Academy of Art University

www.academyart.edu

Academy of Art University Admissions Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Feb 10, 2014

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Admissions Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview Details – The interview process for this position was very lengthy. Several phone/Skype interviews. I actually was in town and set-up a time to meet with the staff in the office. Interview was the same as phone interviews - same questions. I heard back the following week with a decline.

I was very proactive and really tried to express my passion and commitment to the position, how willing I was to move, etc etc.

Interview Question – Your background is in the sciences, how do you think this will affect your ability to connect with Arts students?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview Details – I interviewed for this position via Skype, as I did not live in the immediate area, and had to sit for three Skype interviews and one in-person interview total. Once I arrived for my in-person interview, they were running late, and never bothered to notify me if I did indeed get the job in the time they specified. I had to continuously email them, and was finally given my answer by their automated email service.

Interview Question – What kind of candy do you like most in the world? Ok, now sale me that piece of candy. (unexpected)   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University in May 2012.

Interview Details – -got a call within a week
-short 10 minute phone interview
-interview with HR
-interview with COO
-got a call within the next 2 days
-the whole process was about 2-3 weeks
-paid 3 week training

Interview Question – -"Our students are not like ordinary students. They're artists and they think different. How would you handle that?"   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University in January 2012.

Interview Details – Found out about the position through a third party hiring agency and had an initial phone with them. It lasted about 20 minutes. The next interview was recorded through Skype and also conducted with the hiring agency. They submitted the video responses to AAU, and then they called me in for two in person interviews in San Francisco.

Interview Question – Really nothing I hadn't prepared for by researching the company and general position responsibilities! The final two women that I met with were very rude and the interview lasted 5 minutes.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University in February 2013.

Interview Details – I had a quick skype interview that was basic interview questions. They asked me if I understood the position I was applying for, which I didn't completely but they were able to explain it better and didn't hold it against me. I had an in person interview the next week and it went fine but I could tell it wasn't great. They asked me what type work enviornment I wanted to work with and similar questions. Although they try to mask it as something else, the position is ultimatly a sales position.

Interview Question – Role play talking to a prospective student on the phone. How would you find out about the type of art they do?   View Answer

Admissions Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview Details – Initally went to the job fair - was contacted by another recruiter to go to the interview. Had several phone interviews and a panel interview. I was asked to do a lot of role playing - pretending I was calling the student.

Interview Question – How would you respond to a student who is very shy over the phone? What would you say?   Answer Question

Admissions Representative

I applied online and interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews with this company. All fairly standard. The first was a phone interview with the recruiter and then a second in person interview with the same recruiter who was very nice and personable. The third was with someone who I was never quite clear what her role was nor did she introduced herself until I asked. I didn't get the same friendly treatment from the third interviewer. I also didn't get an offer, or a courtesy call or email letting me know. Just never another word after the 3rd interview.

Interview Question – Role-play question. Ugh!   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview Details – Attended a job fair/mess which I signed up for after seeing their listing on craigslist. My background and qualifications matched what they were looking for and signed up for their event. Got email confirmation and was given the details.

From the minute I walked in, I knew it was going to be bad. A room full of potential candidates looking for jobs. Should have trusted my instincts and just turned around and left.

It was VERY unorganized and it seemed they had more people signing up or just walking in from the streets to their job fair than they expected. What was shocking is that they had only 3 people from HR doing the interviews. Had everyone fill out applications and wait. Did I mention wait? But lucky us, they had a video playing and catalogs so we can read how great the "school" is. Some waited well over 1.5 hrs, but luckily me, only 1.25 hrs (rolls eyes).

When my name was finally called, I was brought to another room to talk to a recruiter. The guy was complaining about his long day and how he hadn't had lunch yet, as we were walking to the room. He literally glanced at my resume and asked a couple questions and rushed the 1:1 interview as he looked tired from his day of interviewing. I wasn't even allowed to ask a question. *Poof* the interview was done, not even 5 minutes. My whole day wasted at the Academy of Art.

Funny, I bumped into another person who attended the event on my way out of the building and we just shared the horrible experience with one another. All you can do is just laugh.

Interview Question – None. Asked two questions. Why do you want to work here? What do you know about our company?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Academy of Art University in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online for a few different positions for which I am not only qualified, but over-qualified. Anyways, got an email asking if I would be interested in the Admissions Rep. position, I emailed back, basically saying thanks but no thanks..they called a week later regardless of this disinterest.. So I figure, OK, maybe I should give em' a shot, maybe it won't be so bad? Ehh....

By the way, I completely failed that phone interview. I mean, wrecked it. I was completely thrown off by the on the spot interview. It consisted of some background questions, "Who were some of the most difficult types of students you dealt with" blah blah. I wasn't sure if I even wanted the position, and it totally came off that way, but STILL, I was granted an interview, so of course, I accepted. :)

So I go to SF and interview with a pretty nice lady. I'll be honest, I didn't get a school vibe from this chick at all. Business all the way. Cut-throat with a smile. Yikes. Anywho, she asked me all the stuff previously mentioned, "Why our school?" and a lot of repetitious crap from the phone interview. A lot of questions asking how I would deal with shy or introverted students. From this question came role play..YAY. So she acts like a disinterested student, claiming she is merely "introverted", and asks how I would motivate this individual. I stop the role play at some point and tell her that she sounds terribly disinterested and pushing on seems a bit forced, and then it hit me, FORCED, THAT'S WHAT SHE WANTS, SHE DOESN'T WANT THIS STUDENT TO DECIDE ON THEIR OWN TIME WHEN TO START SCHOOL; EMPOWERMENT? WHY LET THEM DECIDE? PUSH PUSH PUSH.

I asked during the interview what the cut-off is for calling a student when they repeatedly don't answer their phone, she dodged and sugar-coated saying, "It's all about closure," Decoded for those of you who don't speak BS, this means "Call until you get a solid no or yes, even if this takes 439390 calls, DO IT"

What's perhaps the worst is the exploitation of artists and their mind-set during the whole interview. She kept claiming that artists consistently need guidance and prodding in order to fulfill their goals. As if all artists get so caught up in their work they forget all about school. I know plenty of artists who went to school and loved every minute of it. If a student lacks the ambition to enroll in classes, who the hell am I to force them to do so? But students = money, and they want it, so yeah.

Don't sell your soul, cats. Do good. Do right.

Interview Questions

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Academy of Art University in August 2011.

Interview Details – A recruiter called me very shortly after I submitted an application, and conducted a very brief phone interview. She was very nice and polite. She gave me a brief description of the position, and asked me at least twice if it still seems like something I would be interested in. She set up date for me to meet with another recruiter in person.
The 1:1 interview took about half an hour. This new person was very pleasant as well; very informative about the position, careful listener, great conversational skills; asked good questions, and answered mine very well. She set up a second interview for me to meet with senior management.
Senior management .... awful. Extremely unprofessional and rude. The interview took 20 minutes. I was interviewed by two women, one of them being COO of Admissions. The COO did not even pretend to be paying attention: she made virtually no eye contact with me, and literally sat with her chin in her fist staring at the wall behind me most of the time. They both kept arguing with me when I said that a certain skill I use in my current job is relatable to this position. When I asked if my understanding of this position as somewhat of sales job was correct, they said "No!" and started asking me which one of the recruiters gave me that impression; this was a bit uncomfortable because they asked it in a way that made me feel like I would get the poor woman in trouble by giving her name. Then they gave me the signal that my time was up, and that someone would be in touch if I get the position. As I stood there thanking them for their time and saying my goodbyes, one of them turned to the other and said, "ok, which one is next?" I wasn't even to the door yet!
What still blows my mind about that experience is, how does somebody get to be COO of any place without having even the most elementary grasp of basic etiqutte?

Interview Question – How would you convince a young person who's not sure what to do with his life that the Academy is the right place for him?   Answer Question

Worked for Academy of Art University? Contribute to the Community!