Academy Sports & Outdoors Team Sports Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Very easy and straightforward. Met with what I think was store manager. He took us back to a room at the back of the store for the interview. He talked a few minutes about Academy before going into his questions.

Interview Questions

• Name an example of how you gave good customer service?   Answer Question

The pay was not enough and was only offering part time.

Other Interview Reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Interview

Applied online and got called all in 5 days. Started with a phone interview with simple questions, just why you want to work there and to tell a little about yourself. At the end of the phone interview they schedule you for an in person interview. The in person interview wasn't bad, asked how you would handle a difficult customer, experience working with a team, and if you play/played sports or do outdoor activities. I originally applied to be a cashier, but they asked me if I would be more comfortable as a cashier or a team sports sales associate, and I went for team sports. They hired me on the spot. They said they usually hire more people during the summer. I was then told that I would receive an email asking to accept a background check, which was sent the day after the interview. After I accepted, the background check is cleared and human resources will call you in to fill out paperwork. That took 5 days total.

Interview Questions

• What is something you failed at and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They ask what you expect to be payed. I said 7.50, they offered me 8.00.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Webster, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

I was called 2 weeks after I submitted my application online and was informed what was going on and how many hours I would be looking at (~28) weekly. I was asked my pay range and based on my experience, I said $8.25-8.75 (be reasonable from your own experience - I have 4 1/2 years retail experience and played sports in the past). I asked how early and late the shifts would be. I was told anywhere from 7am to 11pm with shifts in between.

I came in the next day for an interview with the Lead of Team Sports, Hunting & Fishing, and [one other department]. I was interviewed in a separate room and was given scenarios and was asked to compare those scenarios with past experiences. Pretty simple. I was told that even though I was going to be hired as part-time for my first 90 days, I could always pick up shifts and work full-time. After my 90 days, I would get a review; and if everything goes great, I would be labeled as full-time.

I was awarded the higher end of my wage request ($8.75/hr) and got my paperwork finished when I came back later that day.

I let them know that I was still with my current employer so my first day is in 6 days while my 2 weeks notice takes in effect at my current employer..

Interview Questions

• Given scenarios and was asked to compare those scenarios with past experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was awarded the higher end of my wage request ($8.75/hr)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dothan, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Dothan, AL) in February 2013.

Interview

After you apply they give you a call to come in for an interview. The interview is a normal one and pretty quick. There is no negotiation. Pay is minimum wage even with over 7 years of experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation at all. Minimum wage even with over 7 years experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Little Rock, AR) in September 2012.

Interview

The hiring process did not last long at all, probably about one week including orientation but that is not for everyone some employees process took longer

Interview Questions

• How would I deal with an already mad costumer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They ask if I was okay with the hourly rate they presented to me and I accepted. I think it was possible to negotiate but I did not try to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange Park, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Orange Park, FL) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online and received a response within a week. I was asked to come in and meet with the Team Sports Department Manager. The interview consisted of questions about my work history as well as scenario-based queries and ethical questions. I was offered the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a conflict with a co-worker?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked to have hours that would allow me to learn all aspects of the retail business, which was granted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Lubbock, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

2 one on one interviews with managers. Get to know you kind of questions. Simple. Easy. Casual. Fast

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They will try to get you for minimum wage but you can negotiate

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in August 2011.

Interview

You pretty much just need to keep calling them. They Always need people, as turnover is high. I see a new person practically every week. They will not however go out of their way to call you in most cases, so keep on them about hiring you. It is recommended that you show up to your interview in business casual or better. Full business attire is not necessary as you will not ever wear it again in this position. Khakis and a polo will suffice and make them happy. Beards, as a side note, are generally well accepted at this company, so no worries there.

Interview Questions

• Questions really aren't hard if you're a smart intelligent individual. You just need to be a hard worker and be honest and what not and you'll be fine. It's a plus if you actually like the stuff you'll be selling, as they really seem to like that in interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negotiate pay to a point, but don't expect to get more than 8.50/hr. Not much else to negotiate for a part time job. You do what they ask, clean up the store and help customers. That's not really negotiable.

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors in March 2011.

Interview

Submitted online app and got a call about 2 weeks later to come in for a interview with a manager. Asked simple questions like what do you know ie what sports do you know about because I app'd for the team sports department.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I have given a wage higher than minimum wage, but I believe now everyone starts at minimum

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesquite, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Academy Sports & Outdoors (Mesquite, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

This is pretty much an entry level job, only basic questions were asked.
    "Are you available weekends?"
    "Are you available to work any shift?"
    "Do you have any problems lifting heavy objects?"
    "Are you available to work holidays?"
    The entire thing took about 10 minutes, Later on in the week you will be called back to do training "modules" on the computer that teach you all about the items you will be selling. Pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They already had the rate set in stone.