew that I was not going to be a good fit for the position because it appeared they wanted someone with a lot of experience. I was told a few days later that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Question – What do you not like doing?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and interviewed at Abt Associates.

Interview Details – First round is four individual interviews, it takes several hours, and is not very efficient. Each person asks the same questions - would make sense to do this in a panel interview. Everyone is incredibly charming and intelligent. Nobody with the exception of the HR person responds to emails. The HR person will talk your ear off, but is not very helpful when it comes down to the details.

Interview Question – If we gave you a 100 page report and asked you to summarize it overnight, what would your process be? I found this to be a strange and vague question.   Answer Question

Senior FCA Interview

Senior FCA
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Abt Associates in February 2010.

Interview Details – Average.

Negotiation Details – Easy.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Abt Associates in December 2010.

Interview Details – Met with three people - the hiring manager and then two peers. Typical project manager interview - what have you done what are you like to work with etc.No case studies or anything like that - it was more will you fit in here interview. They described the work being done and where they needed help.

Interview Question – None really. Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Beware of IT job offers - the HR person assigned to IT likes to lowball EVERYONE and then will eventually come around to a decent offer. Do not take the first offer from her.

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Abt Associates.

Interview Details – Initial communication was straight forward. I received an email from HR informing me that they would like to schedule an interview. My first interview was immediately with the team I would be working for. The interviewers asked the usual questions about experience and skill set. I felt at ease taking to the team and answering their questions. Their demeanor was professional but there were a few candid moments, which helped break the ice and allowed for a good interview experience.

Interview Question – I did not expect them to say that I was over qualify for the job. They asked me to build an argument on why they would accept me and what I would to enhance the position if offered to me.   Answer Question

Finance and Contracts Manager Interview

Finance and Contracts Manager
Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Abt Associates in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview/hiring experience was positive overall. Three people interviewed me and it was rather enjoyable. The office environment seemed positive. The response after the interview was very quick.

Interview Question – How did you handle a difficult supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate the salary as I was offered 8% over my most recent salary.

Portfolio Manager Interview

Portfolio Manager
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and interviewed at Abt Associates.

Interview Details – Poor communication from the recruitment director, little follow-up or personalization of process. Poor follow-up to interview process and feedback.

This is a good place for people who want to get hands on experience in the international public health field.

Interview Questions

• What does your husband do!?   View Answer
  • Questions regarding whether the Nigeria team should be beginning their meeting with a morning prayer or not!   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was not inspired by the recruitment management and concerned by the lack of structure to the hiring process.

I felt there was little handling of senior candidates and difficulty in obtaining guidance. I was surprised by the lack of leadership within the recruitment department, competing organization were head and shoulders above I am afraid to say. If you can make it past the shambles of recruitment, the rest of the organization is amazing and very respected.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Abt Associates in June 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed three times on separate occasions - received great feedback from office VP and US Health VP, only to be told they wouldn't be hiring for another two months. Kept following-up via email, and when I inquired about when decisions would be made I never received an email back. The office atmosphere was moderately welcoming and quite stark. I would not recommend any one to apply for this company after they wasted my time, and essentially led me on for months. My main concern is why invite candidates back for consecutive interviews (especially with execs) when you are not hiring?

Interview Question – No questions were extremely difficult, as they all pertained to past experience.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Bethesda, MD

I interviewed at Abt Associates in June 2009.

Interview Details – Bethesda office is nice, the interviewer was nice, very courteous, professional.

Interview Question – There was no such, the interviewing pass as i expected   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Abt Associates

Worked for Abt Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abt Associates interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Abt Associates employees and interview candidates.