Academy Sports & Outdoors

Updated Nov 6, 2014

2.0

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

I applied online when I turned 18 I called up there and asked to speak with the manager he scheduled me a interview for the next day. When I arrived to my interview I went to the back and sat down with the manager. We basically talked about my availability and my experience. I got offered the job right there and he told me my pay rate and I signed my papers right after we got done interviewing. Its a cool job I just hated the footwear department. I'm very small and I am a female so I was basically the only girl working in the department and I had to life very heavy ladders all the time since I wasn't able to reach the top by myself.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time you were put in a difficult situation? How'd you handle it? and what was the outcome of the situation.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2014.

Initially, I received a call in which I was asked my availability and if I was already working (my answer: open availability and not currently working). Then I was asked if I could come in for an interview. I scheduled the interview for the next day and waited for a manager for a couple of minutes to start the interview process. Overall, there were behavioral questions and situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • A question that I have never received before but was asked during this interview: Tell me about a time that you received exceptional customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in December 2013.

The interview was standard and the hiring staff was amazing. I would prep by reading the company history and also having all interview questions well memorized. This will be the key to landing the job and starting as soon as possible. They will work with anyone who is willing to work and give 100%.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in June 2013.

Very easy interview. Only had 1 interview and got the job on the spot. Basic questions on customer service? Answer every question knowing that the customer is always right. I was hired for seasonal but if you do a great job you will be moved to part time.

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in April 2013.

Applied online, received phone call about a week later for interview. Only one interview with department manager.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you think would be the biggest task during your shift?"   View Answer

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Phone interview went well; face to face was not to good but not to bad. The manager asked all your basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why i dont go and work for the same industry i worked in the past?   View Answer
    No, i wasn't able to negotiate. I needed a job asap and i had to take it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in August 2012.

The entire application process is online. The length of time it takes for a store to contact you after your application is based upon how desperately the company needs employees. The time range can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. There are two interviews: one by phone and one in person. The phone interview is a very informal interview in which they ask basic questions such as "Does anyone in your family work for academy?" or "Why do you want to work for academy?". After the initial interview, they will schedule an in-store interview. Make sure you dress nicely as it is one of the boxes they will check off on their checklist. There are about 10-12 questions they will ask with nothing too out of the ordinary. The interviewing manager tries to keep a casual atmosphere, often asking friendly, non-work related questions. Depending on the number of other applicants, they will offer you a job on the spot if you interview well.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were typical run of the mill questions   Answer Question

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in June 2011.

Had a phone interview 2 weeks after I applied online. They asked availability questions and when I could come in for an in person interview. In this they asked scenario questions and recorded responses and said they would give a call as to wether they will proceed with me or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evans, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evans, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2011.

I put in an application about 1-2 months ago online. I had forgotten all about it and what I put an application in for. Received a phone call in May 2011. Arrived at interview about 5 days later. Hired right on the spot after a series of interview questions. The interview questions were pretty simple and I answered them to the best of my knowledge. They were basically just questions that help them get to understand who you are as a person. So you should just answer them as honestly as possible. First question was "Describe Yourself".
    Other questions were "Name a time when you went up and above to make someone happy", "Name a time when you were apart of a team and half the group wasn't doing their share of work", "What do you do in your spare time? Hobbies?", "Have you ever played sports?", "What is your idea job, if money wasn't an object", "What are you planning on doing after you graduate college?", "When are you available?"

All of the questions are about you, just to help them see if you are the right person for the job you are considering.

Interview Questions
    • Name a store you've been to that had bad customer service and why?   Answer Question
    • Name a store that you've been to that had good customer service and why   Answer Question
    $7.50 / hr is the start.
    Once you prove to them how good you are and that you take your job seriously, it will raise.

All newbies start part time on a 90 day trial. If an opportunity arises in the future for full time, you can take it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in March 2010.

Apply via www.academy.com. After applying, based on if your resume is to their standard, very lax, they will call you back. It is better for you to call them first to show that you are interested in the position. I don't think they have changed up their interview structure, but it is one interview, and you either got the job or you did not. Dress in a polo shirt and black/khaki slacks. The work culture at my particular store is understood. I worked with many other college students that were trying to get their degrees. Most employees worked hard and played hard. It is definitely a fun place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you went out of your way to help a customer.   Answer Question
    I was able to up my pay from the minimum wage of $7.25 by stating that I have other retail store experience. I made $8.00 starting out.