Academy Sports & Outdoors

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chattanooga, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview Details – They do an initial phone screen about your availability, work history, and wages. If selected they will call u in for a face to face interview with the manager of the department your working with and the store director. They usual make there decision there. If they call u in they will usually hire you if there are a few applicants otherwise they will call u back in about three days. There is a lot of training on a computer. It tells u about the department your working in and selling techniques. There is no drug screen but there is a background check.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions just be prepared to answer questions about what customer service is to you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The more experience the more pay.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was called and recieved an interview the next day. It was a fairly formal interview with more traditional interview questions, however, they did also ask behavioral interview questions. I was called back for a second interview with a senior manager and this was more formal and behavioral oriented. They wanted to know what you have done in the past and how you've reacted to situations in the past. Overall it was average.

Interview Question – Behavioral Questions. Make sure you research and prepare answers for these behavioral interview questions.   Answer Question

Birmingham, AL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in October 2009.

Interview Details – I had tried one of the stores closest to me and they wouldn't schedule an interview because lack of retail experience. Got my foot in the door at another store through my daughter who worked there. Once I interviewed I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – None really, typical interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't much of a negotiation. Though I was hired at a low rate since I had no retail experience. Found out others hired after me, with no retail experience, got hired at a higher hourly wage.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call approximately one week later. I was interviewed on site by the operations manager who was very friendly and professional. I was asked about my related experience and also was asked several "What would you do in this situation" type questions. It was the first day of interviews for the new store, so I did not expect to receive an offer on the spot. She told me to expect to hear from her within two weeks.

Interview Questions

Team Lead Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in January 2009.

Interview Details – Shot gun ad for new store, two interviews, awesome staff, super friendly, and honest...

Interview Question – How often is it acceptable for an employee to show up late for work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They threw a figure out, I asked for .15 more, and got it!

Interviews for Top Jobs at Academy Sports & Outdoors

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Academy Sports & Outdoors Team Lead interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Academy Sports & Outdoors employees and interview candidates.