Academic Advantage

Average Difficulty
40 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Academic Advantage in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was simple and over the phone. They asked what I would do to connect with a student who was having a hard time with a given subject and that was it. Very easy questions. I was then asked to complete an on-line tutorial, which was pretty much a webinar. A week later I received an email for orientation where I was finger printed. I had to wait for a few days for my background and finger printing to get cleared and then i received a list of students.

Interview Question – What would do to connect with a student who was having a hard time with a given subject ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

NCLB Tutor Interview

NCLB Tutor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Academic Advantage in February 2014.

Interview Details – A company representative called me and said that they had seen my resume online: Would I like to work for them? I was excited after being unemployed for over a year. The wait for orientation was a long one, and orientation was located in Los Angeles. There were no interviews.

Interview Question – No interview questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered $16 per hour to be paid as an independent contractor with no compensation for fuel, prep time, or supplies needed.

NCLB Tutor Interview

NCLB Tutor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Academic Advantage in December 2011.

Interview Details – There was no real interview process. I found the job on Craigslist Los Angeles, submitted an online application, received a call a few days later during which I was asked a couple questions regarding my knowledge of English and Math as well as my availability, location, and transportation means to determine which students I'd be working with, and other basic questions. There were no questions to assess my knowledge of English or Math, nor any real verification of my experience. When you go in for the orientation, you simply go over the tutoring procedure and fill out their forms.

There is no drug testing, but there is a background check. Your picture is taken at the conclusion of the orientation and you are given a name tag with the picture on it.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They specified a nonnegotiable base rate which was adequate for the work involved, and I did not ask them about their refusal to negotiate.

Interviewed at Academic Advantage

Interview Details – Phone interview and exam. After passing those two, they proceed to schedule a day for orientation.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Academic Tutor Interview

Academic Tutor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Academic Advantage in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was screened over the phone. They asked if I would feel comfortable tutoring students from kindergarten to high school grades. They gave me the date and time for an orientation that was coming up and asked me to go.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Reedley, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Academic Advantage.

Interview Details – It was a really easy process. i saw ads online and I sent in my resume. I received a call pretty quickly and got an interview. After that I went through an orientation that explained the whole tutoring process. This was my first real job so I was a bit worried but I had experience tutoring kids at the local schools.

Interview Question – not a difficult questions...but they asked me if I was bilingual   Answer Question

Rancho Cordova, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Academic Advantage.

Interview Details – I was browsing online to see if there were any volunteer opportunities in my city. I happen to see the tutoring ad for this company and decided to submit the online application. I received a call within a week and was given an interview. I was then invited to attend the orientation in Sacramento. I met my fellow tutors and learn the procedures for job. After submitting my TB and fingerprints, I received a list of students in my city to work with.

Interview Question – Am I bilingual?   Answer Question

Representative Interview

Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Academic Advantage.

Interview Details – My friend referred me to the position. I applied and received a call to come in to the interview. I was interview by my future supervisor. She was very nice and courteous. Questions were very professional and related to the position. I then received a call saying that I got the position and would begin training.

Interview Question – The questions seemed standard to me.   Answer Question

Moreno Valley, CA

I interviewed at Academic Advantage in October 2013.

Interview Details – A bunch of my friends told me about this job. I called for more information and they directed me to their website. After I filled in the information I received a call within a few days. They gave me an over the phone interview. I was then invited to the orientation in Riverside and got the training needed to begin tutoring.

Interview Question – Do you have reliable transportation?   Answer Question

Tutor

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on indeed for anyone to hire me. I've received several interviews from different tutoring companies but this one really caught my eye. They were very professional and asked detailed questions about my experience. They were looking for very well qualified tutors. I was asked in for an orientation and started working within the week.

Interview Question – Them asking me for additional references. The other companies didn't request this and i was surprised they did.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Academic Advantage

Worked for Academic Advantage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Academic Advantage interview questions and advice. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by Academic Advantage employees and interview candidates.