Academy of Art University Admissions Representative Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2015

2.8

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

The interview process for this position was very lengthy. Several phone/Skype interviews. I actually was in town and set-up a time to meet with the staff in the office. Interview was the same as phone interviews - same questions. I heard back the following week with a decline. I was very proactive and really tried to express my passion and commitment to the position, how willing I was to move, etc etc.

Interview Questions

• Your background is in the sciences, how do you think this will affect your ability to connect with Arts students?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Academy of Art University

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed for this position via Skype, as I did not live in the immediate area, and had to sit for three Skype interviews and one in-person interview total. Once I arrived for my in-person interview, they were running late, and never bothered to notify me if I did indeed get the job in the time they specified. I had to continuously email them, and was finally given my answer by their automated email service.

Interview Questions

• What kind of candy do you like most in the world? Ok, now sale me that piece of candy. (unexpected)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

-1 month time frame -phone interview/screening followed by a panel and additional individual meetings -background took quite some time -when discussing benefits they avoid going into specific details and often leave certain details out, like Saturday work days -training is about a month long, with exams that determine whether or not you can move forward in your position -real understanding happens when you are on the floor

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

Initally went to the job fair - was contacted by another recruiter to go to the interview. Had several phone interviews and a panel interview. I was asked to do a lot of role playing - pretending I was calling the student.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to a student who is very shy over the phone? What would you say?   Answer Question

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

I had 3 interviews with this company. All fairly standard. The first was a phone interview with the recruiter and then a second in person interview with the same recruiter who was very nice and personable. The third was with someone who I was never quite clear what her role was nor did she introduced herself until I asked. I didn't get the same friendly treatment from the third interviewer. I also didn't get an offer, or a courtesy call or email letting me know. Just never another word after the 3rd interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

I had a quick skype interview that was basic interview questions. They asked me if I understood the position I was applying for, which I didn't completely but they were able to explain it better and didn't hold it against me. I had an in person interview the next week and it went fine but I could tell it wasn't great. They asked me what type work enviornment I wanted to work with and similar questions. Although they try to mask it as something else, the position is ultimatly a sales position.

Interview Questions

• Role play talking to a prospective student on the phone. How would you find out about the type of art they do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Attended a job fair/mess which I signed up for after seeing their listing on craigslist. My background and qualifications matched what they were looking for and signed up for their event. Got email confirmation and was given the details. From the minute I walked in, I knew it was going to be bad. A room full of potential candidates looking for jobs. Should have trusted my instincts and just turned around and left. It was VERY unorganized and it seemed they had more people signing up or just walking in from the streets to their job fair than they expected. What was shocking is that they had only 3 people from HR doing the interviews. Had everyone fill out applications and wait. Did I mention wait? But lucky us, they had a video playing and catalogs so we can read how great the "school" is. Some waited well over 1.5 hrs, but luckily me, only 1.25 hrs (rolls eyes). When my name was finally called, I was brought to another room to talk to a recruiter. The guy was complaining about his long day and how he hadn't had lunch yet, as we were walking to the room. He literally glanced at my resume and asked a couple questions and rushed the 1:1 interview as he looked tired from his day of interviewing. I wasn't even allowed to ask a question. *Poof* the interview was done, not even 5 minutes. My whole day wasted at the Academy of Art. Funny, I bumped into another person who attended the event on my way out of the building and we just shared the horrible experience with one another. All you can do is just laugh.

Interview Questions

• None. Asked two questions. Why do you want to work here? What do you know about our company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied online for a few different positions for which I am not only qualified, but over-qualified. Anyways, got an email asking if I would be interested in the Admissions Rep. position, I emailed back, basically saying thanks but no thanks..they called a week later regardless of this disinterest.. So I figure, OK, maybe I should give em' a shot, maybe it won't be so bad? Ehh.... By the way, I completely failed that phone interview. I mean, wrecked it. I was completely thrown off by the on the spot interview. It consisted of some background questions, "Who were some of the most difficult types of students you dealt with" blah blah. I wasn't sure if I even wanted the position, and it totally came off that way, but STILL, I was granted an interview, so of course, I accepted. :) So I go to SF and interview with a pretty nice lady. I'll be honest, I didn't get a school vibe from this chick at all. Business all the way. Cut-throat with a smile. Yikes. Anywho, she asked me all the stuff previously mentioned, "Why our school?" and a lot of repetitious crap from the phone interview. A lot of questions asking how I would deal with shy or introverted students. From this question came role play..YAY. So she acts like a disinterested student, claiming she is merely "introverted", and asks how I would motivate this individual. I stop the role play at some point and tell her that she sounds terribly disinterested and pushing on seems a bit forced, and then it hit me, FORCED, THAT'S WHAT SHE WANTS, SHE DOESN'T WANT THIS STUDENT TO DECIDE ON THEIR OWN TIME WHEN TO START SCHOOL; EMPOWERMENT? WHY LET THEM DECIDE? PUSH PUSH PUSH. I asked during the interview what the cut-off is for calling a student when they repeatedly don't answer their phone, she dodged and sugar-coated saying, "It's all about closure," Decoded for those of you who don't speak BS, this means "Call until you get a solid no or yes, even if this takes 439390 calls, DO IT" What's perhaps the worst is the exploitation of artists and their mind-set during the whole interview. She kept claiming that artists consistently need guidance and prodding in order to fulfill their goals. As if all artists get so caught up in their work they forget all about school. I know plenty of artists who went to school and loved every minute of it. If a student lacks the ambition to enroll in classes, who the hell am I to force them to do so? But students = money, and they want it, so yeah. Don't sell your soul, cats. Do good. Do right.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

-got a call within a week -short 10 minute phone interview -interview with HR -interview with COO -got a call within the next 2 days -the whole process was about 2-3 weeks -paid 3 week training

Interview Questions

• -"Our students are not like ordinary students. They're artists and they think different. How would you handle that?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Found out about the position through a third party hiring agency and had an initial phone with them. It lasted about 20 minutes. The next interview was recorded through Skype and also conducted with the hiring agency. They submitted the video responses to AAU, and then they called me in for two in person interviews in San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• Really nothing I hadn't prepared for by researching the company and general position responsibilities! The final two women that I met with were very rude and the interview lasted 5 minutes.   Answer Question