AccuWeather.COM Interview Questions

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at AccuWeather.COM

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at AccuWeather.COM (State College, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews and one face to face. I had to email HR to find out if the job position was filled a number of weeks after the interview, yet I never got any reply.

Interview Questions

• Basically what technologies I've worked with along with one's that I don't know much of.   Answer Question

Meteorologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AccuWeather.COM.

Interview

First there were 2 or 3 phone interviews where they try to get to know you, what motivates you, and your meteorological knowledge. If you make it through, you are invited down to their headquarters for an in person interview. The in person interview lasts all day. There was me and one other potential hire being interviewed together in the same day. First we did a typing test, followed by a two day forecast for a selected city. They give you ~20min to do the forecast, you do it on their computers. They said we would discuss the forecast later, but I never did... Then they bring you in the the "main" interview. They ask you general weather knowledge questions, metar questions, and questions on atmospheric dynamics. After lunch (they bring you out to a restaurant) you take a few tests. One is some kind of personality/ethical test another is more meteorological questions. It took them a long time to get back to me after the interview. I think they said they send out the personality/ethical test and it takes a few weeks at least to get the results back. Overall: questions on metar codes questions on climatology values. ie. temperatures records at locations and of course meteorological questions!

Interview Questions

• Explain why instability showers occur over mountains first. (They asked me to explain it two different ways)   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at AccuWeather.COM (State College, PA) in May 2013.

Interview

I was contacted through a recruiter first, then eventually I spoke over the phone at length with an HR representative, which went very well. After several weeks (five weeks to be exact) had passed, I was invited for on-site interviews. For the first hour, I met with two individuals who were very nice and seemed to be skilled in front-end design aspects. Then during the second hour, I met with two different individuals who were backend developers, which I found odd as I was there interviewing for a front end position. Following that, during my third hour, I skyped with the CIO over a laptop they brought in for me, which was a little insulting seeing how I drove over 2 hours to be there that day. It was really disappointing to have waited so long for an in-person interview (due to the challenge of trying to coordinate schedules with said CIO as I was told by the recruiter) only to still revert to merely a Skype interview with him, which said more than I needed to know. Nevertheless, it was painless, and there weren't a lot of technical questions being thrown at me, which was very surprising. I don't know how I'd run a tech business and not want to discuss a portfolio or see "proof" of ability rather than just taking one's word for it. I have had other interviews where I've been asked to solve problems on the spot, or to write actual code to do "x". There was none of that here. It was more conceptual, such as wanting to know what my strengths were and were not.

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I wanted to leave my current company, so I candidly provided truthful answers from my perspective relating to questionable ethics of my company along with poor team leadership and supervision regarding broken processes and very poor morale due to a culture of fear running rampant throughout my company. Apparently, my truthful answers were too much according to the feedback I received from my recruiter. I guess perhaps I'd have been better off sugar coating it and not telling the accurate truth despite being asked the question, however, I only know one way to answer a question, and that's honestly and accurately. All I have to say is don't ask the question if you don't want the truth. I'm glad though that it turned out this way, as I'd never want to work at a place that doesn't hold transparency and honesty in the highest regard.   Answer Question

Production Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AccuWeather.COM (State College, PA) in February 2012.

Interview

Submitted resume via website. Talent manager contacted via email to schedule interview. Interviewed by 3 supervisors. Offered job.

Negotiation

Zero negotiation. Take it or leave it mentality.