Academy of Art University Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2015

2.7

Admissions Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

initial phone screen...as long as you can answer some basic sales oriented questions then you move on the another recruiter who has you come In for a face to face...if all good then you interview with director of admissions

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the university   1 Answer

Negotiation

Room for negotiation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online, got a phone interview within a week, and scheduled in-person interview within a month. The interview was conducted in HR with a follow up with Student Affairs over the span of a few days in SF.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage things when your manager isn't around?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

The first stage is a 15 minute phone interview, and if they are still interested in you after the phone interview you are invited for an in-person interview. The in-person interview is one on one for about 30 minutes, and it was a very pleasant experience. They are definitely focused on finding someone who is able to effectively communicate over the phone, so I would not apply if this is something you do not enjoy.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel confident and comfortable contacting potentially interested students over the phone?   Answer Question

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job awhile ago and then forgot about it, because it took about a month until I heard anything.

The recruiter seemed great, she was easy to speak to, understood where I was coming from and thought that I would be a great fit for the job. I did too, that's why I applied.

The first step was a telephone interview with the recruiter, that went well. The next step was an in-person interview with the recruiter a couple of days later. She took lots of notes, again told me she thought I was a great fit and then she scheduled me for an in-person interview, for the next day, with the woman who would be my boss if I got the job.

The morning of the interview the recruiter called me and told me that she needed more information, because the woman I was interviewing with was questioning my resume and whether or not I had call center experience. Keep in mind I stated, many times, in both interviews with the recruiter, that no I had never managed call center staff, but had managed support staff, for many years, in an environment where help was requested via telephone, email, a ticketing system, etc.

Now running a bit behind due to the last minute phone call I went over for my next interview. During the interview I had the overwhelming feeling that the woman could not wait to get me out of her office and had zero interest in me. It was extremely uncomfortable and by the end of the interview (a whopping 20 minutes) I couldn't wait to get out of there myself.

After I came home I wrote a follow-up email to the recruiter thanking her for setting up the interview and asking her to please let me know the outcome either way. Zero response!

As they were looking to fill the position within a week and I've heard nothing I can only assume that I didn't get the position. It would have been nice to receive an email letting me know that they went with another candidate, but that didn't happen, which I find very unprofessional (not to mention the last minute call and the fact that the woman at the call center having zero interest in me). I did read several reviews on Glassdoor about this same thing happening (i.e. apply, interview, hear nothing) and now I know it to be true.

I've been the hiring manager several times and if someone takes the time to come in and interview with me I take the time to send them an email at the very least.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked at a call center?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied to a call center position and was contacted the next day. I spoke to the recruiter on the phone and she was great at answering my questions and telling me about the job. I came for an in person interview with the recruiter the follwing week and met the managers right after. Both of these interviews were very detailed, thet asked lots of questions. I then recieved a call the next day to do references and I have since started my new job. The experience was very smooth and quick!

Digital Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First had a phone screening with a recruiter. From there, I was moved to the next stage of the interview process, which was an in-person panel discussion with a manger and lead technician. Overall, it was an extremely easy interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about photography? How would you deal with foreign language students? How many years have you been shooting photos? Do you have experience working with digital printers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Academy of Art University in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through linkedin. Was denied first application. Was then called for a job that better suited my qualifications. Short easy phone interview. Was then called in for second interview with HR head. A very easy interview, most lead by my questions. There will be a third interview with direct suoervisiers this week if choosen from applicants.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

I was contacted by the Recruiter via phone. We scheduled a phone interview which went well and then an in person interview. The Recruiter sounded super nice over the phone and said that if this position wasn't a fit- she would find something that might be a better fit, so it seemed hopeful.
    I came into the office and a peculiar thing: the candidates that were interviewing for this position were sitting waiting for their interview time, seems they schedule it similar to a casting call.
    Everything went well, but towards the middle of the interview her questions felt like she was demeaning and asking why I am even applying for this position. I didn't feel like this was relative to my interview. I worked for a similar educational for type of environment and the recruiting process is the opposite. I decided that whether or not I was going to get the position I would definitely pass, the Recruiter was not professional, and this would parallel the organization. The Recruiter did not even follow up to let me know the results either.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel like your past experience relates to this job?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Academy of Art University.

Interview

Applied on website, but the site was having glitches, so I followed up with the Recruiting Assistant who posted the position on LinkedIn, he graciously offered to forward my resume on. About a week or so later I heard from the Recruiter to arrange a phone interview. She was very nice, responsive to emails and seemed to have really read my resume and understood my track. This was just before Thanksgiving, so I didn't expect things to move quickly.

But I heard back that the VP of this unit wanted to interview with me about 2 weeks later, so I agreed working around her strict schedule. Then the Recruiter contacted me the day before the interview to cancel as the VP was no longer available. So we re-scheduled for a date about a week later, but as soon as I arrived and was waiting in the lobby the Recruiter informed me that the VP cancelled again last minute, but no explanation, etc. The Recruiter still met with me for a few minutes, we had already discussed my background on the phone, and she didn't know the details of the position, so I couldn't ask any questions. She said she would find out the VP's availability to re-schedule "again" but never heard from them again. I followed up with the Recruiter immediately with a calm and friendly thank you note and asking for the next interview date, but still nothing.

As I'm still new in my current role and don't have a flexible schedule (which I explained very well to the Recruiter), it was very difficult to arrange this time off work, specially twice, and then to not even be interviewed was completely unacceptable. I had heard very negative things through former employees, etc. about the lack of seriousness, it being just a tuition factory and there being no focus on student services or staff development, but I decided to form my own opinion. I still can't believe that such a public entity who already has a bad reputation is still doing nothing to improve that, seemingly both internally and externally. So now two months later and still nothing, I am counting my blessings that I never heard back as the is says everything about this so called "university" which is more of a real estate venture.

Interview Questions

• Mostly just that the Recruiter didn't seem familiar with the position, international student services, visas, or the details of the department, so it what somewhat difficult to talk about my experience.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Academy of Art University in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview two days later. That was pretty brief, with an overview of some of my experience and of this position. She told me the pay is $13/hour, that night and weekend shifts are pretty much required, and that it's a position contracted for each semester. She asked if that was all okay, I said yes, and she set up an in-person interview with HR for me. That interview was pretty straight-forward, mainly reviewing my resume and me talking about my experience. I was told this interview would be just 30 minutes with her, but that went well so they sent me to another site to meet with the photo lab managers. Luckily I had free time that afternoon because the process unexpectedly took about 2 hours. The in-depth technical interview with the actual photo hiring managers was much more difficult and they had a lot of specific questions about my experience with equipment. Before we sat down for the interview, they showed me around the facilities and explained a lot of what I would be doing. They seemed pretty nice and I could tell it was going well. Toward the end they showed me the perks--a nice shirt and jacket uniform, a key card, and he said I would be getting health insurance, which makes sense because the job is full-time. The original woman I interviewed on the phone with called me back that afternoon to offer me the position and she also informed me, however, that the job does not include health benefits because it is "part time." Although it's a minimum of 40 hours per week, you don't working for the entire period between semesters and need to be rehired, so they're able to label it part time. That was on a Thursday and I took the weekend to think about it, ultimately informing her on Monday that I was going to turn it down.

Interview Questions

• They asked about whether or not I had used various types of equipment and specifically which ones, like lighting, C-stands, cameras, etc.   1 Answer

It's a full-time job but they found a loophole to label it part-time and not give their workers health benefits. This was a red flag to me about how they value their employees.