Academy Sports & Outdoors Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

1.5

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview

Very simple, straight-forward line of questioning; you're trying to be a cashier, not a brain surgeon. The questions are consistent with what is presented on the online application. If you've had an easy time with the application, the interview is just as easy. Like most retailers, they just want you to assure them that you can problem solve and not lose your cool with difficult customers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to problem solve (or something along those lines)?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Melbourne, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview started off with a phone screening, where they mainly confirmed availability, work experience, etc. A few hours later, I got a call to schedule an interview the following day. Interview was a panel interview, with both the general manager and front-end team leader present. Questions were standard and exactly what you'd expect from a retail position. Only a few hours after the interview, I'd received a phonecall from Academy stating that they'd like to offer me a seasonal cashier position (I'd applied for permanent part-time, but I was willing to take what I could get), and gave me a date for a second interview. Second interview was with the store director, and was mostly to discuss things I should expect from the role. Afterward, I was told the manager would call me within the next few days to come in and do my job offer paperwork. Instead, I got a rejection email. Having seen the other interview experience listed for this particular location, this should have come at absolutely no surprise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Melbourne, FL) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online in early November. Got a call to come in December. Had 2 interviews. The second interview I was told they wanted to bring me on as a cashier. Didn't hear back from them for over a month (store isn't opened yet) and decided to give them a call. After being on hold for over 5 minutes I was told position has already been filled! Did not appreciate this at all!

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I only had one interview. The manager was asking me what I would do if someone was angry, situational-type questions. The manager also asked me about school and what I wanted to do when I graduated. They like to see that you're determined to succeed in life. The team lead was also in the room just observing. The manager made me an offer after the interview. I only had to submit to a background check and wait for abor a week for that to fall through.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you came across an unreasonable customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offered me 8.50 and I took it.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview

Applied online within a week or two got a call from the manager and had a phone interview. After that was called in for an in person interview on Friday, July 13. The manager and team lead were in the room. Went over job requirements and description. Asked basic situational questions that were on here. Asked what job would I prefer. I said apparel. Said he would call Monday never did so I called him and he said there were a lot more interviews than they expected so he will call me Friday. I called back and got called in for a second interview. Got hired. Payed orientation.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Columbia, SC) in September 2014.

Interview

Did an application 2 weeks prior to getting an interview. They called to set up an interview on a friday. I went in and sat down with 2 leads, the apparel team manager and the cashier team lead. The only reason why the apparel team lead interviewed me was because no other manager was available. They were pretty cool and just wanted to see if you're dedicated and hardworking. Basic interview questions and it went smooth. They said they got a good vibe and told me I should expect a call with in a week. Got a call that following tuesday and was told to come in to accept the offer. I did and now I'm just waiting on the background check.

Anonymous Employee in Pearland, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Pearland, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied on Aug 27 online & received a call on Aug 29 did a phone interview & was asked to come in later that day for a face to face interview she offered me the job at the end, now I'm waiting on my background check to come back. Academy likes ppl that are friendly & that really wants to work

Interview Questions

• How many unexcused absences do you believe someone should have within 6 months   1 Answer

Negotiation

she asked what I wanted & she gave it to me.

Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Lewisville, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I did my application online and was called the next day to come to an interview that same day got the job on the spot. Basically I was asked why i wanted to work for them, the nice lady that interviewed me said i had a fun personality and its good to have patience especially during holidays. The process was very quick and easy I tried to talk about some of my interests with sports.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time, where you didn't agree with a company policy, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since i was paid $10.20 at my previous job they offered me $9.00 and I took it because its a lot closer to my home and I feel like it will be a fun environment to work in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmond, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Edmond, OK) in July 2014.

Interview

When the hiring manager comes up to you, shake their hand, reply to whatever they say with "thank you for this oppurtunity i really appreciate it."Management will come on strong and bombard you with all types of questions. Mostly about your previous jobs, in what area you would want to work, and what skills you have. For some reason they like people with previous experience. I don't know why, it's just a retail job how much experience do you need? If any at all? Good luck getting hired here. I just wasn't picked. But they called me over 2 months later and kept me on the phone for over 20 minutes because they were trying to find whoever looked at my application. I don't know why they didn't just find the person BEFORE they called me and wasted my time. Honestly, just don't apply here. It's a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• The hardest one for me was "When was a time you went out of your way to help a customer?"   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Interview

Applied online. Didn't hear back for weeks. Went to store to possibly apply in person, manager wrote down my name, and called me for interview 4 hours later. Simple questions: Are you still interested in cashier position? Are you available until closing time/weekends? Are any relatives working for Academy? What do you expect to be paid?

Interview Questions

• Didn't really know how to answer the question on how much to be paid. Since it was just an entry level job I expected to paid minimum wage.   Answer Question