Academic Advantage

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Academic Advantage in February 2014.

Interview Details – A company representative called me and said that they had seen my resume online: Would I like to work for them? I was excited after being unemployed for over a year. The wait for orientation was a long one, and orientation was located in Los Angeles. There were no interviews.

Interview Question – No interview questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered $16 per hour to be paid as an independent contractor with no compensation for fuel, prep time, or supplies needed.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Academic Advantage in December 2011.

Interview Details – There was no real interview process. I found the job on Craigslist Los Angeles, submitted an online application, received a call a few days later during which I was asked a couple questions regarding my knowledge of English and Math as well as my availability, location, and transportation means to determine which students I'd be working with, and other basic questions. There were no questions to assess my knowledge of English or Math, nor any real verification of my experience. When you go in for the orientation, you simply go over the tutoring procedure and fill out their forms.

There is no drug testing, but there is a background check. Your picture is taken at the conclusion of the orientation and you are given a name tag with the picture on it.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They specified a nonnegotiable base rate which was adequate for the work involved, and I did not ask them about their refusal to negotiate.

Interviewed at Academic Advantage

Interview Details – I came back to work with the company. I had a phone interview. My fingerprints were valid and I submitted a new TB test. I came into the office for an orientation and re-learned the paperwork and tutoring guidelines. I was assigned students after the orientation and began tutoring the following day.

Interview Question – Why I decided to come back to tutor with the company   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Academic Advantage in February 2013.

Interview Details – One of the recruiters give you a call, if you qualify, they will tell you to attend a 2 day orientation, then they will assign you a student list.

Interview Question – The most difficult thing about the job is making sure you are highly organized.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation phase, they just said 17.00 an hour is standard.

NCLB Tutor

I applied online and interviewed at Academic Advantage.

Interview Details – I was called and given a phone interview about two months after I actually applied for the job. My interviewer was a very nice guy who really liked how enthusiastic I was about tutoring kids. I was asked questions about my experience, my schedule, if I could allot a certain number of hours a week to tutoring, wether or not I had reliable transportation, etc. He asked some questions about how I would work with an unmotivated student, how to motivate them, what my idea of a positive role model is and so on. I also had to complete a simple English test.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Academic Advantage in October 2009.

Interview Details – Called to come in for a presentation about the position and got the job.

Negotiation Details – N.A

NCLB Tutor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Academic Advantage.

Interview Details – Phone Interview by a recruiter. I had my resume online. I received a call, and set a date to go in for orientation. Also took a math and Reading exam online, it is at about an 8th grade level.You get your finger prints done, if you pass the background check, you can start working.

NCLB Tutor

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Academic Advantage in November 2010.

Interview Details – I heard about this tutoring company, and applied online. They called me about a week later, and conducted a phone interview, three days after that I was scheduled to go into the office to do another interview and training. The training was long but very informative, they gave me several packets that were reviewed and instructions on how to do the job. The job consisted of tutoring and turning in forms proving the tutoring that was done. Since I was going to be working with children, they asked for fingerprints and did a background check. The pay is about $17 to 20; worth it, and a very easy process.

Interview Question – what is your educational background, and do you have any experience of certification with working with special education children?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you want a part time job that pays well, apply to this tutoring job.

NCLB Tutor

The process took a day - interviewed at Academic Advantage in October 2011.

Interview Details – Easy craigslist application

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating

Interviews for Top Jobs at Academic Advantage

Worked for Academic Advantage? Contribute to the Community!