Academy Sports & Outdoors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

2.0

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I only had one interview. The manager was asking me what I would do if someone was angry, situational-type questions. The manager also asked me about school and what I wanted to do when I graduated. They like to see that you're determined to succeed in life. The team lead was also in the room just observing. The manager made me an offer after the interview. I only had to submit to a background check and wait for abor a week for that to fall through.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you came across an unreasonable customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offered me 8.50 and I took it.

Compliance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Katy, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

It was easy as I knew all the question they ask. Interview on the phone and then on video chat. Mostly easy question nothing to hard or had to think about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Athens, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

I think they asked me like one or 2 standard questions related to customer service. They spent most of the time telling me about the position and then offered it to me on the spot. At this store they've pretty much switched to only hiring people that are referred by another employee, so if you know someone there the interview is super easy.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember specifically. Standard retail questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, but another employee that started around the same time as me did and they got more money. I would definitely recommend negotiating to others. They ask your previous salaries on their application and then still offer you less than you made at other jobs so I would say ask for at least what you made previously if you worked in a similar job field.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview

Applied online within a week or two got a call from the manager and had a phone interview. After that was called in for an in person interview on Friday, July 13. The manager and team lead were in the room. Went over job requirements and description. Asked basic situational questions that were on here. Asked what job would I prefer. I said apparel. Said he would call Monday never did so I called him and he said there were a lot more interviews than they expected so he will call me Friday. I called back and got called in for a second interview. Got hired. Payed orientation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Fayetteville, AR).

Interview

i got a call over a month after I applied to see if I could come in for an interview. So that was annoying. But the interview was super easy, one on one with a manager who was nice and made it really comfortable. Questions are a standard for all stores that he read from. Things like what do you do when you have a lot of work at once w/ example, a time when you've given great customer service, dealing w/ difficult coworker, how do you know when you are doing a good job, etc

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you accomplished something and were not recognized for it? How did you deal with that? Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, just said you start at $7.50 and after 90 days it goes up a quarter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Jacksonville, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

The manager was extremely laid back and comfortable. Even though, the store was very busy at the time. The manager took me back to a small conference room where the interview was held.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a good experience you had with customer service. How would feel if you worked hard on a specific job, and didn't get any recognition? If you could be any superhero, who would it be?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was an seasonal position started out at 8.50 an hour. I could have made a counter but didn't since i already have a full time job.

Intern Interview

Interview

I applied through a campus career fair. My only interview was on the phone with the hiring manager. It was maybe 20 minutes long. The manager asked me very typical questions about my work experience, my course work and other random things. The manager also wanted examples about how I've worked in teams, in projects and other situations.

Merchandiser- Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Longview, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

One phone interview and one in store interview with the department manager. The phone interview was about fifteen minutes and very easy, just verified application information. The in store interview had all the past experience question that were read off of a piece of paper. This interview took about forty minutes because other managers were walking in and out of the room.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult work or school situation on which you had to do something you did not agree with.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given more than what I asked for due to my honesty and previous experience.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Concord, NC).

Interview

Standard interview questions. HR calls, in person with a store manager, then with the DM. The directors interview was the worst part. He was arrogant and demeaning. He gave a vibe that he thought he was better then you.

Interview Questions

• None. All standard questions that have been asked before.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They try to low ball you

Hardlines Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview

Submitted an application online with a 50 question personality test. Was called for an interview by the Store Director in less then a week. After the in-store interview I was called by HR for an interview. I was told later that the second interview can be by HR or a DM. A few days after the HR interview I was called in-store to sign an offer of employment. There was a background check, but no drug test.

Interview Questions

• There were several management level questions about how you changed/handled problems within your building.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not attempt to negotiate as it was considerably more then what I was making with Office Max at the time