Academic Advantage

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.3

Student Learning Plan Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Academic Advantage.

They call you into the office for an interview then send one of your possible future coworkers from their team to retrieve you, who brings you to whatever unoccupied space they in which they will be conducting the interview. I was interviewed by a panel of 2, since they were both looking to fill a position on their respective teams. They ask general interview questions about your background and experience, and if you indicate that you're bilingual, they will ask you a simple question in Spanish, which you will be required to answer in Spanish. For example: "Tell me about the last movie you watched."

Tutor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Academic Advantage.

I applied on their website, and was called by an employee who asked me a few questions on by experience with tutoring. She asked how I would go about tutoring a student. I think I just said I would give them some kind of assessment, to find out what they know and work from there.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult interview questions for me. They just asked if I had ever tutored, and how I did it.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate because it was my first job while in college.

Tutor Interview

Phone interview and exam. After passing those two, they proceed to schedule a day for orientation.

no negotiation

NCLB Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Academic Advantage in February 2014.

A company representative called me and said that they had seen my resume online: Would I like to work for them? I was excited after being unemployed for over a year. The wait for orientation was a long one, and orientation was located in Los Angeles. There were no interviews.

Interview Questions
    They offered $16 per hour to be paid as an independent contractor with no compensation for fuel, prep time, or supplies needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reedley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reedley, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Academic Advantage.

It was a really easy process. i saw ads online and I sent in my resume. I received a call pretty quickly and got an interview. After that I went through an orientation that explained the whole tutoring process. This was my first real job so I was a bit worried but I had experience tutoring kids at the local schools.

Interview Questions
    • not a difficult questions...but they asked me if I was bilingual   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cordova, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Academic Advantage.

I was browsing online to see if there were any volunteer opportunities in my city. I happen to see the tutoring ad for this company and decided to submit the online application. I received a call within a week and was given an interview. I was then invited to attend the orientation in Sacramento. I met my fellow tutors and learn the procedures for job. After submitting my TB and fingerprints, I received a list of students in my city to work with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Academic Advantage in January 2014.

The interview was simple and over the phone. They asked what I would do to connect with a student who was having a hard time with a given subject and that was it. Very easy questions. I was then asked to complete an on-line tutorial, which was pretty much a webinar. A week later I received an email for orientation where I was finger printed. I had to wait for a few days for my background and finger printing to get cleared and then i received a list of students.

Interview Questions
    • What would do to connect with a student who was having a hard time with a given subject ?   View Answer
    None.

Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Academic Advantage.

My friend referred me to the position. I applied and received a call to come in to the interview. I was interview by my future supervisor. She was very nice and courteous. Questions were very professional and related to the position. I then received a call saying that I got the position and would begin training.

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Academic Advantage.

I submitted my resume on indeed for anyone to hire me. I've received several interviews from different tutoring companies but this one really caught my eye. They were very professional and asked detailed questions about my experience. They were looking for very well qualified tutors. I was asked in for an orientation and started working within the week.

Interview Questions
    • Them asking me for additional references. The other companies didn't request this and i was surprised they did.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Academic Advantage in December 2013.

Individuals will be contacted because their resumes have been posted to Monster or CareerBuilder or some other website. You will receive a call to verify your tutoring experience and education. If selected, you go through a two-day orientation process in which you are informed that you must participate in order to be paid. However, tutors are not paid for orientation.

The first orientation phase is online and takes approximately 1-2 hours. During the orientation, you will be informed that you will be required to provide a TB test taken within the last 12 months and that you will be required to go through a background check either through a company of your own choice or through the company used by Academic Advantage. If you go through the service provided by Academic Advantage, you will be informed that you will be charged $88, which will come out of your first two paychecks. You are also told that you will have to provide verification of your education in the 2nd day orientation. You are also informed that you will be contacted to schedule the second-day orientation, which will take place at a designated location near your location.

The second phase of the orientation, you will meet with an individual from Academic Advantage. Depending on the number of tutors going through the orientation it can take anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 hours. During my orientation there were over twenty people there. I arrived at approximately 6PM and completed my orientation at about 8:45PM. Almost half on the tutors were still there when I had completed the process.

The orientation packet consist of several documents that is crucial that all tutors read. The rules and regulations consist of more than 190 pages (if not read thoroughly, tutors will most definitely encounter with respect to getting paid). The person doing the orientation goes over some of the guidelines, but time does not permit for all areas to be covered. Once you have completed orientation and your background check has been completed, you are told that you will be contacted regarding the students in your school district that require tutoring. I did not actually start tutoring until March.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process was rather standard, and there were not particularly any difficult or unexpected questions that I encountered.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, you were informed you would be paid a specific hourly rate. Either you accepted or you declined.