Academy of Art University Interview Questions & Reviews

74 interviews

2.7

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Academy of Art University in July 2014.

I applied for the Undergraduate Admissions Representative position online. Within a few days, I was contacted by a recruiter via email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of the recruiter providing background information on the university, position, and projected salary. I was asked to go over my resume and explain my reasoning and interest in working for the organization. I was also asked to provide examples of how my experiences fit the role. Throughout the interview, the recruiter was professional and friendly. The person asked questions that were fair and appropriate for the position .

After the resume overview, one is directed to ask any questions they have about the position. During the interview, I asked a number of questions which helped me determine the position was actually for a salesperson and not a student counselor or advisor role. Based on the helpful information, I was able to make the accurate decision to decline an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions during the interview. The interviews questions were standard.   Answer Question

I declined an on-site interview offer because the Undergraduate Admissions Representative position is the equivalent of an Account Representative / Account Manager title in a traditional sales department. I was not interested in a sales position.

Online Content Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University in July 2014.

I applied online and received an email a day or two later, requesting a phone interview. The lady on the phone was very nice and asked some standard questions to see if I was a good fit.

She then offered me an in-person interview which was held two days later. I was interviewed by the director and the department manager. It was not organized well. There was no room available for the interview. After walking through the building to find a room, we went back to the lobby and conducted the interview there.

Both very friendly and nice but none of them had seriously read my resume. Basic information about myself were apparently perceived wrong so I had to clarify. It was then, when I started suspecting they actually don't think I was a good fit. The manager tried to make a case that my interest in languages exceeds the requirements for the job, that I was over-qualified somehow, I guess. That is despite the fact that I had more than four years experience in exactly that field. They said it was an entry-level position so I really did not understand questioning my motivation to apply.

We then went on to the transcription test, to "see if you can do the job". There was little introduction but I was asked to transcribe a short excerpt from a graphic design lesson. It was a simple task. He said I would have ten minutes, however it was more like five minutes. I know because I only transcribed about five minutes with maybe a minute to replay some passages that were hard to understand. He then asked me to revise and proofread what I wrote, this time without any time limit. I did so and then said I was ready. After that he just sent me home.

A week later I got an email that they have decided to go with somebody else.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or difficult questions except they asked if I had any experience in copy editing which was not a prerequisite in the job description.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Academy of Art University in March 2010.

This process was very easy, the HR group are very nice and explained the process very well, the interview was a little strange, the hiring manager was in the room with the HR person, the hiring manager didn't speak, the HR person asked the questions from a list of questions.

Easy, they gave me exactly what I asked for.

The hiring ad was on Craigslist, first submit the resume through email, then a phone interview. The first round interview is about 10 minutes. I think the hiring ad is quite specific about the requirement, so it worth while to read it thoroughly and find out hoe much the match can be.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this job? Why do you leave you current job?   Answer Question

Academy Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University in April 2014.

one phone interview, one skype interview, and one in person interview. Took 4 weeks to complete process and they seemed like the were making it a lengthy process intentionally. It was exciting but stressful at the same time

Interview Questions
    • Had to complete 4 academic tests. Had to answer "What do you expect out of management" and other questions related.   Answer Question
    Wasn't able to negotiate.

Undergraduate Admissions Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Usually a minimum of 3 interviews, phone screen, in person HR, and in person hiring manager. It is important to demonstrate your passion for the arts and education and putting the student first.

Interview Questions
    • Role playing questions. I luckily had worked in higher education admissions previously which helped me to know what type of answer they were looking for, although it's really about engaging with the student and being able to overcome obstacles   Answer Question

Gallery Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Senior manager did not show up to scheduled interview. Major let down. Many of my questions left unanswered. Without the senior staff member available to speak the interview felt incomplete. Upon requesting another chance or any opportunity to speak with her, I was ignored entirely by HR.

Interview Questions
    • I ask: Which aspect of the role is most critical to operations?
      Response: It doesn't matter. It can be really dead sometimes, so what will you do with your time?
        Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University in March 2014.

Submitted a resume and cover letter online. Two days later I received an email requesting additional information - 4 interview questions, and desired salary & start date. I also completed a 1/2 hour phone interview, a 1/2 hour Skype interview and a test on grammer/proofreading, Excel and Word (took about 2 hours to complete). Finally called in to an in person interview with the head of the department about 3 weeks after my initial submission. The head of the department was not prepared for an interview and asked me no questions about myself or professional experience - spent the whole time complaining about the current support staff. She asked me to come in for further interviews with her staff and said she would contact me directly and I never heard from anyone at the Academy of Art again.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions, but it was difficult to "sell" myself to the hiring manager because she spent the whole time talking!   Answer Question

Undergraduate Admissions Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Phone screen with a recruiter who was nice, interview with HR who was personable and friendly, final interview with the two directors of admissions. Directors were boring in comparison and had a sales mentality. HR did not share similar views about the position so when the directors explained, it was a surprise.

Instructotr Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at Academy of Art University in October 2010.

Not in debt at all.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiating.

Worked for Academy of Art University? Contribute to the Community!