Academy Sports & Outdoors

www.academy.com

Academy Sports & Outdoors Footwear Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Antonio, TX

I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in December 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was standard and the hiring staff was amazing. I would prep by reading the company history and also having all interview questions well memorized. This will be the key to landing the job and starting as soon as possible. They will work with anyone who is willing to work and give 100%.

Interview Question – Everything was fairly easy.   Answer Question

Greenville, SC

I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in June 2009.

Interview Details – I filled out an application and got a phone call to come in for an interview a few days later.

Interview Question – I honestly don't know, they were all basic questions at any interview.   Answer Question

Footwear Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received phone call about a week later for interview. Only one interview with department manager.

Interview Question – "What do you think would be the biggest task during your shift?"   View Answer

Footwear Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview Details – Phone interview went well; face to face was not to good but not to bad. The manager asked all your basic interview questions.

Interview Question – Why i dont go and work for the same industry i worked in the past?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, i wasn't able to negotiate. I needed a job asap and i had to take it.

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in August 2012.

Interview Details – The entire application process is online. The length of time it takes for a store to contact you after your application is based upon how desperately the company needs employees. The time range can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. There are two interviews: one by phone and one in person. The phone interview is a very informal interview in which they ask basic questions such as "Does anyone in your family work for academy?" or "Why do you want to work for academy?". After the initial interview, they will schedule an in-store interview. Make sure you dress nicely as it is one of the boxes they will check off on their checklist. There are about 10-12 questions they will ask with nothing too out of the ordinary. The interviewing manager tries to keep a casual atmosphere, often asking friendly, non-work related questions. Depending on the number of other applicants, they will offer you a job on the spot if you interview well.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were typical run of the mill questions   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in March 2010.

Interview Details – Apply via www.academy.com. After applying, based on if your resume is to their standard, very lax, they will call you back. It is better for you to call them first to show that you are interested in the position. I don't think they have changed up their interview structure, but it is one interview, and you either got the job or you did not. Dress in a polo shirt and black/khaki slacks. The work culture at my particular store is understood. I worked with many other college students that were trying to get their degrees. Most employees worked hard and played hard. It is definitely a fun place to work.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you went out of your way to help a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to up my pay from the minimum wage of $7.25 by stating that I have other retail store experience. I made $8.00 starting out.

Evans, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2011.

Interview Details – I put in an application about 1-2 months ago online. I had forgotten all about it and what I put an application in for. Received a phone call in May 2011. Arrived at interview about 5 days later. Hired right on the spot after a series of interview questions. The interview questions were pretty simple and I answered them to the best of my knowledge. They were basically just questions that help them get to understand who you are as a person. So you should just answer them as honestly as possible. First question was "Describe Yourself".
Other questions were "Name a time when you went up and above to make someone happy", "Name a time when you were apart of a team and half the group wasn't doing their share of work", "What do you do in your spare time? Hobbies?", "Have you ever played sports?", "What is your idea job, if money wasn't an object", "What are you planning on doing after you graduate college?", "When are you available?"

All of the questions are about you, just to help them see if you are the right person for the job you are considering.

Interview Questions

• Name a store you've been to that had bad customer service and why?   Answer Question
  • Name a store that you've been to that had good customer service and why   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – $7.50 / hr is the start.
Once you prove to them how good you are and that you take your job seriously, it will raise.

All newbies start part time on a 90 day trial. If an opportunity arises in the future for full time, you can take it.

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!