Academy Sports & Outdoors Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

1.7

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Applied online within a week or two got a call from the manager and had a phone interview. After that was called in for an in person interview on Friday, July 13. The manager and team lead were in the room. Went over job requirements and description. Asked basic situational questions that were on here. Asked what job would I prefer. I said apparel. Said he would call Monday never did so I called him and he said there were a lot more interviews than they expected so he will call me Friday. I called back and got called in for a second interview. Got hired. Payed orientation.

Other Interview Reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in September 2014.

Did an application 2 weeks prior to getting an interview. They called to set up an interview on a friday. I went in and sat down with 2 leads, the apparel team manager and the cashier team lead. The only reason why the apparel team lead interviewed me was because no other manager was available. They were pretty cool and just wanted to see if you're dedicated and hardworking. Basic interview questions and it went smooth. They said they got a good vibe and told me I should expect a call with in a week.

Got a call that following tuesday and was told to come in to accept the offer. I did and now I'm just waiting on the background check.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in August 2014.

I did my application online and was called the next day to come to an interview that same day got the job on the spot. Basically I was asked why i wanted to work for them, the nice lady that interviewed me said i had a fun personality and its good to have patience especially during holidays. The process was very quick and easy I tried to talk about some of my interests with sports.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time, where you didn't agree with a company policy, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    Since i was paid $10.20 at my previous job they offered me $9.00 and I took it because its a lot closer to my home and I feel like it will be a fun environment to work in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pearland, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pearland, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in August 2014.

I applied on Aug 27 online & received a call on Aug 29 did a phone interview & was asked to come in later that day for a face to face interview she offered me the job at the end, now I'm waiting on my background check to come back. Academy likes ppl that are friendly & that really wants to work

Interview Questions
    • How many unexcused absences do you believe someone should have within 6 months   View Answer
    she asked what I wanted & she gave it to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmond, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmond, OK

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in July 2014.

When the hiring manager comes up to you, shake their hand, reply to whatever they say with "thank you for this oppurtunity i really appreciate it."Management will come on strong and bombard you with all types of questions. Mostly about your previous jobs, in what area you would want to work, and what skills you have.
    For some reason they like people with previous experience. I don't know why, it's just a retail job how much experience do you need? If any at all? Good luck getting hired here.

I just wasn't picked. But they called me over 2 months later and kept me on the phone for over 20 minutes because they were trying to find whoever looked at my application. I don't know why they didn't just find the person BEFORE they called me and wasted my time.

Honestly, just don't apply here. It's a waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest one for me was "When was a time you went out of your way to help a customer?"   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Applied online. Didn't hear back for weeks. Went to store to possibly apply in person, manager wrote down my name, and called me for interview 4 hours later. Simple questions: Are you still interested in cashier position? Are you available until closing time/weekends? Are any relatives working for Academy? What do you expect to be paid?

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really know how to answer the question on how much to be paid. Since it was just an entry level job I expected to paid minimum wage.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

An interview with a follow up appointment for a job offer. The manager explained to me that Academy offered tuition reimbursement for business majors. The interview wasn't hard at all.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of how you gave excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    I signed a piece of paper that stated my position and rate of pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nacogdoches, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nacogdoches, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2012.

The phone interview basically just asked questions like when can you work, what do you expect from the job, and what are your hobbies. After he finished the questions he invited me for a one on one interview the following day. I went to the interview and he asked some basic situational questions, such as tell me about a time when you didn't like the policy at work, tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer, and tell me about a time when you did something good but didn't get recognized for it. After the interview was complete, I was offered a position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.   Answer Question
    The pay was fine. I saw no reason to negotiate.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2012.

Submitted an online application that was fairly long, got a call about 2 weeks later, asked me a few questions on the phone such as availability, then asked me to come in for an interview. Questions were pretty standard, easy to respond to and the manager was impressed with everything I said. At the end they asked if I had any questions, I asked when I could start and they went ahead and hired me and told me to come in the next day for paperwork. Usually there's two interviews on two separate days, sometimes even three.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you accomplished but did not receive any recognition for? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They offer, you accept or decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evans, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evans, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in September 2010.

DO NOT CALL THE STORE! The applications are strictly online and the managers will pull applications as needed. The managers will call for either an interview or to fill out additional paperwork.