Academy Sports & Outdoors

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.1

Hunting/Fishing Associate Interview

Pretty easy was hired on the spot. Interview was done by the hiring manager over fishing/hunting , lasted 10min tops was simple and basic. There is no drug test just background check

Some room

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Applied online and got called all in 5 days. Started with a phone interview with simple questions, just why you want to work there and to tell a little about yourself. At the end of the phone interview they schedule you for an in person interview. The in person interview wasn't bad, asked how you would handle a difficult customer, experience working with a team, and if you play/played sports or do outdoor activities. I originally applied to be a cashier, but they asked me if I would be more comfortable as a cashier or a team sports sales associate, and I went for team sports. They hired me on the spot. They said they usually hire more people during the summer. I was then told that I would receive an email asking to accept a background check, which was sent the day after the interview. After I accepted, the background check is cleared and human resources will call you in to fill out paperwork. That took 5 days total.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you failed at and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    They ask what you expect to be payed. I said 7.50, they offered me 8.00.

Hunting/Fishing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Pretty simple interview, asked questions of why should they hire you and what you can bring. Also asked what was your former job like if you had any. They than went through what they expect from you and how their company is run. If you ever had a retail interview before it's pretty much the same.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't any unexpected question, it's very straight foward   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Applied online. Didn't hear back for weeks. Went to store to possibly apply in person, manager wrote down my name, and called me for interview 4 hours later. Simple questions: Are you still interested in cashier position? Are you available until closing time/weekends? Are any relatives working for Academy? What do you expect to be paid?

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really know how to answer the question on how much to be paid. Since it was just an entry level job I expected to paid minimum wage.   Answer Question

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2014.

Initially, I received a call in which I was asked my availability and if I was already working (my answer: open availability and not currently working). Then I was asked if I could come in for an interview. I scheduled the interview for the next day and waited for a manager for a couple of minutes to start the interview process. Overall, there were behavioral questions and situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • A question that I have never received before but was asked during this interview: Tell me about a time that you received exceptional customer service.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2014.

Did an application online, got a call within a week , went in to do my interview with one of the head managers, it was really simple questions. Offered me the job on the spot

No negotiation

Team Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in May 2014.

Questions were not very difficult. Wanted to know if I could be a team-player and work in a fast-paced environment. Interview took about 20 minutes. The manager did not seem too eager since it was a retail position and jobs come and go very quickly. It was not an intimidating process however.

Interview Questions
    • Name a mistake you made in your last job and the steps you took to fix the mistake.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Was offered a base salary.

Apparel Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Applied Online. A week later i had a interview. Hired on spot

at orientation they told us we will all start at the same pay rate.(8.25).then after 3 months a raise.NOT.some people started off at 8 with EXPERIENCE. OTHERS STARTED OFF AT 8.35 TO 8.50,i guess IT DEPENDS on what manager interviews you.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

applyed - called to check if they received my application - got an interview - was hired.

Mobile Product Analyst Interview

one phone interview and one in person interview