Academy Sports & Outdoors Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.0

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (San Antonio, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I came in and asked for the hiring manager. Waited for about 10 minutes (because I was early). Went back into the training room and held a general meeting filling out my availability and part-time form.

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Palm Bay, FL) in December 2014.

Interview

Sat down with two people to interview. Very brief questions. Stay calm an relaxed while you are talking to them . They will call for a secomd interview with the manager if your choosen for employment

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Katy, TX).

Interview

HR scheduled an interview for me with several people, but only one was capable of being respectful enough to show up. An email and call to HR recruiting went unanswered for several days. Finally, I was told that interviewing was halted due to scheduling. This company clearly lies to candidates.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked questions in a regular interview style. Instead, the interviewer complained about the company and its past real estate decision making.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I only had one interview. The manager was asking me what I would do if someone was angry, situational-type questions. The manager also asked me about school and what I wanted to do when I graduated. They like to see that you're determined to succeed in life. The team lead was also in the room just observing. The manager made me an offer after the interview. I only had to submit to a background check and wait for abor a week for that to fall through.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you came across an unreasonable customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offered me 8.50 and I took it.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an phone interview approximately 6 weeks later. I was then invited to come in to the store for a face to face interview. The manager was very professional and polite. She gave me a very brisk walk through of the store ( Of course, she was in sneakers, I in heels) and then led me to a small office in the rear of the store.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel that you would be a good addition to our team?   1 Answer

Compliance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Katy, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

It was easy as I knew all the question they ask. Interview on the phone and then on video chat. Mostly easy question nothing to hard or had to think about.

Apparel Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Athens, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

I think they asked me like one or 2 standard questions related to customer service. They spent most of the time telling me about the position and then offered it to me on the spot. At this store they've pretty much switched to only hiring people that are referred by another employee, so if you know someone there the interview is super easy.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember specifically. Standard retail questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, but another employee that started around the same time as me did and they got more money. I would definitely recommend negotiating to others. They ask your previous salaries on their application and then still offer you less than you made at other jobs so I would say ask for at least what you made previously if you worked in a similar job field.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview

Applied online within a week or two got a call from the manager and had a phone interview. After that was called in for an in person interview on Friday, July 13. The manager and team lead were in the room. Went over job requirements and description. Asked basic situational questions that were on here. Asked what job would I prefer. I said apparel. Said he would call Monday never did so I called him and he said there were a lot more interviews than they expected so he will call me Friday. I called back and got called in for a second interview. Got hired. Payed orientation.

Merchandiser- Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Longview, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

One phone interview and one in store interview with the department manager. The phone interview was about fifteen minutes and very easy, just verified application information. The in store interview had all the past experience question that were read off of a piece of paper. This interview took about forty minutes because other managers were walking in and out of the room.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult work or school situation on which you had to do something you did not agree with.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given more than what I asked for due to my honesty and previous experience.

Apparel Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Fayetteville, AR).

Interview

i got a call over a month after I applied to see if I could come in for an interview. So that was annoying. But the interview was super easy, one on one with a manager who was nice and made it really comfortable. Questions are a standard for all stores that he read from. Things like what do you do when you have a lot of work at once w/ example, a time when you've given great customer service, dealing w/ difficult coworker, how do you know when you are doing a good job, etc

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you accomplished something and were not recognized for it? How did you deal with that? Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, just said you start at $7.50 and after 90 days it goes up a quarter.