Academy Sports & Outdoors

1.2

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in October 2013.

The managers were desperate for someone in the camping department so I got a call from them two days after I applied. They asked when I would be available and we set up the interview. Simple interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2013.

I applied online, and within a couple of weeks I got a phone call from my prospective manager. After introducing herself and talking about the company a bit, she questioned the availability I put in my application. After that was clarified, she told me that she would like for me to come in for an interview.

The interview was relatively basic, with just myself and the manager present. Questions about handling interpersonal conflict and how to treat customers were predominant. Originally, I was only applying for a seasonal position (summer) due to my university work load during the semester. After expressing interest in staying on with the company beyond the summer if they felt they could work with my tight schedule, she offered me the position, assuring that my schedule was okay.

About a month later I attended orientation with other new employees which consisted of situational videos and computer-based testing. Another two weeks after that I had my first real shift.

The manager promised me a certain number of weekly hours in the interview, but during my time there I only saw half of those promised hours.

Interview Questions
    • As an entry-level position, nothing was unexpected or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in June 2011.

Applied online, never received feedback. Entered store front and talked to manager directly, was hired next day. Basic interview process, wanted to know about why I was the right fit for the position and some basic behavioral questions. Previous experience questions were asked but nothing difficult. The key to getting this job was getting past the online resume bombardment the managers were experience. Apply then appear in person and you will have success.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic, most difficult had to be what did you do in your last job to become more efficient.   Answer Question
    Summer Job, they stated non negotiable.

Camping Associate Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in June 2011.

quick and easy, they read cookie cutter questions from a piece of paper

Camping Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in November 2008.

Applied for Camping position in late november. I was called in for an interview about 2-3 days later. Manager was cool and appearntly just looking for someone to work during the holidays. I started working the next day AFTER the interview. I had no retail training what so ever, learned everything as I went along. Ended up staying until late April. Very easy job. The only thing I didn't like was taking down HEAVY smokers from the top shelf on a flimsy metal latter, my partner and I could have seriously injured ourselves if we dropped it.

none