Achievement First Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 5, 2014
20 interviews

3.4

Elementary School Music Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Achievement First in July 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter and interviewed on the phone. She then invited me in for a demo lesson. After my demo lesson, I met with the principal, and then had a follow up interview with him on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • If I were to call your current employer, what would he/she say is your weakest link?   Answer Question

Elementary School Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Achievement First in December 2013.

The first step was filling out a very in-depth online application. Less than a week later, I was invited to participate in 30 minute phone interview. I had a variety of dates and times to choose from. I was given information as to what I could expect during the phone interview. In the end, it felt more like a conversation than anything else. One week after the phone interview, I was asked to submit 2-3 lesson plans, one unit lesson plan, an assessment, and respond to a prompt. I was given 10 days to complete them. In less than a week, I was invited to a finalist day where I toured the school, observed a few classrooms, taught a 30-minute demo lesson, and participated in an interview that consisted of the leadership team. The interview itself was a debrief of my demo lesson. We spoke about what we think went well, what we think I could work on, etc. It was a very positive experience and I appreciated the time put into the whole process. One week later, I received a call from the principal who offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • As an educator, should you be demanding or understanding? (not exact wording)   Answer Question

Special Education Coordinator Interview

Very positive. Encouraging. Sounds like a great place to work with high standards for the students. I was contacted immediately with a request for a teaching video. Being that I do not have a prerecorded video and it is summer, I am not sure I will be able to meet that request.

Student Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Achievement First in May 2013.

Three phases of The application and interview process. First detailed questions online, then a phone interview, and finally an interview at the school. The school interview was with several members of the leadership team, mostly just discussions, though there was a skills-based piece as well. Questions were aimed at work style and organizational method. Skills-based testing used real projects you would work on in the position.

Interview Questions
    • Not question as much as a technical skills task that required me working with data and spreadsheet formatting I wasn't familiar with or fully knew how to interpret.   Answer Question

Student Services Manager (Ops Associate ) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bridgeport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, CT

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Achievement First in April 2014.

I met with the Operation direction and manager and they were both very pleasant. After the formal 1: 1 I had to complete a skills test. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was the skills test. It was pretty vague but as long as you give it 100% that is all you could do at that moment   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Achievement First.

Online Application

Support from recruitment director

Sample lesson

Debrief of sample lesson

In person interview with principal

Interview Questions
    • Can you handle being on a team with a unique school culture that may be different from how you ran your classroom in another school?   Answer Question

Teacher-In-Residence Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Achievement First.

Process took about a month. I filled out the application online and heard back a week later. I was given a phone interview. Then, I was invited down for a finalist day. I spent 2.5 hours walking around the school and observing classes. After this, I gave a 10 minute demo lesson. I got overwhelmingly positive feedback on my lesson from the Principal. The only critique made was that I ought not look a child in the eye when calling on him or her nor should I stand near the student. I should have asked the other students to "track" that student instead. I was also taught to lower my tone when giving instructions to students. I thought the demo-lesson interview process went phenomenally, but was rejected within two days.

High School Teacher Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Achievement First.

Interview consists of a school tour, demo lesson and interview with dean and principal. Expect to be onsite for an entire day. Interactions with current staff were minimal. Everyone was very busy during my visit. It is clear that everyone at this school is working very hard. After my demo, I received an offer two days later.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

The entire interview process is repetitive, inefficient, generally irritating, and L-O-N-G (two months). First they have you give a simple phone interview. Then, they assign you a skills test that will make you want to die. The idea of the test isn't unreasonable, but the lack of clarity and direction given is asinine. Then, they give you a SECOND test to complete. At this point you start to realize that you are basically doing someone's work that they don't want to do. Then another repetitive, pointless phone interview (except this time you're told that working 60 hours/week is the absolute minimum).

I was then asked to come in for a five-hour interview. Yes, that's right: Five hours. During which time you meet with the same people multiple times (repetitive, inefficient) who essentially patronize you the entire interview. You are given case studies to complete and are expected to do long division in your head while the interviewer watches you. Nobody looks you in the eye except to make sure that you see them rolling theirs.

It is VERY apparent that Achievement First is run on a culture of fear and oppression. Nobody looks happy. It is also quite strange to realize that a charter school network that is made up of primarily minority students is run by an office of primarily white people (just an observation). Huge waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions are pretty typical and pointless.   Answer Question

Couldn't stand the few people I met or the way I was treated.

Teacher Interview

Was asked to prepare a model lesson, deliver the lesson and meet with someone from their recruitment/ HR team. Also got the chance to look around the school to ask questions and observe classrooms. The interview was fairly straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall the specific questions but mainly they asked about what you see during your observation and discuss the model lesson.   Answer Question

Worked for Achievement First? Contribute to the Community!